MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Anyone else here about the Detroit firefighter cuts?

I read about it on here; Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick, cutting the fire department by 61, but not cutting police officers? Something doesn't seem right about that. In an already increasingly thin fire department, the 61 more proposed cuts will be detremental to fire ground function. Why not take from the police first? In a force that already vastly out numbers the fire department, they can afford to lose some. Detroit Fire is already suffering from underfunding; breaking equipment, understaffing. I dunno, I'm just not agreeing with all this. I don't live in Detroit, but it just doesn't seem right.

I live up north so I don't watch the Detroit news very often to keep up on what Kwami is doing, but my dad who lives down there told me they are keeping all the police recruits currently going through the academy/training from going fulltime, so basically they got their pink slips before even starting.

Thats just what I heard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by oldprobie
    I live up north so I don't watch the Detroit news very often to keep up on what Kwami is doing, but my dad who lives down there told me they are keeping all the police recruits currently going through the academy/training from going fulltime, so basically they got their pink slips before even starting.

Thats just what I heard.
    This is true....One of my co-workers at my full time job was supposed to be in the next police academy class...not anymore.

I hate to see the brothers from DFD getting laid off. From what I have heard they are running 3 men per apparatus to begin with.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

DFD has been running with a 4 man ride. IIRC, the 61 they are planning to lay off are all new academy grads. This may have something to do with the complaining that there was not enough "diversity" in the classes, as the last class had, again, IIRC, 31 of 34 who were white males. Cut the budget and dodge the lawsuits at the same time.
    It's a shame. None of the overpaid mayoral appointees get cut, only the FFs on the rigs. They were already about 150 men short. They are already saying "no firehouses will close", which always means goodbye to some truck companies.

Forum Member

Why not take from the police first? In a force that already vastly out numbers the fire department, they can afford to lose some.
    Please don't take this as a personal attack but have you ever been to Detroit? The Justice Department says the Detroit Police Department is at least 1000 officers short. We have people that take Heroin to treat a headache and then call 911 when it doesnít work. We have more shootings in this city per year than most Departments have working structure fires.

I work for Detroit EMS, part of the Detroit Fire Department (the stepchild part.. ) and we have a hard time getting a scout (police) when we ask because they donít have enough to go around. I can not emphasize enough that the last thing the city needs to do is lay off PD. The city should be hiring more if it ever has any hopes of getting people to move back in.

I honestly think at this point that cutting any of the three (Fire/EMS/PD) is close to suicide for the city. If you live here sooner or later you will need one of them and the city has under funded all of them. The men and women who work in this system get boned on a daily basis by the administration and the only reason the system still works is those same men and women make it work.

It's a shame. None of the overpaid mayoral appointees get cut
    Amen..

Stay safe

Detroit EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Default e

i live about 30 miles north of detroit.

last i heard was that DPD is getting cuts, but none of the officers on the street are getting cut. it'll be ranking officers, investagtors, guards, stuff like that.

Forum Member

This was taken from the Mayors "State of the City" speech.

In the police Department, we are suspending the existing classes at the academy and will reduce the number of commanders and inspectors. But let me assure you that not one police officer who is out there patrolling the streets today will be laid off.
    And According to the City Auditor General days later..

The additional cost for each employee is approximately $3,000 annually. Whether the employee bargaining units would agree to these additional assessments, in addition to the proposed 10 percent pay cuts, is problematical.
    And the Mayors "State of the City" speech one more time...

I must add one word of caution, however. We won't be able to sustain this no-layoff approach in the Police Department for those police officers on the street if their union doesn't come to the table and renegotiate their benefits with us along with our other unions.
    One would assume (and hope)the union will tell the mayor to take a flying leap off a tall object as they are some of the lowest paid and hardest working officers in the state.

Detroit EMS
    Last edited by dfdems; 04-29-2005 at 02:09 AM.

Talking

You are saying they should take police officers off the street. You have lost your mind. Last I looked Detroit had a huge crime problem, not a fire problem. We are also working with broken equipment. We don't even have enough cars for the people working. And the ones we have that are good are only for the commander or the people that sit behind a desk til they come onto the street for a minute in an 8 hour shift. Don't worry though. They are going to lay-off more police officers. So you can be happy and think it is fair. When one of your EMS guys has to wait an hour for a scout you will start complaining. You should be worried about all our safety and yours. They city will be mental this summer. Have fun. Hope you don't live in the city and if you do hide your stuff and your family.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default you ARE crazy

Where in this thread did anybody say they should take cops off the street? I think we have all stated that ALL the layoffs are a bad thing.

I heard something on the radio this morning about the Mayor's credit card bill for champagne and lobster...What a freakin' mess! Best wishes to EVERYBODY in public safety in Detroit....stay safe out there!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Default Yes there was

The very first post in this thread said Detroit should lay off police first because the fire dept needs people. I think it sucks that any of us are getting laid off. But the police and fire and EMS are all hurting and will continue to hurt. Kwame said he lowered his pay 10% but just made up the difference with his city credit card. Stay safe.

Thread Information