Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Question on Fire/Medic job

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question? I am a new medic with a 10yr backgound in the fire service here in Minnesota, my family and I would like to relocate to another state so I am looking all over for a decent paying firefighter/paramedic job.
    I have been researching this for sometime and its amazing how every area of the country is so different in requirements, pay, and hiring practices.
    Can anybody out there give a new fire/medic a good place to start looking or any info on good depts to work for as well as cost of living in those areas. An ALS engine company is my main goal but I would take anything I could get, I love being a medic put I am a firefighter first and formost.

Thanks alot for any help
    be safe.

Default Yo...

If you are serious about California, Nevada or Arizona,
    please let me know in here.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Many departments in VA and MD are always looking for fire/medics. Your time on the bus will vary depending which department you go to, but to my understanding most have you almost exclusively on a bus for a year or so, and then you move on to an ALS engine. Might be worth looking there.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Thanks for your reponse I really appreciate it, actually Arizona, and Nevada were two of our first choices, We went down there last year when I tested for phoenix and absolutly loved it but I have not seen any depts that give preference for being a medic. I've hear alot of great things about San Diego California too but so far have been unable to convince my wife to move there due to the cost of living. I also have alot of interest in Fairfax County VA, as well as a few other depts out east in MD, but I am having a hard time getting any good info on how they operate with their fire/medics.

Thanks again and keep the info coming.

Default Please read...

Several thoughts come to mind-

#1. You need to really know where the jobs are and who has
    the best benefits. If youre really serious, I would invest
    about $7.00 a month and subscibe to www.firecareers.com or
    www.firerecruit.com. They will give you the newest and current
    job daily.

#2. I would HIGHLY recommend the Las Vegas area if you like
    Phoenix. (I like both) The city of Henderson, Nevada is
    currently hiring for FF/PM/ you cant lose with this one and
    the local EMS is very familiar with outside medics crossing
    over their certs. Here is your link-
    http://www.ci.henderson.nv.us/hr/html/job16.html

#3. Please feel free to PM me and we can chat on the phone.
    I think I can offer you some good 411.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dont overlook Omaha

If you want a place that is in the Midwst look at Omaha Fire. We just tested and established a two year list, We are approaching a period where we will be retiring a large group of people. We have minimum manning and will replace them. Being a medic will help as you will recieve points during the interview process.Our Chief and medical director are very progressive and the medics are respected on the department, you will also recieve specialty pay for being a medic. Most engine companies are ALS as we currently have over 200 medics. The pension is second to none, benefits and working condition are good.The cost of living in Omaha is low and its an excellent place to raise a family. Hope this helps. Any other questions let me know.

Thread Information