MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone include a "Regional Project"?

Anyone include a regional project in you dept appliation?

Prepared one as "addon" to our FD tanker app. But concerned it would have throw our computer score out of wack listing a $1M project project for a small rural dept.

Oh to know the secrets of the scoring rules set.
    Last edited by neiowa; 04-08-2005 at 01:01 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depending on what it was, it probably would have. Not attached to your application though. I consulted on one regional application this year and had to re-read all of those rules. The host department can only apply for the regional project, and has to list the other departments involved. The other departments can apply on their own for other things, as long as there's no overlap of equipment between the two. So one department can host the upgrade of the county communications system, the rest can ask for hose, trucks, SCBA, whatever. So if you were asking for the tanker, someone else needed to host the big dog.

At $1 million, it will probably get looked at regardless of who plays the host, but personal advice is to have the largest department involved act as the host. Too far between the budget and the request probably makes Big Blue really scratch his head wondering where the matching monies would come from.

Hopefully they change the application to accomodate more regional projects in a friendlier manner. Could be as simple as a radio button to mark that yes it's a regional project, that way there's no chance of dropping one for seemingly asking for too much money. Maybe I'll have to make a phone call about that. It worked on getting them to allow contingency contracts for writing fees. Of course I didn't find out until it was too late to change mine. Last year it was completely illegal to offer writing on a contingency basis (if you win pay me X, otherwise it's free). This year you could do it, but the fees weren't reimbursable.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC thanks for the grant help/discussion.

Went back and forth on the issue for days finally 1hr left and went ahead and included the region app. Decided to go big. As last year, when went for 100% issue on turnout, SCBA, misc (lot easier than a vehicle to be sure).

Last major project of the 8 we had 2 years ago is to replace our home built tanker. We're looking good for a poor rural dept. Just put into service our wildland/brush truck (the former USAF 4x4 IH dump) and the only major thing we need is a big tanker. Not going to buy one on a $12000/yr budget. Our current unit is a single rear axle former farm truck, 170000mi with a 2600gal former milk tank installed. Unbaffled, over GVWR, little gasoline farm pump, no NFPA equipment. Unsafe.

We need bulk/big water so went for pumper tanker 3500gal 1500gpm rer mount. With CAFS. I think a good story. CAFS case in rural is reasonable and proper. Went for the customcab (carry our manpower safely, rehab, longlife, etc), with full equipment for tanker water supply, LDH lay, CAFS, and pumper. Big # for our size community calls etc so even if a good app likely a long shot.

SO under the theory of attack or stay home I left in the regional tanker project for our county in the app. 4ea 5000gal tankers with portable pumps and turbodrafts. Max the thing out. Heck, there's room for 125 max vehicle grants.

Feeling lucky - I figure if we make the cut for the pumper tanker at all the Regional Project is not going to keep us out. After that my narrative makes the case or it doesn't. I think works. So make it past HAL. Leave out the computer scoring and a gimmee.

Backup plan in play using DOD surplus equipment.

Go big or go home

District Chief

I know that Pinellas County Florida (see Sate forums) did a regional request to equip all apparatus in the jurisdiction with GPS...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information