+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    former FH.com member

Talking Now this is embareASSing!

Oops!

Bizarre Shooting: Cop Drops Pants, Gun Falls Out

LAST UPDATE: 4/20/2005 3:54:30 PM
    Posted By: Andrea Rigsby

A bizarre shooting involving an off-duty San Antonio police officer Wednesday.

Police say the officer was using the restroom at an auto auction on Ackerman, when he pulled down his pants his gun fell out. The gun hit the ground and went off.

A fragment of the bullet hit another man in the leg. He was taken to Southeast Baptist Hospital in Good condition.

Police say it was just an accident and the officer won't be charged.

Send news tips/story ideas to WOAI...

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Another one somebody isn't going to live down anytime soon.

Glad to hear it was minor.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

You would have thought that a cop would have a quality weapon that would not discharged under such circumstances. But this makes me worry more now about a civilian with a concealed carry permit who bought an inexpensive gun for self protection with no regard for the quality of the gun. Now we have to worry about the guy in the next stall being a "CCW" permit holder... we aren't safe even on the throne!!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I bet he had no problems with his bowl movment - even if he didnt have to go
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Oh my Your right, he's NEVER going live that down
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

And I always thought the nightstick would be more dangerous in a restroom....
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't this the funniest story you have ever read?

1. A man receives a GSW
    2. A weapons malfunction occurred
    3. A holster malfunction occurred (if he was wearing one)
    4. An officer will have to undergo an intensive IAD investigation. He may not be charged criminally, but he will undergo an unnecessary and stressful IAD review.

The only possible way this could have been funnier was if one of them were killed!

You people are the same sorry excuses for public servants who scream when somebody writes a friggin' cartoon making fun of FF. You pathetic hypocrites.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 04-21-2005 at 03:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Originally posted by Dave404
    I bet he had no problems with his bowl movment - even if he didnt have to go
    ROF-LMAO!! And yes, I am sure that said officer will not live it down for a long time. Kinda like the H.M.C. who keeps popping up every so often. Eh Tanker?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

former FH.com member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

You people are the same sorry excuses for public servants who scream when somebody writes a friggin' cartoon making fun of FF. You pathetic hypocrites.
    Whatever George. I'm sure you're going to label me as "anti-cop" too now right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, no. All you did was post the article. Why?

Oh no......... You guys woke the angry bear........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Oh no......... You guys woke the angry bear........
    Just think of him like your grumpy Grandpa. He's gruff and complains about everything, but you still need to see him because every now and again he brings you a little gift.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

no actualy the story is funnier then hell!
    do i hate cops no !
    am i glad no one was hurt YES!

this is just a story where the guy is gonna have his balls busted for a long time and eventualy gonna look back and probably chuckle at it himself.

cops have personalitys like the rest of us and are sure gonna rag this guy to death !

now if someone was seriously hurt then things would be different .

Very curious about the firearm.

Very curious about a holster, and if one was used, the manufacturer and retention level.

Unfortunate event... luckily he's alive.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

got a big ol can of LIGHTEN UP! for ya george, but you probably dont drink.
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    3. A holster malfunction occurred (if he was wearing one)
    At least it won't be defined as a "wardrobe malfuntion". The pants apparently down on purpose.

Aren't there "safeties" on guns? Wouldn't/Shouldn't that be in use while doing a bathroom break? I can understand it not normally being in use, but not at that time. Would that have stopped an accidental discharge?

By the way George, I know a fire arms instructor for the State police who years ago, while cleaning his weapon, "fatally" shot an IBM typewriter while in the office. He went through the whole investigation/questioning process too. He still laughs, embarrassingly, about it today. It has not ruined his life or career, he just gets his balls continuously busted.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Originally posted by Bones42
    Aren't there "safeties" on guns? Wouldn't/Shouldn't that be in use while doing a bathroom break? I can understand it not normally being in use, but not at that time. Would that have stopped an accidental discharge?

Almost all have some type of safety. Glocks, which are far and away the most common LE sidearm, don't have a traditional safety. They've got an inner trigger and an outer trigger that must be pulled at the same time. If you hang the bottom of the trigger on something, no matter how hard you pull it won't fire. However, if you somehow manage to get both hung at the same time, 5 or 6 pounds of pressure later GLOCK GO BOOM.

I've been around and owned guns all my life but Glock handguns scare the crap out of me.

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    Just think of him like your grumpy Grandpa. He's gruff and complains about everything, but you still need to see him because every now and again he brings you a little gift.
    ROTF!!!! that's great, I never even thought of him that way. but it's a very apt description.

as for the story, one of the reasons it's so funny is that is happened, and everyone lived to talk about it. and just think, what are the odds that the holster malfunctioned, and the firearm malfunctioned, and the officer's wardrobe probably malfunctioned too (because his civilian clothes permitted the holster to malfunction), and resulted in this story making the news?

Bones, in relation to your story, that was why my dad always taught me to make sure any gun was unloaded before you started cleaning it. otherwise firearm malfunctions can occur
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Bones42

By the way George, I know a fire arms instructor for the State police who years ago, while cleaning his weapon, "fatally" shot an IBM typewriter while in the office. He went through the whole investigation/questioning process too. He still laughs, embarrassingly, about it today. It has not ruined his life or career, he just gets his balls continuously busted.
    Nobody was injured in his incident, were they? Apples and oranges.

Thread Information