Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default painting on helmets

Hi all,
    I've been asked to do some custom artwork on a leather helmet which will be used in action. It is a Cairns helmet. I have been in touch with both Cairns and Sherwin Williams (which Cairns said has the only brand of paint that can be used) I have conflicting results. Do any of you have any info on what type of paint I can use? The poor guy really wants this done but I am having trouble getting the info I need... can't even find any artists on the net to ask. I paint all types of helmets but I'm not going to fool around with paints on this one.
    Thanx in advance.
    Kiki
    airbornecreations.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's what I did for my helmet under the guidance of a much crustier firefighter:

4 coats of high heat oil-based paint (grill paint it is called sometimes)
    2 coats of high gloss oil-based paint

Here's the tips he gave me, and my paint is holding up very well.

-Remove as much original paint as you can. I GENTLY used a heat gun (if you do it too hot for too long, it will damage the leather) and a flat-head screwdriver.

-Use a medium grit sandpaper to prepare the leather for paint. I was told that the paint is absorbed more evenly that way.

-Use a brush, not spray paint. I was told that a brush helps to work in the paint to the leather better.

-The high-heat base is the most important part, it will protect the helmet better.

-Don't put on too much high gloss, because that is what will peel off when you see "action", not the base.

Not sure what other advice you need.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's an idea. Tell the "poor guy" who is going to spend money on drawing cartoons on his helmet to take the money and GO TO A SEMINAR!

MembersZone Subscriber

George I agree. Fire helments and all gear for that matter should have company markings and reflective tape. Anything else is whackish.

If you must,put one of these on...Didn't we go through this awhile back?
    Last edited by len1582; 08-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Originally posted by len1582
    If you must,put one of these on...Didn't we go through this awhile back?
    The flag decal and a W6 decal are the only ones that adorn my helmet. BTW, anyone know where to get any more of the W6 helmet decals?

Last edited by jerrygarcia; 04-18-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Jerry.. I have a connection at the Mass Fire Academy for the W6 stickers. I believe the stickers are $5 apiece and come in red, white or blue. There was a limited run of red and gold (one of them adorns the rear window of my Jeep). Email me and I'll get you more info.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber BrianHFDLT's Avatar

Unhappy

Originally posted by enginehouse2
    George I agree. Fire helments and all gear for that matter should have company markings and reflective tape. Anything else is whackish.

Exactly.... You don't disgrace a good leather with cartoons

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Standard colors only please. Last thing I'd want to see is a whacker with Donald Duck on his helmet behind me on the hoseline.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

In front of you wouldn't be too good either.

" Hoooeee this baby is cooking, dig in".

Forum Member

BTW, anyone now where to get any more of the W6 helmet decals?
    Here is one site that sells the W6 helmet decals.

Default Painting Cairns Leather helmets

I refurb Cairns Leather Helmets for a living. I dont suggest using anything but the recommened Sherwinn Williams paints for a base color. For any characters or whatever. I recommend using Angela's leather paints. They fall within NFPA complancy. I dont recommend using a heat gun to strip a leather helmet. Dry heat will ruin the helmet. And the Sherwinn Williams paint should be sprayed via a HVLP system

Matt Firestone
    Signal 50 Industries
    www.signal50.com

Default Gezz...

Hmmmm...Applying a flammible material to my fire helmet.
    Naaaa, no thanks, I dont need to do that to get the job
    done.

-Bou

What is the meaning of W6? I have never heard of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default W6 Remembered

The W6 is in reference and reverence to the six brothers from Worcester who died while performing a search for possible occupants in a cold storage warehouse, December 3rd, 1999.

May they always be remembered.

I am sure there are other members who will offer more detailed information, or you can simply do a search on the internet. There is also a book, 3000 degrees that offers an account of the tragedy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Standard colors only please. Last thing I'd want to see is a whacker with Donald Duck on his helmet behind me on the hoseline.
    Actually, even though my helmet isn't adorned with a Donald Duck, I'm gonna take exception to this statement.. The day I judge someones skills based on a personalized helmet is the day I officially become a 'truly self important weenie' (wasn't sure as to how strong a language I can use without the WT giving me a reprimand).

I imagine someone who places a cartoon on their helmet has at least, a sense of humour. If I was the kind of guy that bases my assessment of a colleagues firefighting skill and as to whether or not I'd want them on a team with me on the personalization of their helmet, I'd rather have a Donald Frickin' Duck than those who have personalized Shields of Valor with those god awful shamrocks or flames and axes. A quick character assessment there might reveal that they are possibly 18th generation, twice removed 'Irish' (not known for their brilliance..) or that they feel that they must slay the fire dragon at all costs.. you know, sorta hero complex.

