Forum Member

Default Gear up standards

Does anyone know the standards for Illinois on times for going from street clothes to air, or gear to air?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

If you are refering for the state practical I believe it is 45 seconds. Of course in Academy they wanted us 30 seconds or under, but correctly. Hope that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

For FFII certification, it is 60 seconds for the practical evolution.

FFII, Mod A, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus:
    2-4.12.1 Don and activate SCBA, within one minute, according to manufacturer’s recommendations.

reference

Train2, I believe 45 seconds is for U of I smoke divers.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Correct ME if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1 minute just donning the SCBA? Doesn't include bunkers, does it?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

In the academy I attended (Elgin, IL) - the only requirement was to don the SCBA and be on air, ready to go in under a minute. This was started while in full turnouts. Of course you needed gloves and helmet on, hood in place, etc.

I suspect if there was an OSFM requirement beyond that, they would have required us to do it.

We also require the same standard on my volunteer department, as we did when I was paid. If there is a time requirement from street clothes to air, then we aren't testing to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had the same experience in Elgin that np had. Np, when did you go?

The state practical describes only donning the SCBA. There is no mention of donning gear, so I am guessing that you start with pants and coat on, hood around your neck, and stuff laid out ready to don.

Check the link above, and go to page 34 of the outline.
    Last edited by jaybird210; 04-21-2005 at 11:56 AM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I was there fall class of 2002, if I recall correctly. The first anniversary of 9/11 sticks in my mind.

Great bunch of instructors, and overall I learned a great deal. Not that I'm able to attend another academy (honestly, nor would I want to), but it would be interesting to see how they stack up against Rockford, IL or another suburb's academy. Rockford's has more of a military flavor to it, though to proclaim one better than the other wouldn't accomplish much.

Jay - did they use the old mental hospital building for SCBA training when you went? Creepy, creepy place they've got there, that whole campus. If those walls could talk.

A lot of instructors in there left a pretty lasting impression on me. Rudy Horist was probably the most notable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Np, I went through it in Spring of '02 for Streamwood. We used the old mental hospital, too. Hell of a great set up.

Horist is far and away the best instructor I've ever had for any fire class.

Their FAE and HazMat Ops classes were very good, also.

I did get called into the office once. When you come down for our open house, I'll tell you the story. It's pretty funny.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Way off thread here, but was "Dick" Cummings (that's his real name) the lead guy when you went through? He almost killed me with a halligan trying to kill a bee. That man had one seriously irrational fear of stinging insects..

Fahey (Fahey's Funhouse fame) didn't like me much after a truckie joke I told. I thought it was in good humor but worried about what he was going to do to me, but during the day of our final practical he was great. I did HazMat ops there, but not FAE. Wish I could have, but I've got the cert now, that's all that matters I suppose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, "Dick" was running the show. I got a kick out of Fahey, too. He didn't take much poop. He made one of my classmates cry. I'll tell you that story, too.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

See - now I have real incentive to come down there to see the new building. EFA war stories. The first reason was just to be jealous of a nice facility with some room to grow. At least we've got an engine coming this fall and another being finalized right now. It isn't like they aren't spending ANY money on us... They've spent about $45K on new bunkers over the past two years as well. Our buildings just aren't terribly nice.

Then again, our roof doesn't leak either.

When is the open house tentatively scheduled for? We've got two tower days to get our recruits through, as well as Fire College coming. Hope nothing conflicts.

Forum Member

Jaybird, I stand corrected. Here I have always taught under 45 seconds and never really paid attention to the time in the state manual. U of I not only uses 45 seconds for Smoke Divers but Fire Academy. Seriously though thanks for the correction/info. May come in handy for argument sake in the future.

Bobby
    Last edited by letstrain2; 04-22-2005 at 12:29 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bobby, there's nothing wrong with getting your students to 45 secs. I'll take your guys on the RIT team!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

When I went through IFSI's academy, the time was 45 seconds from full turnout gear, to being fully dressed ready to make entry. Really wasn't too hard, just takes practice. And they made sure we got the practice.

Jay, at some point, I am planning on getting down and seeing the new place. Whens the move in date?
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

HOLY SCHNIKIES!! ERIC IS ALIVE!!!

Hey, buddy! I thought you were dead!

No move in date yet, but the construction manager says he wants to have the punch list done and be gone by May 15th. I pointed out to him that the 15th is a Sunday, and he just shrugged.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

May 15th, huh? That still gives me about 3 weeks to get our guys off their dead butts. We'll still get second place.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Be careful, Jackson. May 15th is bye-bye Phalen date. We might be moved-in and operating before then....!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there anything any stake here between you two but pride? Liquor, hair removal, etc.?

Could make things interesting...

MembersZone Subscriber

We haven't put anything except our reputations on the line. Then again, I guess that isn't really much of a bet, is it?
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

We haven't put anything except our reputations on the line. Then again, I guess that isn't really much of a bet, is it?
    I agree. Kinda like betting a dollar, only not as much at stake....

I thought there was talk of the loser buying a malt-based beverige for the winner at the winner's open house, but that might be wishful thinking.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

That'll probably happen no matter who gets done first. In fact, I'd be safe to say there might even be some meat cooking on my Ducane for after our open house, only for crusties of course. After all, it's only about 60 paces from the firehouse door.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, its my first hijacked thread. Didn't mean to begin an offshoot of the firehouse thread. Oh well.

Jay, been busy as hell. A lot of overtime, and to top it off, I got a second job as an ED tech in rockford. Doesn't leave me a lot of time to sleep, let alone post.
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Thread Information