Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Fire Act Grants next week

Just letting everyone be aware that Fire Act Grants are going to be looked at next week, just info for the ones that didn't know. It is nice getting info about things like these, my father is going to be on the committee looking at the Grants, that is how I got the information. Good Luck everyone.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Guess they're moving things up since they have to talk to the states about interoperability and CRBNE issues.

Thanks for the info. Good luck to all!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does this mean that if you are not going to make it past the computer you'd know by now?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's where they'd know, but those that didn't make it past the computer won't hear anything until August/September if they keep the same timeline as in past years.

Default Fire Act Grants--Considerations??

I work on homeland security and with many federal grants. I have some quetions regarding the response of the fire service to equipment-oriented grants. Here are my questions--and please excuse if they appear naitve, as I come from a law enforcement background and our grant programs have been very different. The issues:

1. Are applicants concerned about warranty service, both during the covered period and the expense of extended warranties? Or, is this a lower consideration because what agencies really want is the equipment, ASAP?

2. How important is the servicing of the vendor providing the equiopment--how they handle purchaser inquiries--with an 800 number, call-backs or "live" staff with knowledge in real time? Is this an imporant consideraiton?

3. Substitute equipment during warranty servicing--do the vendors offer to provide substtitue equipment on an interim basis while the purchased equipment is receiving warranty or other (e.g. upgrade) treatment? Is this an important consideraiton?

Thanks for any information you could provide?

Cliff Karchmer
    (Former Firehouse Arson Editor)
    Washington, DC

email: cliffk4@juno.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It appears that most folks don't have too much choice in what equipment they apply for, as most communications systems are run by other entities (county, other department, etc). Others that I have worked with are taking into consideration such things as vendor support, regardless of equipment. Most are working with vendors that they have been dealing with all along, since many are in areas that don't have more than one easy choice for the type of equipment.

Extended warranties are not eligible items for the grant programs, but organizations are allowed to purchase them on their own outside of the federal or matching funds, and many have done so.

Not sure about substitute equipment, but depending on the item it's not a feasible thing for the vendor. 800mhz trunked radios for starters, it takes us a couple of days to get the county to put one on the system, about the same to turn it off, so we don't worry about it. Low band radios, not the same problem, easier to swap out in such cases, I think that would be a good benefit. Same with TICs. Nozzles, hoses, stuff like that wouldn't affect my decision at all, 1 piece out for service is not a big deal.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Default Thanx

Unfortunately, I became a member a few days prior to completing the AFG Grant for my dept. My hopes for success were crushed after reading all the posts that offer help and tips. I was hoping to fund a new communication system, Turn out gear and Exhaust System. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has written a successful narrative for any of the above mentioned items. I'll keep my fingers crossed but want to start early for next year.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wouldn't be disheartened this early in the game. While a few of us have a decent grip on the system and what needs to be included in a successful narrative, anything is possible. I have worked with a couple I didn't think would make the computer scoring and did, one even funded. The reviewers do make an honest effort into giving all of the points possible, knowing that nearly every application is done by a member of the department, and some are submitting for the first time.

But, yes, depending on the situation, it is easy to see how priorities of the program weren't addressed when comparing the application against the Program Guidance documents. It's a learning process for everyone involved on this side of the application so that's why you have to saddle up now and aim for improvements for next year. Even funded applications have room for improvements. Just like shooting hoops: sure you can put it in the basket by bouncing it off of the floor into the hoop, but is that really the best method for game time? Every one of us can sit here and hindsight the app we just submitted. I believe that's because the last perfect person that walked on this earth got nailed to a cross, so I will always find room for improvement.

At least an application was submitted; too many departments I know threw in the towel and didn't even apply figuring it was a waste of time. Oh well, more money for other people.

Forum Member

Default Rough Rider

Roughrider !

Contact me some evening, I may be able to assist you regarding your post on FIREHOUSE forum. We are also doing the same for Sea Cliff, Glen Cove, and a tie into Locust Valley and Glen Wood.

Kevin Boris
    Fire Medic/ Grant Administrator
    Sea Cliff Fire Department
    Sea Cliff, NY 11579
    kevinboris@aol.com

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Default Kevin

Thanks Kevin !! This grant is my first attempt. I have alot to learn.
    Ty

MembersZone Subscriber

rough rider e-mail me I,ve gotten a couple of grants in the last few years air packs, venting systems. email at landersonjr@hotmail.com Lt. Laurance Anderson Jr. Hampton Falls Fire Dept NH

Forum Member

RoughRider

Just when you think you got the handle on what they want........they go and change it. Dont worry to much about it. I'm one for three and hoping this year will make me 50/50.

Thread Information