So.. If you must personalize your helmet, and it's OK with your Department, go forth with your Donald Ducks, Cartmans or whatever.. just do it in good taste.. which definitely means no Shamrocks, Fightin' Irish or Kiss Me Blarney Stone!!!

BTW.. I don't really dislike the Irish, or think they're stupid, it's just an English thing!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

'truly self important weenie'
    Congratulations. Your post just proved that you already are. I also take exception to your ignorant stereotyping of the Irish.

We're going to have fun with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Weenieville..

George, George, George...

I have followed your postings and have agreed with 90% of what you say, the other 10% I kinda figure we all come from different backgrounds and see things a little differently, but you normally post eloquently and with well thought out reasoning. However saying that, I have never yet seen you concede a point or even acknowledge that someone elses opinion that differs from yours may be right.. So I guess I shouldn't hope for too much by replying in my defense here.... However, as a sucker for punishment here goes...

'truly self important weenie'
    As I said in the original post, I don't believe that you can assess someones firefighting skills and their ability to be a useful member of a firefighting team based on what adorns their helmet. You may possibly get an insight into their character, but thats it at best. To make such assumptions would be to truly believe that you know way more than you probably actually do!! Hence the 'Truly Self Important Weenie' comment. The additional comments were made to underline my point about judging people, and were written if not well expressed, tounge in cheek.

I also take exception to your ignorant stereotyping of the Irish.
    Sorry, Mate.. but here we definitely differ.. Sure it's wrong to promote negative stereotypes, especially of groups of persons who have suffered terribly because of it (and who continue to do so). I don't think the Irish have suffered too much recently, well not over here in the good ol' US of A anyway. If anything, it's almost cool to be a 'Mick' especially if you're located in NY or Chicago (and doubly so if your a firefighter or cop). Coming from the UK and being born and raised English, I grew up on a diet of Irish jokes and stereotyping. Do I really believe it, of course not, but all humour is pretty much based on putting someone else down, and for me it's always been the Irish (Just as for most Americans, it's the Polish). I haven't been on a firehouse yet where your heritage isn't the source of nicknames or humour, and if I was as thin skinned about my ancestry as you seem to be touchy about the Irish, I'd have never have made it as long as I have. Trust me, daily I hear about 'those bloody Brit's' and of course 'We had to save your a*s in the big one' and lets not forget all the cracks about dentistry and how gorgeous most British women are (and me Mum's a British woman, so that one really cuts me to the core). So, I will state again clearly.. I believe the Irish to be no better or worse than anyone else.. it's just humour!! Oh, and if I ever find out who stuck all those Shamrocks on my gear-grid, there will be trouble.

We're going to have fun with you.
    Who's 'We'... is it perhaps the royal wee, is it a secret society of people that agree with you more than I do and bash people at your beck and call, is it a chapter of Firehouse FOOLS that are unleashed like a starved dog on the chewy morsels of a poster that has dared to cross paths with George Wendt CFI-I?? Just wondering. To each his own, this is I suspect a public forum and I believe I may post my opinions as you may post yours in reply.. just wondering who else you spoke for.

Bottom line, did I set out to be inflammatory - nope, Do you really believe there is some guy by the name of O'Hanrahan weeping into his Guinness 'cause I said jokingly not to put insignia's of 'Fightin' Irish on helmets, I hope not (and if there are, I'm truly sorry). This was just to inject a little humour into the above posts..

So.. I'll step off my soapbox, and lovingly extend a hand of friendship to George to assist him off his High horse!!

BTW.. did you hear the one about the Irishman working as a quality inspector at the Banana factory... he threw out all the bent ones!!

Cheers
    Last edited by Fawlty; 04-18-2005 at 09:22 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Fawlty

Tiocfaidh ár Lá

Have a nice day "mate"

MembersZone Subscriber

Why didn't you add that "Some of my best friends are Irish". That's always a good one. There is a monumental difference between good natured teasing among friends in the relative privacy of a firehouse and publicly posting your ethnic bias on an international website. Sorry, your BS reasoning doesn't excuse your intolerance and your obvious ethnic hatred.

As far as the cartoons on the helmet, the fire service is a paramilitary organization. While there may be some leeway to allow for personal expression, for compliance with a uniform standard, "personalization" of a helmet is a detriment to that standard.

Thread Information