Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Default Here Kitty Kitty......This is sick!

I never did like cats...but this is a little crazy!!!

MADISON, Wis. (April 12) - Feline lovers holding pictures of cats, clutching stuffed animals and wearing whiskers faced-off against hundreds of hunters at meetings around Wisconsin to voice their opinion on whether to legalize cat hunting.

Residents in 72 counties were asked whether free-roaming cats - including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar - should be listed as an unprotected species. If listed as so, the cats could be hunted.

The proposal was one of several dozen included in a spring vote on hunting and fishing issues held by the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. The results, only advisory, get forwarded to the state Natural Resources Board.

Statewide results were expected Tuesday.

La Crosse firefighter Mark Smith, 48, helped spearhead the cat-hunting proposal. He wants Wisconsin to declare free-roaming wild cats an unprotected species, just like skunks or gophers. Anyone with a small-game license could shoot the cats at will.

At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot - and have for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior, said Kevin Kyle with that state's Department of Natural Resources.
    Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers.

Critics of Smith's idea organized Wisconsin Cat-Action Team and developed a Web site - dontshootthecat.com. Some argue it is better to trap wild cats, spay or neuter them, before releasing them.

In Madison, about 1,200 people attended the Monday evening meeting at the Alliant Center - more than the 250 or so in a typical year, but less than the 3,000 or so who took part in a debate in 2000 over whether to allow hunters to shoot mourning doves.

One of the attendees was Katy Francis, who wore cat ears, whiskers, a cat nose and a sign that read, ''Too Cute to Kill.'' For Francis, ''The cat hunting thing brought me out because it was very extreme.''

AP-NY-04-12-05 0812 EDT
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

These scumbags are just jealous that the cats are smarter then they are
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

What will happen next in this crazy world?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

As a resident of Wisconsin I find this attempt to allow free hunting of cats by anyone holding a small game permit absolutely dispicable.

First of all someone tell me how you would know the difference between a barn cat roaming in the rural and a feral cat? I see many pets being killed and much animosity between neighbors over this issue. Let alone the hunters who will specifically go out to shoot cats just because they can.

Secondly, with animal right people trying to stop hunting of liegitimate game animals everyday why would anyone propose open season on cats? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I am a hunter and a cat lover. I think there are plenty of animals to shoot besides cats. Man the utter stupidity of this idea just makes me cringe.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

The answer is to keep your cats indoors

Would not most of the cats be in the city streets. That is a good idea. drive by on kitty. What will people come up with next.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am allergic to cats, I say HUNT AWAY!

Eric

Thread Information