MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hey BC79er - What's up with that?

BC,

Just wondering if you knew why they removed the option to print the entire application until it was completed and submitted?

"Printing the entire application will be enabled after the application period ends"

I found this option very useful to help had it out to other sets of "eyes" to look over the app for any mistakes, errors etc...

Seems silly to have this option shut down until AFTER the app period....

Just my $.02....
    Ahwaga Ladder Co# 5 - "We Still Live"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Even after you submit, prior to the close of the app period, you can call the Helpdesk to unlock your application to fix a mistake if you find one. So it might be an attempt to save trees since you won't be able to print it, find a mistake, change it, then print another copy. I'm kidding, I doubt they thought of the tree angle.

They may have changed the function libraries in the background that do the printing. They could be coming out as PDFs this year, in which case it would be somewhat memory and storage intensive to have to continually print different version of the same application. Personally, it doesn't bother me one way or the other, the only thing I have people check is the narrative, and I email that out in a Word doc. The other stats are cut and dry so there's no real reason I can think of to have anyone else in the department double check them.

I don't have any more $.02, I gave it all out. I have one more narrative to tweak for a client, then my own department's to submit. Then the brain will be off to the Astros game tomorrow after work to pay too much for watered down beer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, I was told if everyone printed them prior to the end, it assists in shtting the server down, and bogs their system down even further. Maybe or maybe not the case?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Definitely the case. Even if it isn't spitting out PDFs, the web server still has to serve out another page, and the database server where all of the data from the app is stored, has to spit that out to the web page template to create what we print out. All takes processor time. And I doubt they have an up to date network configuration to handle the traffic. Quite a server farm they'd have to build to handle 10K concurrent users. I work for the technology company that supports the largest title insurance company in the world. They own us, same company if you want to argue about it, details. We have a couple floors dedicated to redundant server farms systems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I came across that on their site that it said it was because of their servers, to prevent crashing. I was however able to print my application several times to proof read, just did it one section at a time. Didn't take too long really. Good luck to everyone!

Beth

MembersZone Subscriber

I was given the same info. They did not want the system to get bogged down with everyone printing out their applications. It can still be done, but you have to print out the application section by section. No bid deal, I'll wait until Saturday to print it out for the files.

I have to agree with BC79er with everything being equal the narrative is extremely important. I have people outside and inside the department review the narrative. As for the figures I just verify my own work. I can make the case that departnments may want to have someone else verify the numbers.

This year a neighboring chief asked if I would look at their application and narrative. At first glance I had two figures that sent up red flags. The first was thier % of personnel costs vs. operating budget it seemed to be too low. Ultimately it was, they forgot to include call salaries which in turned increased the % by double. Their mutual aid calls both giving/recieving were low, agian was increased after review. The chief stated after reviewing the application last year did not find any mistakes, until he reviewed for info for this year. He had made a $1,000,000 error. Actual average budget < $400,000. As for the narrative, I gave him suggestions on how to improve it to provide a better case for the equipment they were looking for. If anything, they recieved a lower computer score than they probably should have, eventually they did recieve a DJ.

Forum Member

Originally posted by BC79er
    Even after you submit, prior to the close of the app period, you can call the Helpdesk to unlock your application to fix a mistake if you find one.
    Well, this appears to be NOT true. I called this morning to see about fixing a mistake in my narrative and they told me they DON'T have the ability to unlock your app to fix a mistake.

Do I need to kick this up to 'manager'?

Thanks and Good Luck to all!
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't know. Maybe they got tight-butt syndrome now that they're over with DHS. Although it was done last year, but who knows. Might be like Customer Service anywhere else, you have to get the right person in the right mood. When I called about the Preparer info and whether or not mine should go there even though I wasn't the one submitting the app, just a consultant and narrative writer, they had to put me over to the Program Helpdesk, different section. Can try that angle.

Or they may just not allow it anymore. I had one client's go through last year even though the narrative prices didn't match the budget page. They still go by the budget page, which is to say that the pricing in the narrative isn't really that important. Just the concepts and ability to relate the situation using their metrics. Stay tuned, more to come on that subject at a later date.
    Last edited by BC79er; 04-08-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Forum Member

Don't know. Maybe they got tight-butt syndrome now that they're over with DHS. Although it was done last year, but who knows. Might be like Customer Service anywhere else, you have to get the right person in the right mood. When I called about the Preparer info and whether or not mine should go there even though I wasn't the one submitting the app, just a consultant and narrative writer, they had to put me over to the Program Helpdesk, different section. Can try that angle.

Or they may just not allow it anymore. I had one client's go through last year even though the narrative prices didn't match the budget page. They still go by the budget page, which out to say that the pricing in the narrative isn't really that important. Just the concepts and ability to relate the situation using their metrics. Stay tuned, more to come on that subject at a later date.
    Thanks for the information. I am kinda guessing that that might be the case with DHS...and leave it to me to call with less than 8 hours to go to find a mistake and want to fix it...after I submitted it. Oh, well.

Thanks again!
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

Forum Member

Even after you submit, prior to the close of the app period, you can call the Helpdesk to unlock your application to fix a mistake if you find one. So it might be an attempt to save trees since you won't be able to print it, find a mistake, change it, then print another copy. I'm kidding, I doubt they thought of the tree angle.

I tried to get them to unlock an application and they will not unlock it after you submit it unless you have a secret way Brian?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They must have changed all of that. Sorry, no back woods way.

District Chief

you can still print the entier application. On my application I went to print and just selected each section... Takes a minute or two longer, but it still works.... I used it to read over my package too before submitting...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information