MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Unhappy Why, Why, Why??????????????

Why do people not wear seatbelts? We had a 2 car MVC this morning and if one of the gentlemen would have had his seatbelt on, he would have walked away with no injuries. Instead, he was partially ejected through the rear window and suffered a bad head injury. This just makes me sick, How about you? You just see it so many times......

Sorry for the vent session........
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

former FH.com member

I see it all the time too. What drives me nuts is when you're out in the rig and you look down and see some idiot driving next to you with his/her kid unrestrained and crawling all over the place. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....I HATE THAT!!!

Forum Member

No problem. Wish people could see what we see and they would understand why they should wear their seatbelt. The only one I ever seen where it benifitted the guy not to have a seatbelt on was because he was drunk. Killed the guy he was with. but that was one of very many.

MembersZone Subscriber

Vent away, it definitly helps! We had a jack@ss the other morning drunk, speeding, no seatbelt, run a stop sign and split a telephone pole in half. He wound up putting his head through the windshield, ON THE PASSANGER SIDE! 180 stiches in hih face!

I don't have kids yet, but when we do and they start to drive - the second place I take them after drivers ed is to the morgue! That should scare them into obeying teh rules of the road.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

"AHH! That won't happen to me......"

That logic gets people all the time. How many time have you heard the victims say, "out of nowhere" or "all of a sudden" or "just like that". You feel sorry for them because of the pain and suffering, but you just can't help but think, (in the words of JohnBoy) "STUUUUUUUPPID!"
    Last edited by spearsm; 04-12-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

I have a 12 y/o boy & 16 y/o girl, and since they have been old enough to comprehend, I have been taking them to the impound yard after we have done extrications. My kids have been shown the reality of life. I have also explained to them what happened to the pts.
    I used to start my truck then I would belt up, that was until my son freaked out that I wasn't belted & the truck was running. It has changed my habbit, but atleast I had the knowlege that the info got through.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Forum Member

This is one of the things thatr bothers me most - something so simple. Its too late once your dead!

Now I approach it as though it was part of a greater plan NATURAL SELECTION!!!

Only the smart survive
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

On a similiar note ... Why, why, why do firefighter have to be pushed, mandated, threatened and forced by thier superiors to wear thier seatbelts in the rigs after seeing the public get tossed around like rag dolls? Do you wear your seatbelt? Does your crew? Do you have guys on your department that just plain won't, even though there may be a SOP mandating it?

I know here, and I'll be honest about it, we have an SOP that mandates seatbelt usage in the rigs at all times, but it is also our policy to throw our gear in the trucks and bunker up enroute to the call rather in the station. Makes sense huh? The response I get from the Chief is that we need to be concerned about response times.
    I am sure that we are not the only department that does this ... again we walk the walk about firefighter safety, but not talk the talk. Even when not responding, it's like pulling teeth to get some folks to wear them. Why, why, why?

So I guess at we add seat belts to the "Do as I Say, Not as I Do" list. It goes right under drinking and driving, sprinkler systems and smoke detectors/alarm systems .....

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting timing.
    Just in last night's local paper on the editorial page, a female teen-ager thought that anyone over the age of eighteen should be able to make the decision to wear a seat belt or not.
    Her logic was that people only put them on when they see a cop.
    Very flawed thinking from the future generation.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Her logic was that people only put them on when they see a cop.
    Local radio station near me advertises where police "seat belt" checkpoints are so people know when to put them on before they are caught.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Would that be typical per the name "The Rat" ?????
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

MembersZone Subscriber

My two kids are old enough to drive, and have never seen their mother or I start the car without being belted in. They have also heard me come home and "decompress" after having been on a run where the seat belt wasnt used, and it would have made the difference. Both of them are very good about buckling up. I am thankful for that. You just never know. My niece had a roll over accident over the weekend and ended up hanging from the seatbelt. She had her seatbelt on and walked away with some scratches and a bump. Thanks for setting up the vent session!

Forum Member

Feel free to vent all you want brother. We are here to help

A few more for the old BP.

Why do people ride motorcycles without helmets?
    Why dont people put small children in car seats?
    Why do people cross the street against the big red hand?
    Why dont people have smoke detectors?
    Why do people go boating without PFDs?

