Default Want to be Firefighter

I'm a Detroit-Metro resident and I want to become a firefighter. I've been looking into classes at Henry Ford CC and Schoolcraft. I'm curious as to the requirements to become a Detroit City firefighter and the best academy to attend. I want to attend a very thourough training academy. Any suggestions or tips.

Default Re: Want to be Firefighter

Originally posted by bluecoupesc
    I'm a Detroit-Metro resident and I want to become a firefighter. I've been looking into classes at Henry Ford CC and Schoolcraft. I'm curious as to the requirements to become a Detroit City firefighter and the best academy to attend. I want to attend a very thourough training academy. Any suggestions or tips.
    I think you would have a better chance of getting a firefighting job outside if Detroit right now. As per another thread it seem that the mayor of Detroit is cutting jobs in the firehouse.

I live up north, but see what departments around you have a paid on call / volunteer program. See if you can get on that, most of them will provide you with FFI, FFII training and such that you need for the department, while you look to see about an academy or maybe you decide to put yourself through school to get your Fire Science degree.

Hope that helps.

Forum Member

I know Detroit has their own academy. I donít know if you already need to be certified to start or not.

Have you thought about any other departments? Itís great to have a goal, but you might want to have a backup. Judging by the current layoffs, I doubt they will be hiring anytime soon.

How old are you? If your under 21, try joining an explorer post. There are a few around. (Walled Lake, Northville city, South Lyon, Highland Twp, Troy, Lansing) It wonít guarantee getting hired anywhere, but it will be a huge help when going through the academy.

Thread Information