Forum Member

Default Firefighter Selection Inc

In a couple of weeks, I'm getting ready to take a test for a fire department who is using Firefighter Selection Inc as the test. Has anybody had any experience with this company??? Any input would be great. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to the link below and click on FSI (Firefighter Selection Inc.)
    www.fireprep.com

Since 1950, Don McNea Fire School (fireprep.com) has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Fireprep.com has over 250 pages of FREE information and career articles to help you reach your goal of becoming a firefighter.

Go to http://www.fireprep.com/ and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 13,000 subscribers.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 04-20-2005 at 04:04 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to buy the book. I made the mistake because a firefighter told me just to study any fire material you can. Well that's what i did and scored a 65%. The stuff that is on the test is exactly from the book. An example question was how much can the fire captain spend before getting the chiefs approval? Well every place is different. They want the answer that is in the book. After i bought the book and studied it i got a 94% the next time i took the fsi test. Be carefull though you need to buy the right fsi book for the test that is taken. Most places use the fsi 8th edition, but a few still use fsi 7th edition which both have different material.
    Good luck

Forum Member

Is there any math probelms on the test???

Forum Member

How many questions are on the test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking at my FSI book there isn't any math questions in it, but i can't remember for sure or not if there were any on the test. I would say just freshen up on your basic math. The book is broken down into sections Fire Chemistry, Tool and equipment, Homeland Security, Emergency medical technician, and standard operating procedures. I wish I could say you didn't have to buy the book but the fact is you'll have to. In the SOP section they will ask you specific questions related to the fictitional department that is in the book. The main part of the whole test is to see how well and how much you prepared for the test. They want people who will know the book inside and out.
    As for how many questions there are it varied the 3 times Iíve taken it. Anywhere from 125-150 questions.
    Where are you taking the FSI test at?

Forum Member

I have the study book, and I also purchased the 640 question book from fireprep.com which is just awesome. I answered all the questions from the book and found I was rough in the fire chemistry area but every other section I missed about 5-10 questions. I'm taking the test in Quincy Illinois

MembersZone Subscriber

Is Quency a suburb of Chicago? What do you know about the Chicago department? Do they plan on testing anytime soon? What are some other departments around the areas that are good to get on that you don't have to be a paramedic to be on?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure what's all in the fireprep book but just a little advice and take it for how you want, but if i were you try and study more from the fsi book. Things only from that book will be on the test. Oh and make sure you know the name of your knots and tools because there are some questions about that and make sure you know the amount of money each person in the department is allowed to spend. I know those questions killed alot of people.

Thread Information