Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Tampa Fla--Dispute with Post Office leads to Arson Attempt

St. Petersburg Times

N.J. man accused of arson attempt
    By SHANNON COLAVECCHIO-VAN SICKLER, Times Staff Writer
    Published April 6, 2005

--------------------------

TAMPA - Authorities say New Jersey resident James Douglas Wadsack, in town for a tattoo convention, was so angry about an unsuccessful attempt to pick up a package at a Tampa post office, he returned after hours and tried to set the federal building's storage shed on fire.

Wadsack, 22, was arrested Monday afternoon by a Tampa Fire Marshal investigator who caught him trying to sneak out of his third-floor hotel room in the Westshore area, said Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Capt. Bill Wade.

Wadsack is charged with first-degree arson, burglary of a structure, and opposing an officer without force. Listed in jail records as an unemployed resident of Linden, N.J., he was held without bail.

"Mr. Wadsack will probably end up facing federal charges," Wade said. Wade said Wadsack's arrest stems from a Saturday incident at the post office at 4009 W Spruce St.

Wadsack, attending the sixth annual Tampa Bay Florida Tattoofest with 42-year-old Jean Treacy - who has the same Linden, N.J., address - tried to pick up a package for Treacy, Wade said. But post office workers refused to give Wadsack the package because he did not have proper identification.

"That upset him," said Wade. He described Wadsack as being "irate" toward post office workers.

Wadsack is accused of returning to the office after it closed Saturday afternoon and spilling gasoline from the tank of a piece of lawn equipment, which he took from an unlocked storage building on the property. He allegedly lit the gasoline and left.

The fire did not spread, Wade said, but heat and black soot generated from the burning fuel caused about $18,000 in damage to lawn equipment. Postal workers found evidence of attempted arson when they returned to work Monday morning and immediately called a postal inspector, who called the Tampa Fire Marshal's office.

Investigators, using information on the package Wadsack tried to pick up, found him at the Doubletree Hotel, 4500 W Cypress St., Wade said.

When they knocked on his hotel room door Monday afternoon, he crawled out a window onto a balcony in an attempt to escape, Wade said. The fire marshal investigator caught Wadsack on a second-floor balcony, where he confessed to the arson, Wade said.

This was Wadsack's first arrest in Florida, according to state criminal records.

Shannon Colavecchio-Van Sickler can be reached at 813 226-3373 or svansickler@sptimes.com

[Last modified April 6, 2005, 01:06:15]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Tampa Tribune

Tattoo Artist Accused Of Arson
    By VALERIE KALFRIN vkalfrin@tampatrib.com
    Published: Apr 6, 2005

TAMPA - Jean Treacy's plans to photograph Tattoofest, a tattoo convention at Tampa International Airport's Doubletree Hotel, unraveled this weekend in the worst way she could imagine.
    First, the 42-year-old artist and her boyfriend, James Wadsack, both of Linden, N.J., argued with the people who drove them to Tampa, forcing them to find another way home.

Saturday, the post office at 4009 W. Spruce St. wouldn't release a package of Treacy's promotional cards to Wadsack because the driver's license he showed as identification had expired.

Later that night, he curled into a ball in their hotel room.

``He said he had done something to the post office,'' Treacy said. ``I thought he was kidding.''

Apparently, he wasn't.

Monday, a U.S. postal inspector and Tampa fire marshal knocked on the couple's door, looking for Wadsack, 22. He climbed onto the third- floor hotel room's balcony and down to the balcony below, where they arrested him.

He is accused of setting a maintenance shed at the Spruce Street facility on fire, causing about $18,000 in damage, Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade said.

Wadsack was held at the Orient Road Jail on Tuesday. He is charged with felony first- degree arson, felony burglary and a misdemeanor charge of resisting an officer without violence.

Treacy remained at the hotel Tuesday, torn between going home and helping him.

``They won't give him bail,'' she said, crying. ``I don't know what to do.''

According to Tampa Fire Rescue, Wadsack became ``irate'' after the post office would not release Treacy's package. He entered an unlocked maintenance shed after hours, opened the gas cap on a piece of lawn equipment, tipped it over and ignited the gasoline, Wade said.

No one was injured, Wade said. Postal workers discovered the damage on Monday and remembered Wadsack from Saturday's dispute, he said. Investigators used the information on the package to find him.

A former firefighter, Wadsack is apprenticing as a tattoo artist, Treacy said. He has the words ``break on through,'' from a Doors song, tattooed on his chest and two bees tattooed on his neck, an allusion to a saying from Treacy's father to ``keep on punching'' and roll through the bad times.

Treacy thought he had ``snapped'' because of the stress of his older brother's suicide last year and the fight with their traveling companions. He told her he thought she would break up with him if he returned without the package.

``My God, I don't know what he was thinking,'' she said. ``He's a Mormon. He's never harmed anyone in his whole life.''

Reporter Valerie Kalfrin can be reached at (813) 259-7800.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information