Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Psychological Interview (Tulsa Fire)

Last week I received word that Tulsa Fire has extended a conditional offer for employment. Part of the conditions is successful completion of a psychological interview. Does anyone have a clue want this is?
    Bryn Burgess
    EMT-Paramedic

Forum Member

Default Conditional Job Offer

I believe in preparing for each step of the hiring process before you show up!

An area of great concern is the psychological test. More agencies are using this test as part of the process. Unfortunately, Forty percent of candidates are not passing the psyche test! Imagine after all the education, experience and time preparing to get this job . . . and you're eliminated. Then no one will talk to you to find out what happened. I've talked to too many candidates who were devastated and didn't know what to do next. This is a critical part of the testing process you need to prepare for and pass the first time out.

You have been testing for three, five, or seven years to get a firefighter job. You are finally in the hiring process. Youíve made it through the background check. Then, youíre conditionally offered the job pending the medical which includes a psychological test. You take the test, no big deal right? Then the phone stops ringing. You are out of the process. You are told that you didnít meet the profile. What profile?

What do you mean I didnít meet the profile? Iíve got training, experience, education, every degree, certificate, merit badge, and a paramedic certification. Iíve been a volunteer, paid member of another department for 10 years, and lived and breathed this job. And, I donít meet the profile?

More agencies are using this test as part of the process. Unfortunately, Forty percent of candidates are not passing the psyche test! Imagine after all the education, experience and time preparing to get this job . . . and you're eliminated. Then no one will talk to you to find out what happened. I've talked to too many candidates who were devastated and didn't know what to do next. This is a critical part of the testing process you need to prepare for and pass the first time out.

Believe it or not the evaluation with the psychologist is part of the interview process!

The phone rings. I could tell by the caller ID this was a candidate Iíve talked to recently.

Steve asks me if I have any information on the MMPI2 test?

CB: Yes, thatís the written portion for the psych test. Why do you ask?

SM: Well, I just failed a psych.

CB: You have our Gold Package Program with the Becoming a Firefighter book, right?

SM: Yes.

CB: Are you aware that the Conquer the Psychological Special Report is a section the book?

CB: Did you read it before your psych test?

SM: It happened so fast I didnít have time.

CB: What, they woke you up in the middle of the night and gave you the test? Let me get this right, you had our report and didn't take the time to prepare before you went in.

SM: Well, really I thought that I could just go do it and pass. I guess Iím another one of those stupid guys you write about.

CB: Let me take a shot at this. You volunteered information during the interview with the psychologist and created trails where you didnít have to?

CB: You told the psychologist anything he wanted to know?

SM: Yep.

CB: You got chatty and thought this guy was your friend?

SM: Yea, I guess I did.

CB: You thought there was some kind of doctor patient confidentially?

SM: Yea, I did.

CB: Then there should be no mystery why you failed. Had you read the report we wouldnít be talking right now. You went in and stepped on most of the land mines possible. At some point it's completely up to you.

More on the psych here http://www.eatstress.com/psych.htm

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-19-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Thread Information