Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Running Red Lights In POV

we have a situation at our department right now in which one of our members that has been on for about 2 years was involeded in a car accident responding to a priority 2 call( no lights or siren). He was coming from about 15 miles away and had his dash light on and ran a car off an embankment then left the scene of the accident. The driver of the car was alright but his new car is totaled. the member in question has been put on a 90 day suspension pending investigation. My cheif and myself were discussing it last night and him and the other officers are confused about what to do. There is no rule in the SOG about this but it can not be tolorated. Anyone got any advice. O by the way this is his second accident while responding to a call
    Kyle Beard
    Engine 221 "East Side Express"
    FTM-PTM

Forum Member

I am sorry to hear about your incident.

First, I would seriously consider contacting an attorney, if not already done so. There is a lot legal issues to be addressed.

Do you currently have an SOG regarding response to a fire call in POVs?
    From what you wrote, you have a guideline for responding to a priority 2 call. So he broke a guideline. I would probably suspend him for longer than 90 days.

Depending on the outcome of the investigation, it might lead to expulsion.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

If this happened with a member of my department, he would most likely be terminated as well as prosecuted for leaving the scene of the accident.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I'd continue this here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=69025

More information and posts than this one.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I've been on the Fire Department for three years, I have a Red Light
    most of the time I do not use it. However when I do run it my department SOP says I can. If this member was runing it to a non-emergency call and your SOP say's outher and he left a scene you need to git rid of him and contact a attorney

I know the department I am hoping to be on has an entire SOG about this, when to run lights/sirens, when to run when you are X miles of way, based on if its a medical call or fire, what happens if you get into an accident etc. I think someone needs to speak with the person he ran off the road, and see how far they are taking it, personally fleeing the scene of an accident is pretty big and the guy should probably get terminated myself.

New ammedments to the SOG need to be made it appears as well to keep the second guessing from happening in the future.

Andy

Forum Member

Do not allow lights and siren on POV's. They are not worth the trouble or legal hassles and according to a lot of current studies, very little time is gained with the use of them.

Thread Information