FIGJAM

Default e-Learn Training

Anyone using e-Learning for training purposes?

If so, what sort of format (CD-Rom, web based, etc)?

What sort of topics?

Overall what's your thoughts?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I have taken a course on NIMS (National Incident Management System) online from FEMA's website. It was required for my job. You get a FEMA certificate of completion in the mail when you are done. I have also completed a course in Weapons of Mass Destruction from some outfit in Texas (again, required for my job). All in all a good way to complete required training at your own pace and with a minimum of expense.

Louisiana State University's Fire and Emergency Training Institute has just begun offering Firefighter 1 online.....

www.feti.lsu.edu

Seems like a good program. You are supposed to go through it with a workbook and the IFSTA Essentials manual for reference. I've taken a couple of the modules just to see what they're like and it seems like a good way to obtain this training, especially for volunteers who can do it on their own time and at their convenience. Of course you'd still have to have some field or in-house training to supplement this, for the hands-on stuff. Still, seems like a good course.

I think all the state training agencies should use the technology we have available to offer this type of training. In the volunteer fire service in particular, it is getting harder and harder for members to meet the ever-increasing requirements for training. I feel that programs such as these offer a creative solution to this growing problem,and make a good supplement (not substitute) for traditional training methods.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 04-18-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

FIGJAM

e-Learning is a huge untapped market in many fields, but i especially think it's the case in terms of emergency services. As you stated, there are loads of vols (and perms) that have issues accessing many courses due to either their home location or the school location.

Interesting to see if anyone else responds...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

^^^bump^^^....because I'd like hear some more responses on this....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

FIGJAM

^^^bump^^^....because I'd like hear some more responses on this....
    You beat me to it! I was beginning to think there was no interest...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

I have taken some investigator courses here that I am impressed with both delivery and content.

https://www.cfitrainer.net/

MembersZone Subscriber

Default E Training Software

Does anyone have information or a lead on a good software program to enable us to create our own online training programs. More specificly online testing. We have a number of powerpoint presentations that are viewable thru our website, but I'l like to create an online test for those.

Any good (budget friendly) suggestions?

Kevin McManus
    Colchester, CT
    kmacinct@yahoo.com

FIGJAM

Do a Google search for "e-learn" and other related topics. (Such as "flexible learning", "on line learning",etc) There are loads of vendors out there and even a few free ones.

I haven't personally used it and don't know exactly how good it is or what it does, but I've heard good reports on one product called Moodle, that is free.
    Luke

We are currently developing the curriculum for a hydraulics course that will be offered online, through a partenership with the local school district (web resources).

Discouraged by the lack of training in this area available to volunteers, my 2005-2006 training strategic plan for our small volunteer department includes offering at least two creditable courses via the Net.

Since no one else would do it (everyone else is profit motivated), we are doing it all in-house. We are going-live with it on July 18th.

Jason
    Jason, FF-I / EMT-B
    Lakeland, FL

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anybody come across any more online training aids or courses.

FIGJAM

We had a look at an authoring tool put out by macromedia called Breeze.

Check it out! It is like an add on for Microsoft powerPoint and you take your slides, record the voice over and this tool makes it into an e-learn package. Really easy to use- if you can use Powerpoint, then you can use Breeze.

Here's a link to Macromeida Breeze
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

We have had several members complete the Incident Command and Control Series of CDs from the National Fire Academy. The members enjoy doing them and get certificates from the NFA for each CD they complete. We have also used the on-line courses provided by NFA and some by FEMA. As training officer for our dept, I do just about all of our training using Powerpoint. This seems to keep the students attention better than just standing there talking.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just about forgot about our most popular training CD. I purchased BRGs Fireground Pump Trainer software about 5 years ago. You can use it in the default settings, or configure the pump panel to match your apparatus. You can draft, hook to hydrant, pump from booster tank. You can also set it to have problems occur, such as busted line, loss of suction, run out of water, etc. Our members love it and you don't have to worry about messing up your pump!
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. Author Unknown.

Forum Member

Default HERE's WHAT WE'RE USING

We've been using QuizTest for some of our inhouse testing via our website. Pretty handy and free.

Have a new site at USfirefighters.net with a forum as well - brand new, so you might want to post there as well...

MembersZone Subscriber

Macromedia Breeze is probably one of the simplest and most professional e-Laerning suites available. The downside to Breeze is that is it incredibly expensive, and requires are good deal of investment into hardware and bandwidth to host the solution. If you have the money to spend it will not dissapoint.

If you are looking for a more cost effective solution you may want to try Dokeos... It is very similar to breeze, but doesn't have a direct PowerPoint conversion. It will take a bit longer to convert a presentation as compared to Breeze, but Dokeos is free. It is a fairly straight forward and simple install and is very easy to use. www.dokeos.com

FIGJAM

You're spot on about Breeze being expensive Don't forget there is the option to host your own stuff or package it onto a CD Rom instead of Macromedia hosting it...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

With a $10k minimum license to host your own...

Thread Information