Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Last edited by kooldude73; 02-24-2008 at 02:24 AM.

Forum Member

Last edited by 5alarmcooker; 03-17-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Forum Member

Smile New Jersey State Police !

We cover the Garden State Pky exit 127 area and also Route 9 & Rt 440, most of the troopers are pretty good to work with. sometimes we will have a wrong message sent to us on the location of a car fire or MVA from there dispatcher ! Maybe they can get " GPS "units for there cars .

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NJSP trump card

there is a clause in the NJ laws that basically the NJSP badge trumps all... if they are on the scene of an emergency in the state of NJ, technically they are ultimately in charge.... that means technically ANY emergency scene. the other laws referred to in this forum deal with mostly local/county pd's. in which it is basically this. if there is a patient involved, then EMS is in charge. if there is no patient, but there is fire, then FIRE Dept is in charge, if there is no fire & no patient, then the scene reverts back to the PD. like i said, the only exception to this is the NJSP badge. they can pull that card and take over any emergency scene anywhere in the state of NJ from ANYONE.

Default Eop

Another item to remember is your emergency management plan. If you have taken the time to have the following in your plan you will have SLIGHTLY more to stand on.

1.Incident type
    2. Department that respond
    a.conditions of the incident will dictate who will be in charge.

Remember the State Police approve your plan!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffgumby04 View Post
    there is a clause in the NJ laws that basically the NJSP badge trumps all... if they are on the scene of an emergency in the state of NJ, technically they are ultimately in charge.... that means technically ANY emergency scene. the other laws referred to in this forum deal with mostly local/county pd's. in which it is basically this. if there is a patient involved, then EMS is in charge. if there is no patient, but there is fire, then FIRE Dept is in charge, if there is no fire & no patient, then the scene reverts back to the PD. like i said, the only exception to this is the NJSP badge. they can pull that card and take over any emergency scene anywhere in the state of NJ from ANYONE.
    I'd like to see the citation for such a law. Although there is much talk that this is the truth, I never ran across that particular statute while completing law school, or passing the bar exam, or being admitted to the practice of law in NJ. Not that it COULDN'T exist, mind you, but I never saw anything remotely similar to what is described.

Even if the legislature granted such authority, it would take large cojones and a small brain to assume authority over things outside of your expertise. I DID learn a bit about civil liability, and such actions would make for a great case. "I didn't know a thing about what needed to be done, your honor, but I have this nifty triangular badge and a cool hat, so therefore I can be in charge if I want to."

Fortunately, most of the troopers I met during my 8 years as a NJ MICP (#828) were far smarter than that - in fact, most were pretty darn good to work with.

Skip

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by SkipKirkwood View Post
    Fortunately, most of the troopers I met during my 8 years as a NJ MICP (#828) were far smarter than that - in fact, most were pretty darn good to work with.

Skip
    828?!
    Damn Skip, you be a Crusty ol' Medic!
    Last I heard they are in the low to mid 3000s.
    I should know for myself verrrrry soon.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?76989

http://www.1stresponder.com/webpages...7-2feb62457466

Happened not too far from me. This what happens when you want to open the road more then protect the people working.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face highway safety standards

In the state of New Jersey, the State police are currently putting together a standard for highway operations, it is currently being reviewed by the attorney general's office to make sure it's all good and legal. This emergency operating standard will apply for all police, fire, ems, DOT, and private contractor operating on the scene of an emergency. and will apply only to multi-lane highway's at this time. terminology, as well as vehicle placement, will be the same all over the state, based on a combination of anticipated duration on scene, as well as type of action needed to take place. there will be allowances for work zones, and safe zones, as well as buffer zones, it's not rocket science, but the brief look at the proposal i saw looked like it will be to the benefit of all. hopefully we can avoid any further close calls, on NJ Highways. I know many of the Hope FF's who were involved in this close call. NJSP anticipates a spring of 2009 adoption of these standards. On a national level we need to start a campaign to inform the publicof our need and desire for them to slow down and drive with caution, and most of all pay attention.

Forum Member

Simple: report him for professional misconduct.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wyrepullr View Post
    In the state of New Jersey, the State police are currently putting together a standard for highway operations, it is currently being reviewed by the attorney general's office to make sure it's all good and legal. This emergency operating standard will apply for all police, fire, ems, DOT, and private contractor operating on the scene of an emergency. and will apply only to multi-lane highway's at this time. terminology, as well as vehicle placement, will be the same all over the state, based on a combination of anticipated duration on scene, as well as type of action needed to take place. there will be allowances for work zones, and safe zones, as well as buffer zones, it's not rocket science, but the brief look at the proposal i saw looked like it will be to the benefit of all. hopefully we can avoid any further close calls, on NJ Highways. I know many of the Hope FF's who were involved in this close call. NJSP anticipates a spring of 2009 adoption of these standards. On a national level we need to start a campaign to inform the publicof our need and desire for them to slow down and drive with caution, and most of all pay attention.

Any updates on this? I had seen the draft as well and agreed with most of it. Was wondering if it has gone any further...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information