Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jane

MembersZone Subscriber

Default jane

Opinion: See Jane reappear once again
    By Art Lawler

See beautiful millionaire Jane run barefoot through the park?

Now see ugly Jane put her finger down her throat to get rid of the food in her long bout with bulimia? Poor little rich, Jane.

See Jane strip as she floats through the air at the beginning of her movie Barbarella?

See Jane jump on the tank with the Viet Cong?
    See Jane be a traitor, thereby assuring herself the role as the most hated female of the Vietnam fiasco?

See Jane drop out of Hollywood to live in the suburbs and be plain without a maid or even an automatic dishwasher?

See Jane drop back in and marry a billionaire and do the tomahawk when the Atlanta Braves are in the world series?

Athens Review

See Jane, healthy and pretty too, even as she nears 60, as she peddles her exercise videos?

See Jane becoming a born again Christian?

See billionaire Ted taking a hike from his born-again wife?

See Jane write a book -- about Jane. "My Life -- Up to Now?"

See Jane talk with Charlie Rose? "Are you happy now? He's asking her. "Oh yes, I'm very, very happy, she says, her eyes filled with tears and her voice shaking.

See the angry Vietnam Vets? Didn't they see Jane's apologies?

The apologies:

"It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless." [expressing regret at her support for the Viet Cong]

And:

"The image of Jane Fonda, Barbarella, Henry Fonda's daughter ... sitting on an enemy aircraft gun (in North Vietnam) was a betrayal ... The largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine."

I'm not sure what irritates me more, that Jane Fonda wants forgiveness from the soldiers, or that it might be the right thing for them to do.

I'm not thinking about Jane's benefit when I say that. I've talked to too many of these soldiers and I've heard the hatred they've held onto all these years.

If I had been sent to Vietnam I think I might not have been able to forgive Hanoi Jane, either. But what a price to pay for the luxury of such intense hatred.

When Jane talks about the liars in the Nixon administration, she isn't lying. Everybody knows about General Westmoreland's secret fears now, of how he misled the troops, expecting loyalty and the ultimate sacrifice in return for his own dishonesty.

And the 58,000 soldiers died for what, again, General?

First Johnson, then the Nixon administration, chastised the war protesters and demanded the participation of a generation of teenagers and young adults, many who now have missing limbs, who still remember being spat upon when they returned home after believing in their leaders.

In the end, the politicians were discredited. Most of the war protesters eventually grew up enough to blame the right people, and it damn sure wasn't the drafted soldiers doing their duty on the other side of the world.

Soldiers don't get to veto the decisions of their superiors. Ever.

Here in the autumn of this generation's lives, one does get the sense it's all turning around now, at least for the soldiers and their places in this society. A tad late, obviously.

There's a new documentary out now about the Huey helicopter that played such a role in the Vietnam conflict. It's called "The Shadow of the Blade." Not sure if it's even available in stores yet.

Just the "wopping" sound of the blade of this helicopter in the distance, evoking memories of rescue, injury and death, brings tears of joy and pain to numerous Vietnam vets as it tours the country, landing on plush green lawns in "peaceful" American cities, offering for many, long needed closure.

Bald and gray-headed veterans take turns sitting in the copter, some flying it, remembering stories about the rescues and narrow escapes; stories about being the only live passenger other than the pilot on a trip out of the jungle; stories about unwanted men, with no one to turn to, turning to each other, as much for emotional survival as physical.

After all the debate, all the politics and all the social division, could the simple sound of a helicopter blade finally crack through the thick walls of debate that have separated Americans for so long?

I doubt it, but I hope I'm wrong.

See Jane's mess? See Henry's little girl step right in the middle of it? See how she can't get out?

See how an entire generation seems to be stuck in the same mess with her?

Forum Member

And now she wants to make another movie because she is out of money. Seems her ship just ran aground. My suggestion is we float the ship and send it back to sea with her on it. Then we conduct a stragic tactical assault and see what happens.

Thread Information