Forum Member

Question Hydraulic Calculators

Hi,
    You guys are probably going to ding me for this but yes......I was wondering if anyone knew of a calculator that does hydraulics. I don't want to abuse a PDA in the field and I'm tired of pump charts missing or getting destroyed. Was hoping that there was a durable hydraulic calculator somewhere on the market. We rotate engines often which have different set ups on them with no uniformity, so one day your preconnects are 1 3/4 200 ft. the next day they are 2.5 and 300 ft. We never get the chance to really know our engines like the back of our hands and am getting tired of calcing GPM=29.7 X d2 X square root of NP...............ya know.
    Thanks for any feet back..
    Scottsfire

MembersZone Subscriber

Akron has the Fire Calc, I got mine from www.fire-end.com/FireCalc.html easy to use, just plug in the numbers.

Forum Member

Originally posted by firefighterbeau
    Akron has the Fire Calc, I got mine from www.fire-end.com/FireCalc.html easy to use, just plug in the numbers.
    Very handy gizmo. Ive had mine for about 12 years

I like useing it to show our training Chief that his numbers are wrong
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

You could, of course, standardize the apparatus and the hosebeds so the hydraulics would be easier... The Akron FireCalc is the best for quick work on the firegroiund. Their slide rule isn't too bad either.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I was going to suggest the Akron FireCalc but everyone beat me to it. Great little gadget, easy to use for friction loss, engine pressures, needed fire flow...also adds, subtracts, multiplies,and divides

My suggestion would be to calculate the needed engine pressures for the various setups you normally encounter, then print them on a laminated card and give one to every driver/operator. Better than punching numbers at the fire scene. The FireCalc is easy and quick, but a glance at a card is quicker.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Default Flow meters

The Fireclac is great, but one word from experience here - get some flow meters on your hoses and see what they actually flow at the recommended or formula calculated pressures. You would really be suprised what the differance in actual flow rates of the various brands of hose of the same diameter there is!! And standarizing the preconnected lengths is a great sugestion. Makes things a LOT easier!!

Send in another nozzle, this one's melting!

Forum Member

Thanks fella's
    I will check that out. Hopefully it will be something I too will have for a very long time.

Scott

Forum Member

Well, I'm now an official owner of one of those Firecalcs. I figured on being in this position awhile so what the heck. I'll keep you posted on how things work out.
    NOTE: All hands.com shipping was a lot better than the other place. I paid $8 ground at allhands.com and they quoted me $15 ground at the other company.
    Stay safe,
    Scott

Forum Member

Received my firecalc today and spend an hour playing with it....wow......how did I ever survive with out it.
    Thanks again guys,
    Scott

Thread Information