Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Resources for non-sectarian Chaplaincies

I'm interested in developing a non-sectarian resource list. In particular, I'm looking for a resource to help chaplains deal with firefighters and families who aren't of the same faith as the Chaplain. There seems to be a wealth of information about the mainstream US faiths (Catholic/Protestant Christianity & Judaism) but precious little about any others.

The only place I've ever found a comprehensive reference guide to multiple faiths and a summary of the observances required by those faiths is the US Army's Chaplaincy guide and I can't find a source for obtaining a copy...

Any suggestions?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

I have seen the US Army Guide offered on eBay a couple of times, you may want to do a search there.

Also check out your local (major) bookstore - I have seen several books in the Religion section that give overviews/comparisons of major world faiths. A friend of mine had a NLODD where the member was of the B'Hai faith. He was able to find a book at the store that provided enough information regarding rites and traditions that he could represent the department without causing offense.

I think it may have even been "An Idiots Guide to Religion" or something similar.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Thanks!

As it turns out, the Chaplains Handbook is available again at Amazon.com... ($30)

After all the times I've looked for it there it finally shows up after I've asked about it somewhere else!

Thanks for the reply!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information