Thread: Standpipe Opps

Forum Member

On my last department, which had 3-5 story hotels, office buildings and college dorms in it's district, the SOP was for the first due engine to hit the sprinkler system. If they were the only company on scene, they would go up and investigate. Search and fire attack (bringing up the high-rise kit) would be assigned to later arriving companies if there was a fire. All of our systems used a single connection for sprinkler and standpipe, so we never had to make that choice. Only the buildings located on the same hill with the water tower had a pump because of the low sysstem pressure there.

Search and fire attack teams would haul up high-rise kits. Search team was required to have a line if there was active fire, so they would make connections and be a assigned 1 of the 2 1.75"s. Fire attack would be assigned the other.

In the 17 years I was there, we did not have a single fire where the sprinkler system did not extinguish it prior to our arrival. We were a big believer in letting the system do the job for us. All of our buildings that had a standpipe system also had a sprinkler system, with the exception of the college dorms. they have since been retrofitted with sprinklers.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-09-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Forum Member

1st in Engine hits the connection while the crew heads to the fire floor, 2nd due Engine also connects and it's crew heads to the fire floor for manpower and extra lines.

Forum Member

Our first in Engine to the front of the building if connections are there then the Engineer/ Driver will connect FDC. The Capt and Firefighter will go to fire floor for possible rescue. The Firefighter has a Hose Kit and the Capt has the Irons.They connect on floor below and then do a quick interior size up. However if the FDC is not located on the A side the 2nd in due engine grabs the FDC and grabbed the hydrant as well. Where composite so the vollies respond in their POV to the scene. Works for us. 1st in engine always prepares for rescue and water second. We do not use the solid bore nozzles how ever combination fog. Not saying this is right But I like our method.

Forum Member

Ist due engine crew & officer to floor below the fire with tools & high rise kits, make connection to standpipe and flake out. Ist due chauffer connects to FDC while crew is heading up. 2nd due hydrant man and chauffer- water supply while FF & Officer head up with tools and hose packs( Hydrant man goes up with hose pack after getting water. Ist due truck crew(2 men) goes inside( force entry, vent ,search, etc), bucket man and chauffer set up truck and ladder, unless fire is up too high. Rescue inside for search, force entry, etc. DC Aide - elevators. 2nd due truck inside/outside as DC sees fit.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

First Due Engine will go right into building. The CO with 1 FF will go find out what we got and what we need. If a true fire, the rest of the crew will go to the fire floor, with there high rise equipment. Second Due Engine gets the plug. Two Ladder Companies vent and go to the roof. Third Due Engine go's into help the First Due Company.

---Also, if a true fire a forth or fifth Engine will be called in.

www.PineBluffFire.com
    "BEST IN THE SOUTH"

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Standpipe kit/Officer's bag

What does your dept. include in the standpipe kit or officer's bag and what are you using for the bag? I've completed a program for our dept. and we've purchased Bucket Boss bags (Gate Mouth Jr.) for our various fittings ie. reducers, rope, wire brush, valve wheel etc...Also, does anyone utilize an inline guage for their standpipe operation's? I was considering it but a few "higher up's" thought they weren't necessary. I disagree completely...

Forum Member

No bag for the high rise pack. Hook up man has the spare wheels, reducers, and spanner tied onto his hose pack near the coupling. Hook up man also carries the irons in, so it would be a pain in the a## to carry a whole seperate bag. Works for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Just curious how other departments handle standpipe operations in hi-rise buildings.

Our county SOG is for the first due engine company too abandon the rig, and have the entire crew go to the fire floor. The second due is too supply the system.

I dont agree with this at all. I belive the engineer from the first due should supply the system while the rest of the crew goes in.

My thought here is, if you follow the SOG, your putting your entire crew at the mercy of the buildings system. I look at this way, I would rather have 3 FFs on the floor and know I have water then too have 4 and hope I do. Keep in mind, this SOG makes no allowences for buildings with standpipes but no fire pump.

Am I wrong here? Is this how everyone else does it?

BTW, we get 4 paid engines on the first alarm to a hi-rise, so a delay due to volunteer staffing is not an issue.
    1) stage the engine companies on the floor below and stretch to the fire floor
    2) 1st due engine supplies the standpipe
    3) Rule of thumb is: 1 engine per line in operation
    4) 2 1/2" handline with 1 1/8" smoth bore
    5) Pressure gauge on discharbe outlet
    6) Supplying pumper gets one line into siamese then the other when operator has time
    7) Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Consider this

All of these things considered; don't forget we gear our operations for what could reasonably go wrong, and not for the routine fire. History has shown that stuff happens. i.e- contractors working in bldg, bldg under renovation/ construction and attendant increase in fireload. Re: sprinklers-if the sprinklers fail (4% of the time), good chance the s-pipe is compromised too. Think the Hi-rise fire in Philly, or the "blow torch effect fire" in NY a few years back. All of these things can and do happen. The principal of having our own permanent water supply is sound in hi-rises as well.

Thread Information