We could go on forever
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

District Chief

Why do people ride motorcycles without helmets?
    Because they are organ donors!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42
    Local radio station near me advertises where police "seat belt" checkpoints are so people know when to put them on before they are caught.
    Holy Cow! Perhaps these same people at the radio station should ride shotgun on the rescue truck for a while.

What a public service they are doing, dumb***** jerks. Sorry been a bad day.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Originally posted by arhaney

Holy Cow! Perhaps these same people at the radio station should ride shotgun on the rescue truck for a while.

What a public service they are doing, dumb***** jerks. Sorry been a bad day.
    The media is good for that. The local fishwrap here has been known to print the location of DUI checkpoints and speed traps. Then again, I guess thats what the PD gets for telling the fishwrap
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Same meat-different gravy

Over here in Kiwi land,we have escalators /moving staircases.
    We also have a large population of people who go barefoot.
    We also have adults who let their very young children sit and play on the aforesaid equipment.
    Whilst I was in the L.F.B. I spent a particularly gruesome couple of hours cutting a small child, whose buttocks had been drawn into the "comb" at the bottom of a moving staircaircase,free from the metal bits and listening to resulting screams and hysterical mother etc.
    Why do the parents look at you as tho you are stupid when you point this out?
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have railed long and hard about this one:

our SK laws state that all occupants IN a vehicle MUST wear seat belts at ALL times while the vehicle is in motion.

BUT (get this...)

You can put your kids in the back of your pickup and drive down the highway at speeds over 120km/hr and there is no law against it even if one of the children looks to be about 3 or 4 yrs old!

For the life of me I just do not understand that. Wouldn't it be reckless endangerment or something??

It really gets my goat!!!
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SANDSTROMJM
    Would that be typical per the name "The Rat" ?????
    Nope, not "The Rat". Someone in the 100's.

In June, we'll be playing softball against them in the stadium.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

A particularly bad call comes to mind. Last summer, van vs. SUV - people in the SUV had on seatbelts, van occupants did not. T bone crash, ALL van occupants ejected. Two DOA, third in critical condition at trauma center. You guessed it, SUV occupants both walked away with only scratches. Perfect example.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Plattsfire2
    A particularly bad call comes to mind. Last summer, van vs. SUV - people in the SUV had on seatbelts, van occupants did not. T bone crash, ALL van occupants ejected. Two DOA, third in critical condition at trauma center. You guessed it, SUV occupants both walked away with only scratches. Perfect example.
    That made me think back to last year, 2 car MVC, 4 in each car. No injuries in one, the other car had in who died later (4 year old) and one very serious condition and the rest with broken bones etc......

Yep no belts in one, everyone with belts on in the other.
    Last edited by arhaney; 04-13-2005 at 01:52 PM.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Stupidity is alive and well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

Looks like the guy is going to make it. I've been taking the "word" to a lot of my customers that come into my shop. Just taking a moment to talk with them and see if they wear them or not. If they do I thank them for doing so and encourage them to keep wearing. If they don't, I try and explain to them how I care about them and explain why they should be wearing them, in a very nice and caring manner. Not being judgemental or anything. Just my own little crusade I guess.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

I've often thought about blowing up pictures of MVA's and posting them on billboards near our station, and doing more at our annual fundraisers. Think it would make a difference? I think if these people see the pictures they'll reconsider. I realize there are many we won't pursuade, but we can hope for them at least, right?

I just went to a funeral last week, a girl I graduated high school with. She and her husband were riding their motorcycle without helmets, he went left of center and hit the oncoming car head on. He was thrown 70 feet and is barely alive, and she was thrown through the windshield. The 18-year old driving the car has been traumatized for life.

The MVA in January that I had a hard time with was a 20 year old driving at least 65 mph on a curvy state route without his seatbelt, drunk too. He lost control (duh!!), uprooted a tree, and broke his neck.

What really burns my cookies is that we don't do any public awareness anymore. We used to host a mock accident at our local high school and put on a program for them to educate them about results of speeding, drinking and driving, etc... Now, everyone says it's too much work and money and it gets put on the back burner.

Forum Member

double fatal on friday night, both in their early twenties, wrapped around a tree on a local road, from the positions they were found in, I don't think either were wearing seatbelts. If I had my camera with me, I would have taken pics, as they show what can happen when you speed on wet roads.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information