Smoking materials ignited a couch in the accidental fire that killed three Miami University students in an off-campus house, a fire investigators' report said.

9News is at a 4 p.m. news conference getting more details on the report.

The three students who died were highly intoxicated, all with blood-alcohol levels more than double the Ohio's legal limit for driving, Butler County Coroner Richard Burkhardt said Friday.

The couch was in the first-floor living room of the two-story home, according to the fire investigators' report sent Friday to Doug Turnbull, father of the one of the students killed.

Turnbull, who read portions of the report to The Associated Press, said the fire department shared it with him ahead of the Friday afternoon news conference at which officials planned to announce the investigation's findings.

His daughter, Julia Turnbull, 21, of Milford, and Kathryn Welling, 21, of Bronxville, N.Y., were guests at the house and died of carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation in beds in separate, second-floor bedrooms, authorities said. They were guests at the house.

Stephen Smith, 22, of Bethesda, Md., died from inhaling superheated air as he tried to escape the house, the coroner said. Eight other people escaped.

Smith was one of nine men who leased the 19th century brick house in this college town about 30 miles northwest of Cincinnati.

Fire officials and police declined to comment Friday before the news conference. Fire officials have said since the fire that they believed it was accidental and started in the living room or recreation room on the first floor.

Stay with WCPO.com and WCPO-TV for updates to this story. Please click "refresh" on your browser to view the most recent version of this story.



The Girl in the middle only lived a few towns over in Milford Ohio.http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/...oxfordfire.jpg