FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default One more application for FREE STUFF!!

Homeland Security Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program

Application Dates: April 5 - May 5, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Homeland Security Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP) is operated by the DHS Office of State and Local Government Coordination & Preparedness (SLGCP) to assist smaller communities in acquiring and using commercially available equipment to prevent, deter, and respond to terrorist attacks, as identified in state homeland security strategies. This competitive program is a direct assistance program, not a grant program, and SLGCP will provide the equipment and technical assistance directly to the selected jurisdictions. The program includes, but is not limited to, interoperable communications equipment, defensive protective equipment for first responders, and vulnerability assessment equipment appropriate to rural jurisdictions.

Application materials can be reviewed March 22 through April 5, 2005, and submitted online between April 5 and May 5, 2005 at the SLGCP Responder Knowledge Base (RKB), hosted by the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism (MIPT), at www.rkb.mipt.org. Successful applicants will be notified this spring.

For more information:

www2.rkb.mipt.org/contentdetail.cfm?content_id=83219
    www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/whatsnew/whats_new.htm

For those that haven't seen it yet, a few folks have asked me about this. I didn't read too deep into it, especially since our 125,000 residents keeps us from being rural, so we don't qualify. I'm sure most would rather have structural stuff, but what the hey, free stuff is free stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting info... According to their cata log most approved items are really focused to law enforcement....FD's look as though thermal cameras and maybe a hazmat suit may be usefull for some..... I personally was interested in the portable listening device with a hidden camera....We could use it in the officers offices and find out what really goes on in there...

MembersZone Subscriber

like BC said "free stuff is free stuff"......so i did look a little further....dosn't look good for the majority of fire departments.

under "Disqualifying Criteria" it says that for a non-law enforcement agency to be eligible you have to be a part of an "organized task force that includes a law enforcement focus."

hope this helps all eligible, but not us this time.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Basically means that you have to have a working relationship with law enforcement. If they show up when called, and you show up when called, then sounds like a relationship to me. Didn't have time to read the whole thing, had an Astros game to get to. Those $7 beers don't just hang around waiting for you to get there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think a town or city's emergency plans that state who does what on a scene that includes both police and fire would satisfy this requirement. At an incident we would have a Task Force of Fire, Police, and EMS.

David Larson

Question

Originally posted by ptfd19
    like BC said "free stuff is free stuff"......so i did look a little further....dosn't look good for the majority of fire departments.

under "Disqualifying Criteria" it says that for a non-law enforcement agency to be eligible you have to be a part of an "organized task force that includes a law enforcement focus."

hope this helps all eligible, but not us this time.
    Isn't arson investigation ( which is ultimately for preventing further loss of life or property = fire prevention ) a law enforcement focus?
    Caffeine is the key to motivation!

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe one of the requirements for this grant is that you have had to be denied other funding from DHS. Good for folks who got turned down by DHS for last year's Fire Act grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just doing 'arson investigation' won't get it. My understanding is that you have to have plans in place, have a SOG or Procedures that specify what your dept., the district/county, etc. and others are doing. In our area there are numerous workshops that individual towns and counties have put on to practice the 'working together'. This is a necessity for grants such as this. Smaller municipalities may have these 'unspoken' but it does need to be spelled out...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

"Eligible applicants include jurisdictions not currently receiving funding under the Urban Areas Security Initiative (UASI). " - web site

And from the Guidance Doc:
    Applications may be delayed or denied for the following reasons:
    1. Applicants must show that their jurisdictions could not obtain advanced equipment through other DHS programs such as the SHSP or UASI Programs.
    2. Jurisdictions that have received equipment through these grant programs in the pastmay be ineligible for CEDAP assistance.
    3. Although UASI sites are generally ineligible, law enforcement agencies within a UASI area that have not received assistance through the UASI program are eligible.
    4. Non-law enforcement agencies such as fire and EMS may be eligible if they are part of an organized task force operation that includes a law enforcement focus. An example would be a Terrorism Early Warning (TEW) project.

Being awarded under the FireACT doesn't automatically exclude you, especially since the priorities under this program are different than the AFG. You couldn't have gotten any HazMat equipment out of AFG if you tried, it's a low priority. Anything that you didn't/couldn't apply for in AFG that they have listed for this program, you can apply for and shouldn't be excluded because you really have no other chance to acquire this equipment. They're mostly aiming the disqualifications at law enforcement and major cities that receive boatloads of money through the UASI funding program.

The only way to guarantee not getting funded is to not apply. Let them decide on whether or not you have an awardable cause. The application takes about 20 minutes to fill out, and there's no narrative. Which is really great for those that hated essay tests in school.

Thread Information