Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    former FH.com member

Question opinions on Interspiro SCBA's

Ok, so my Dept. is getting all new SCBA's and in the process is changing over from Scott to the Interpiro S4. (I know, I know..I like the Scott's too and I have no idea why the City wants to change brands) Does anyone here have any experience with the S4? I'm looking for actual operational knowledge, not just heresay please. Pro's-Con's...concerns etc.. Thanks.
    Last edited by SAFD46Truck; 02-04-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Thumbs up

Interspiros are nice SCBAs Very comfortable to wear and they have Ambient air valves on them so you can switch from bottled air to Ambient with out taking off regulator or mask.
    My department uses scotts right now but id rather have the interspiros
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Interspiros suck. Ask the Air Force, they bought thousands of them about 8 years ago, and are now going to Scotts. Luckily, the Marine Corps Crash community held out, and now we're getting Scotts too.

Default they suck...

Interspiro has always sucked. They were first built for
    the military and you know what that means- "Low bid".

They are simply junk and I hate using them. The face
    piece is very sensitve and not designed for firefighting.
    My own experience, the face piece activates just my
    moving it around. So when I turn on the bottle, its
    flowing air after I just checked it and reset it.

Look at FDNY's Scotts. They go through hell, back and
    keep working. On the West coast, they are used by some
    of the major FDs here- Orange County Fire Authority, city
    of Sacramento and the Ventura County Fire Department.
    Thats about 120+ fully staffed stations right there with
    them online.

I like the Scott facepiece because I can don and wear
    it for the duration of the incident and simply click
    in and out as needed. They dont fog up and I can talk
    normal without the need to yell through the mask.

One note on Interspiro, we had a Chief buy them because
    he was dead set even when we begged for the Scotts.
    He bragged about getting the "Air force 2 for 1 bottle
    deal". Please keep in mind these were 1 hour bottles that
    got worn daily. Later we find out, he got a free set of
    personal golf clubs with the package. Bingo! Finally in his
    career, that Chief was terminated for other backdoor, shady
    dealings.

The picture below says it all and they are wearing Scotts.

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-08-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

As a former civilian CFR firefighter for the Air National Guard I can attest to the fact that the Interspiros the military bought sucked. They were not used friendly in the least. The little finger nail sized switch on the face piece was a royal pain in the butt. The spiro hatch is a JOKE, it is no where near as easy to breath through as is the Scott or the new MSA's with the regulator off the face piece.

Further, when ours first came in they didn't even have the spirohatch on them so you were either masked up and breathing air or the face piece was off your face. When the area rep came around to change them out he didn't have a clue how to do it. I modified and updated all the face pieces myself. What a customer service network!!

There are more reasons to buy Scott or MSA than you can possibly name for buying Interspiro. Unless low bid is all that matters.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

The Interspiros we used in the military were junk. One even fell apart while worn in a fire (Plastic straps shattered). While overseas, we obtained 8 newer models. They pack itself seemed much more sturdy, but there were still maintenance nightmares with the mask and breathing valves. I would take on old Scott IIA demand style SCBA before I'd wear an Interspiro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello,

We have had several differeent versions and they are all JUNK. We have been trying to get them to change. Here are some other threads on the subject

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...ght=interspiro

and

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=46193

Gary

They were first built for
    the military and you know what that means- "Low bid".

Yeah...no.

My fire company in a fit of madness bought some several years before the Air Force ever adopted them. They weren't designed or built for the military, the Air Force simply adopted a commercial item.

I prefer the Scotts, and we're all Scott for operations now. The last of the Interspiros are in a "reserve" capacity on a tech-rescue trailer and I think they'll be retired by not replacing the composite bottles as they hit their 15 year life time over the next couple years. I think the first ones turn 15 this year.

Let's go back 15 years. At the time Interspiro entered the market you had two major companies -- Scott and MSA. I guess Surviair, but you never saw them on the east coast. Scott was very arrogant -- no matter what they built, they assumed people would buy it. Comfort, quality, weight, who cares, we're Scott. MSA was even further behind the techinical curve. Cairns was starting to play around in the market, but they were new to the SCBA world.

We evaluated them. Us firefighters found the Interspiros more comfortable to wear, quicker to don, and felt lighter (I think they were actually slightly heavier than Scott, but the weight was distributed better). The Chief & Deputy liked the engineering and support (Interspiro in the U.S. was in our state and really pushing customer service to start selling packs...)

If you like "European" style engineering, Interspiro is great. If you prefer "American" style engineering, Scott is great.

Since that time, Scott got their act together and improved their product development and customer service. Most of our members started preferring the Scott's due to the simpler face piece (two straps to pull v. five; detachable Mask Mounted Regulator), and I also think for the "young bucks" advanced SCBA training started to include some special tactics geared towards Scotts that interspiro's original design couldn't handle -- "catcher's mask" style face mask donning, using SCBA straps for firefighter rescue, easier "low profile" manuevers, etc. Interspiro has done re-design to try and emulate the Scotts more with their face piece straps and going from a single integrated waist/shoulder belt to seperate belts. Still, with the improvements in Scott's business side, the pendulum tilted back to Scott and we returned to Scott.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Default Interspiro

I dont think the interspiro is a budget pack, actually they are one of the most expensive models on the market . I have used the same pack in numerous interior fires over the last eight years.The pack I use has been well tested, the mask is brown around the edges because I came out of a house one night hit the ground got sprayed off to cool me down and put out the small glowy things on my helmet that were burning. This pack has never failed me.One guy from another shift broke the inside air / outside air gate one night and I replaced it. We also have Dragers and buy new masks all the time, they feel really cheap to me, not to mention the sideways air hook up is confusing at night. I like the Interspiro so much I bought my AGA full face mask for public safety diving , they are the most common mask used in the diving world for full face and public safety if you look around. Yes I sell fire equipment too and no I am not an interpsiro dealer. We spend alot less money on parts than our neighbor department who uses Scott.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice resurrection.....

LOL!!! It took a few seconds to kick in. I guess 'ol Bou gets to say- I told you so!

Forum Member

Anyone here from San Antone?

I believe Interspero's were the packs they had repeated failures with and ended up switching to Scott a year or two ago.

I can't confirm it though.

Thread Information