Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Kids Combat Challenge

I am looking at expanding what we do for fire prevention week and events we go to in the community.

So I was thinking about a kids combat challenge. And I was wondering if anyone has dealt with one of these or know anyone that has?

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Sounds like a great idea!! Cannot offer any suggestions, but if you decide to do it and figure out a way to do it, would you mind sharing it?? Good luck and thanks!
    Gator

That would be great if someone else would take up the challenge as I did. It's really not that hard to do. We have a hose carry, crawl low, extinguish the fire,hose roll, sled and victim carry in ours. All for under $300.00. Be very creative in your thinking and by all means try it out on some firefighters kids, they will either give it thumbs up or down.

Good luck
    Lightbulb

Forum Member

We have a hose carry, crawl low, extinguish the fire,hose roll, sled and victim carry in ours. All for under $300.00.
    Lightbulb how did you get all of that set up for $300.00 after researching I came up with the hose carry, extinguish the fire and a victim carry. And the hose roll, sled and crawl low all sound great to I will have to sit down tonight and think about those as well as some other things that have come to mind.

Where did you get your sled?
    And how do you do your crawl low and hose roll?
    And how big of an area do you usually need for your course?

Also does anyone know about the sets of bunker gear for kids? I've seen them used while researching on this and think it would be great to look at down the road if this really took off.

Thanks for the replys and taking time to read the thread

Daniel

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up Re. gear

Something to think about for the "future" -- a friend of mine got most of her gear for fire prevention after Halloween on clearance! A lot stores carry firefighter outfits and costumes are usually left over after Halloween...

My dept. set up a ply-wood house (it's just one-sided) with a cut-out window and a "flame" that flaps down when water is applied to it -- we use our booster line. The kids love it. We give them a plastic helmet when they "put the fire out".
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

The sled is really easy to set up just use whatever size Channel steel that you can lay hands on (most welding shop will donate it to FD's) I used 6" as for the weight I used a large wooden block and added weight to whatever weight I wanted this to donated by the welding shop the wood came from a lumber yard and for a mallet a rubber hammer.

Crawl low, I used the orange type netting used for fencing during landscaping and rebar for post to hold the netting up off of the ground to any given height, be sure to cover ends of the rebar after driving them into the ground (OSHA). Use carpet runners for hard surfaces for the kids/adult to crawl on.

Hose roll, just as we do it in the fire service. Match up the size hose for the contestant.

Area used, 200' x 200' it depends on how close you want it and how much help you have.

Turnout gear, You may want to try Mifflin Valley Reflective Apparel 1-888-775-5209 or by web www.mifflinvalley.com

Good luck,
    Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb
    Turnout gear, You may want to try Mifflin Valley Reflective Apparel 1-888-775-5209 or by web www.mifflinvalley.com
    I got some gear from Mifflin Valley when I was 6 or 7. Still to this day, my parents say that it is the best Christmas present they ever gave me. I would wear it to my Dad's station and set it out next to his. They have good stuff, we still have it down in our basement and let neighborhood kids wear it at Halloween. Many other catalogs carry kids fire gear at a price lower than that of Mifflin Valley, but the Mifflin Valley stuff lasts longer.

Wow, I was just talking about the durability and longevity of KIDS fire gear.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information