Thread: RIT Ideas

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Ideas

Spent the weekend in Strategy and Tactics class where someone brought mention to a department that used Strobe lights to mark exits at working structure fires, Does anyone know of a department that does this or have SOP/SOG's that reflect it,

Also anyone that mandates personel carry a backup light such as survivor or anything along that lines.
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Forum Member

Never seen strobe lights used as exit markers.

Every FF is issued a personal Survivor light.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

on our department were are required to carry our surviour lights with us to every call. i mean ya they come in handy when you remember to take them off of the charger in our gear room but in reality it just is to much to think about while getting dressed to run a call. one of our mutual aid stations does have handy strobes to place at the point of entry of a residental or comerrical fire.
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Kyle which department would that be?
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Forum Member

We carry about a dozen of them in our FAST gear bag.

They are weighted and have a magnetic base that you can stick them to a door(obviously only if the door is metal )

They seem to be pretty good. They hold up to all the water, etc. I don't put my life in their hands, I prefer to stick to my bread and butter search techniques however they are one more thing working in your favor if you get disoriented are have to make a more hasty exit.

Forum Member

We use a variety of lightsticks and tritium markers. Tritium lasts for 10 years and needs no source of power to light it. As a fire chief I have found this to be a good option. My brother also owns the company, and gives firefighters a great deal. His website is
    www.ameriglo.net . Tell him his brother Tom mentioned him and he will give you any information you need. If you look under the lightsticks secion, you can see our engine used in his advertising. Feel free to contact me for more info.
    www.oaklandvfc.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default lighted exits

We do not have a policy, but consider it part of the first in drivers job. Normally, we take a light box to the door and run cords from it. Pretty easy to put a Circle D light there. Very helpful.

We do not issue lights to the members. We keep SL-90's (Survivor lights) on each airpack and 4 additional box lights per apparatus. In addition, we educate the members on the advantages of tools in their pockets. A spare light is one of those tools. The tools in their pockets are not department issued. Most of us would rather go buy quality hand tools for our pockets than the cheap stuff the city would likely buy anyways.

Thread Information