Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: EMT/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMT/Paramedic

All

I am 41 years old and I am employed full time as a Telecommunications Engineer. I am Taking the Firefighters exam Saturday April 16th in Charlotte and have enrolled in Paramedic School for this fall. I am excited about this possible move but one thing concerns me.... I have seen blood and guts in my tours of Beiruit Lebanon. I am not afraid of much but my one weakness is I can not stand to see children that are hurt, ingured, or abused. This is my weak spot. Not to say that I would not be able to treat them but I believe it could have an serious impact on me. I was wondering if anyone has already been through a similar insedent might be able to shed light on how they delt with it. My desire to help people is their but this fear lingers in the back of my mind constantly.

Respectfully

Kenneth R. Beaudoin

MembersZone Subscriber

BEAUDOINKR,
    FIRST OF ALL CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION TO DO THE GREATEST JOB IN THE WORLD AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAM. I HAVE BEEN TO COUNTLESS ACCIDENTS AND OR INCIDENTS THAT INVOLVE CHILDREN, I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MYSELF WHEN I SAY THIS BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO OVERCOME THE FEAR OF SEEING A CHILD IN DANGER. I JUST KEEP REMINDING MYSELF THAT I AM THERE TO HELP. THE TOUGHEST PART PROBABLY WILL NOT BE AT THAT INSTANT THAT YOU ARRIVE ON SCENE AND YOU SEE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CHILD. THE UNEASYNESS COMES WHEN YOU GET BACK TO THE FIREHOUSE AND YOU LAY DOWN AND TRY TO FALL ASLEEP. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU CANNOT, MUST NOT KEEP INSIDE. YOU MUST TALK ABOUT THIS WITH SOMEONE THAT YOU CAN TRUST. HOPEFULLY YOUR STATION WILL HAVE A CHAPLAIN. THIS IS A GREAT PERSON TO TALK TO. MY FIRST CHILD INCIDENT WAS HARD TO DEAL WITH BUT I OVERCAME IT BY CONTINUOUSLY TALKING ABOUT IT AND NOT KEEPING IT ALL INSIDE. YOU MUST TALK ABOUT IT. DO NOT TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU. I HAVE SEEN INCIDENTS WHEN A FIREFIGHTER TAKES THIS STUFF HOME WITH HIM AND IT DESTROYS HIS LIFE. IM NO TELLING YOU THIS TO SCARE YOU BUT SIMPLY INFO. TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK. IF YOU HAVE ANY PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT ochmonster@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Unhappy children

The kid angle in most these type of jobs never leaves you. The thing is to talk and possible write it down. I find that by writting it down I feel like it's more officially off me. I also play alot of hard racquetball (preferably alone)until I calm down a bit. Then go back to talking about it. I find treating the child the way I would want my child or sibling treated helps when I have to face myself later. Sometimes it's all you have left. If you wish to talk anytime, feel free to pm me.

JoJo

Hi. I am only 19 but i was 18 when i saw male that was 18 in a very tragic accident. It was kind of tough to see someone the same age as me to lose their life when they have so much ahead of them. It was hard on a lot of the guys that I worked that accident with, but we had a debriefing on it to help all of us out. The best thing to do is to talk to someone about it. Don't be affraid to talk to someone if something bothers you. I just put the event behind me and go on with my life and help those that need help. I don't have time to sit around and sob over one person when there are more people that depend on me to help them out.

Everyone handles things differently you just need to find your way to deal with it and then put it into action when it is needed. Good luck and best wishes! If you need more e-mail me at KShereeP4@yahoo.com

Thread Information