Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Prototype Bunker Gear at FDIC

Looking for opinions on the Project HEROES bunker gear displayed by the IAFF at FDIC. Personally, I thought some of the ideas good, some bad.
    Some of the changes for those that haven't seen it:
    -CBRN protection built in to the liner.
    -integrated hood
    -gasket seal on hood
    -cooling system-exhaled air piped back through coat to cool and provide additional insulation
    -vapor tight zippers
    -magnet mate gloves-no more exposed wrists
    -coat to pant seal
    -collapsible fly on trousers-no zipper, no air leaks
    -integrated boots and pants

I couldn't find a photo online, only a press release by the IAFF. If enough of you guys are interested, I'll try to scan in a photo from the brochure.

OSD122

I'd like to see the pics.

I thought a lot of their ideas had merit. I sat through their presentation on Thursday, and posed a question that they really didn't address regarding the captured exhaled air device only being made available for CBRN packs. I'm sorry, but most departments aren't going to change to CBRN packs, but could really use the ability to cool their firefighter and avoid heat stress. Make the darn thing available for all masks (though, it looks like the CBRN MSA is the same facepiece as the non-CBRN, with some minor material changes, etc., so if I really wanted the technology we could probably make it happen).

The booties tied into the pants was a great idea (no more steam or fluids up the pant leg), the collapsable fly also nice. The air cooling of the coat will be huge if it works well, but the hood will be a big fight for many folks I suspect. Imagine a Reed hood attached to the gear with a rubber strip for the mask to hood interface. The magnetic glove to coat interface also looked nice, but again - I think that will take some time to catch on.

Morning Pride builds nice gear, but expensive. Yes, you get what you pay for, but the Cairns stuff I just bought was $200 less than MP (and in my opinion, of comparable quality), and that was without the new features. I suspect we'll be looking at $1800-$2000 per set for this stuff. And remember, the CBRN protection is there for when you don't know it is. The suit isn't intended to be used to run into the bad stuff knowingly.

I suspect we'll see a trickle down of technologies. The field trials (three departments, one of which I would bet will be FDNY) will be interesting. Kudos to the IAFF (and I'm not even union!) and Morning Pride, as well as all of the research folks for trying to bring better ideas into the gear we wear.

I should clarify also - the booties completely enclose your foot in the pant liner, which is then inserted into a conventional boot. Everything looks the same, if you wear out the boot, you replace the boot. The boot isn't actually a part of the pants. If you donned a set of bunkers with the system from the traditional pants folded around the boots position, you'd probably never know they were there.

I would almost think making the bootie section user replacable in some manner (those vapor-proof zippers come to mind) would make a lot of folks happier. Taking gear out of service to replace boots could be annoying as I suspect it will be a high wear area.

Sorry,
    I can't figure out how to upload the photos here. Anyone want to help?

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Default Use

I saw the gear, if it is to be used during Haz-Mat or NON-Fire calls. It may not be that bad. But with all that stuff hanging down, crawling may be tough. Stay safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

I am intrested in reading more on this produce. Does anyone have a link where we can go to read more and or see pictures of this product?
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Gunny has pics but is having trouble down loading them. I cant help as my e-mail is at another station (entirely different story to that).

I have also been talking with one of the guys from Total Fire Group (morning pride) who was involved with the testing of the gear. They were doing the airborne pathogen test the week before FDIC. He said the test went very well. I think the gear has a lot to offer - but dont be too hasty, make sure alll the kinks are worked out before jumping in to it.

This is the press release:

The International Association of Fire Fighters demonstrated a prototype of the next-generation of fire fighting gear as part of its “Project HEROES” (Homeland Emergency Response Operational and Equipment Systems) initiative Thursday during the Fire Department Instructor Conference in Indianapolis.

Funded by a federal government contract from the Technical Support Working Group with funding from the Department of Homeland Security, the IAFF project team consists of leading fire service organizations and academia that have been tasked to rapidly develop, prototype and field test structural fire fighting personal protective equipment with enhanced chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear protective qualities to account for today’s new threats.

“Fire Departments do not have the resources to provide multiple garments for each responder, so one multi-purpose suit offers the best protection for fire fighters against any hazard,” said IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger. “The Project HEROES prototype will be revolutionary because it will offer the highest level of protection without the burden of extra weight, loss of mobility and added stress, so our fire fighters can do their job.”

The IAFF project team also includes the International Association of Fire Chiefs, Total Fire Group/Morning Pride Manufacturing, a leading fire service ensemble manufacturer, the National Personal Protection Technology Laboratory of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, International Personnel Protection and two academic partners -– the University of Massachusetts and the University of Arkansas.

Field assessments at major metropolitan fire departments will take place this spring to evaluate the new technology and lead to its subsequent commercialization.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

I have all of the pics posted on our company web site. Not sure if I should put the address up as it could be construed as advertising. If anyone wants the link, e-mail me at randyv@sympatico.ca and I'll send you the web site address

Thread Information