MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rookie To The Forums

Hey guys, I am new to writing in the Forums but I read them all the time. You guys are full of info. I am a 24 year old Volunteer Firefighter in the Houston area. I have been Firefighter for about a year and a half and it is the most fun I have ever had. There is only one problem. I dont have a weak stomach and I can handle pretty much anything. The only thing that I have a problem with is the sight of a patient vomiting. For some reason my stomach can not handle that. I know that there is something that can be done for this. I wouls appreciate any help that I can get.

Forum Member

I don't have any EMT training or experience myself, but some of my buddies who are EMTs and have alot of experience say that the way to beat that is to put some of that Vic's chest rub right under your nose to overpower the smell of the vomit.

You might try it even if you are bothered by the sight of someone vomiting. Sometimes taking away one sense is enough to take care of the problem.

Like I said, I have no personal experience with this...but its something to try.

Good luck, stay safe.
    "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess that's just the cowboy in us all" - George Strait

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Welcome to the forums! As for the weak stomach thing, I'm afraid I don't have an answer. Not much bothers me. The only time I've ever felt sick was at a particularly upsetting call in which I couldn't do anything for the young lady..... That on was just too much.

Good luck in all your endeavors!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS. STAY SAFE.

District Chief

Welcome.....drop the caps lock....no need to YELL!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry.....Lil hard of hearing......HAHAHA

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

As a person who has alot of experience (20 years) the only true way to deal with the problem at hand is to get used to it, believe me it will take time but just remember you are there to help and the person is really sick. Most of it is in your mind.

I was an emt for 5 years (about 10 years ago now) and am just getting back into it again. From what I remember pretty much everyone had at least one weekness and they just tried to avoid it. For me it was these damn gauze packings when someone had a huge cyst and had to have that 1/4" wide gauzed shoved in their cyst. To me that was disguisting and I could handle gunshot wounds, MVA's etc.

Good with the bad I guess and remember to turn away, and sing to yourself or something to help from hearing the noise it makes

Andy

Thread Information