Forum Member

Wink I Dont Believe It For A Second

Expert alleges deliberate U.S. mad-cow coverups
    CTV.ca News Staff

A scientist and former U.S. Department of Agriculture inspector is claiming that his government covered up mad cow disease, years before a case turned up in Canada.

Lester Friedlander says he was "forced out" from his job as head of inspections at a large Philadelphia meat packing plant in 1995 after blowing the whistle on what he called unsafe practices.

"The proof I have is basically from my own experience working for the United States Department of Agriculture," Friedlander said, appearing on Canada AM.

He claims he knows USDA veterinarians who sent suspect cow brains to private laboratories that confirmed bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) but that government laboratories cleared the samples from the same animals.

He said there was pressure from Washington for veterinarians to "look the other way or to let sometimes the rules slide by a little bit."

Earlier, Friedlander told The Canadian Press while his claims may be shocking for Canadians "it wouldn't be shocking for veterinarians that have worked for the USDA."

He says he is willing to take a lie detector test to back up his claims but would not identify the veterinarians for fear that they would lose their jobs. The department has denied all allegations, which were first reported last week.

Rob McNabb, a spokesman for the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, told CP that it does seem perplexing that four mad cow cases were detected in Canadian-born cattle but none in their American counterparts.

"It's true that the risk ... is very similar, and it is surprising," he said, but declined to comment on Friedlander's claims.

Friedlander alleges the department tried to hide mad-cow cases because "at one time, the United States was exporting to over 90 countries. If mad cow disease is found in the United States, look at the economic impact it would have on the whole country."

There are 120 million cattle in the United States and 15 million in Canada.

Michael Hansen, a scientist with the U.S. Consumers Union in Washington, said there is suspicion surrounding the testing of three suspected cases of mad cow in U.S. cattle.

He said the tests came back negative but that the USDA used a rapid test based on immuno-histochemistry, which is considered less reliable than the Western blot test.

He said there was also suspicion about a recent case in Texas where officials noticed a cow stumbling at an abattoir but were refused permission to test it.

"The federal inspectors and the plant employees all wanted to test the animal and basically (the USDA) said, 'Nah, we're not going to do that.' So the animal was sent to rendering and was never tested."

A study by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis three years ago concluded there was a 20 per cent chance that mad cow was likely to be found in U.S. cattle.

The U.S. government closed its border to live cattle imports from Canada in 2003 after a single Canadian cow tested positive for BSE. Three other cases were found in Canada since then.

A group acting on behalf of 100,000 farmers from four provinces launched a $7 billion class-action lawsuit against the federal government Monday, claiming gross negligence allowed BSE to devastate the cattle industry.

The border was set to reopen to young Canadian cattle March 7 this year but an injunction by a U.S. cattle industry lobby group delayed that from happening.

Friedlander is in Ottawa to testify at a Commons standing committee examining changes to the Canadian food regulation system.

He will be telling the committee that they must ensure the number-one priority is the Canadian consumer, Friedlander said.

With files from The Canadian Press

- Wow can you believe it - I cant!! Does that mean we arent the only ones with corrupt politicians
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

This supports my claim that mad cow's disease, the cattle industry and the USDA are responsible for my mental instability. Think of the lawsuits.
    Caffeine is the key to motivation!

Phenomonal Moments In Human Thought:

Let's feed sheep to Cows!

Sounds like a Monty Python farce...

==================================

Sometimes you wonder what it would take to get the bureaucracy back out of farming, and it's not just the "conventional" agriculture people who come up with really stupid ideas like it was OK to feed other animals to herbivores...

On the "Organic" side today we have rules that say absolutely no anti-biotics to the cows. No difference if the cow is sick and could benefit from modern medicines (a good thing to someone with common sense...)...or if it was just a sub-therapeutic level given just so the cow could digest cheap grain before it fermented in it's stomach (not a good reason).
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

"He says he is willing to take a lie detector test to back up his claims but would not identify the veterinarians for fear that they would lose their jobs."

If his claims are true, shouldn't he want them to lose their jobs? "Oh, they passed over a potentially deadly zoonotic epidemic that could ruin the US ag economy, but they don't deserve to lose their jobs for that."

Please.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

What! The US government. A cover up? Oh come on. A late April fools joke?

Last edited by Dave1983; 04-15-2005 at 09:22 AM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We have Cargill - a U.S. based meat plant that is in our fire district. We were their doing some training the other day and low and behold the US cattle association shows up - tell me I wasnt tempted to soak em down......thats another story.

Does any one know when or who's bright idea it was to start feeding herbivores their dead animal friends? Just wondering

Had stake from Cargill the other night - first one was rare - blue rare (couldnt wait to start eating) it was so tender, Second steak (yup I like steak) was still rare - just a little more cooked, juicy and the taste, The third steak - it got left on the barbie a little to long so it was medium to well - but still tender and easy to chew. All I can say is thank god for donations - because if those cuts were in the stores and I could afford them.....man Id be FAT
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Dave404
    ...The third steak...
    Oh sure, you couldn't have invited one of us over to help you with those eh?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information