Thread: electrical fuel

Forum Member

Exclamation electrical fuel

Check your Pierce Quantums! We just had a situation where the check engine alarm was sounding but the only code was a high voltage reading to the oil temperature sender. By the way this is a Detroit 6o series engine. Anyway, we changed the alternator and regulator and looked things over, at least we thought. We just found the wiring below the fuel line at the back of the head was seeping and getting the electrical wiring soaked. The wiring now looks like so much swollen jello. This is causing a lot of work to rewire. We can't chance the wire insulation not too just come off and cause a fire or some other malfunction. Please check your Pierce Quantums with the Detroit 60 series engines at this point. Sometimes the diagnostics does not always lead to the first right fix but the signs sure pointed us to look further into the area and find the trouble. Be safe out there.

Forum Member

Just curious as to why you changed the alt and regulator and not the oil temp sender? I would have started with that. Also, is your department doing this re-wire? How old is your rig? Is this not covered under warrenty by either Pierce or Detroit?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Cool electric fuel

I went with the alternator and regulator first because the MPSI reader for the diagnostyics gave me an overvoltage to the sensor problem. We found the regulator looking fried and the volt guage was well on up to 15 volts. When the problem came back we went to the sensor where upon we found the fuel leak and wiring problems. The unit is only three years old and yes it is under warranty but more expeditious for us to splice in a new harness piece from a wrecked rig we have here. Pierce pays the labour. Beleive it or not, we do 95% of the warranty repairs here. The only timer it goes out to Ontario to Pierce West is when it gets beyond our scope of ability or there is sufficient damage to warrant Ontario doing the work. We have had some warranty work done at our facility by either Ontario or the dealer mechanics. We submit warranty claim forms and send back parts for replacement. If someone from Pierce was here to do all the work I suppose they would not need us. Its kind of like your personal vehicle warranty, maybe its covered and maybe not.

Thread Information