Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question MSA - ICM Issues?

Has anyone out there been having issues with MSA SCBA's equipped with ICM's? How about with MSA 30 minute carbon fiber bottles having slow leaks? Has everyone been having to pay over $1,000 to replace the ICM's?

MembersZone Subscriber

DPatey,

My former dept had some problems with our MSA Firehawk ICM's. During weekly routine checks the batteries would be near dead. We would replace them with brand new batteries and sure enough, dead in a week. We were not a busy company either, at most they were used a few times a month. We were lucky, the local MSA rep lived in our district. He was not on our dept but did work for a mutual aid dept. He usually took the ICM off and replaced it with a new one. Eventually the defective ones were all replaced and have had no problems since. No cost to us, thank god. All the units were under one year old. We kept very good records of service and PM.

We did not have any problems with leaking bottles. A dept. in the county above us did. Thier rep. told them they were filling the bottles to rapidly and damaging the gauge causing the slow leak.

Hoped that helped.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

We had 5 that gave us problems. They would eat batteries and were had to reset when the first alarm started to chirp, the normal body giggle would not reset, had to grab it with your hand and shake vigorously. Called MSA told them of the problem. They shipped out 5 new ones with a return lable for UPS. Changed them out and it fixed the problem.

Thumbs up

MSA has gotten back to us and has agreed to replace all 26 ICM's at their cost. Hopefully this will rectify the issues we have been having with the older version.
    Thanks for the input

Forum Member

Default MSA 2216 Carbon Fiber Bottles

DPatey,
    I have been repairing MSA for fourteen years and have had the same problems with ICM's ours were last years models, our Rep. replaced them and since then no problems. Re: 30 min cylinders, Our dept has at present 460 2216 carbon fiber bottles and have been using them for 10 years Iin that time I have had 3 fail hydro for expansion problems and cannot say I have had ANY promlems with leaks of any kind. This is of course in warm weather, I am not sure if the cold has anything to do with it or not.

Thread Information