View Poll Results: How are your sirens activated?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Radio Ė two tone

10 34.48%
  • Radio Ė DTMF

9 31.03%
  • Phone line

2 6.90%
  • Power switch

2 6.90%
  • Other

6 20.69%
    Forum Member

Default Tornado & CD sirens

If you have sirens in your area, how many do you have and what size of an area do they cover? Who is responsible for activating them? Are they the traditional mechanical or newer speaker type? If voice capable, is it used? And finally, how are they activated?

Iíve heard we are supposed to get a new one and wanted to know what everyone else uses.

We have one siren in Cave City. you can hear it form just about every spot in town. Barren Co fire dispatch is responsible for activating the siren and a newer speaker type

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Should be an button labeled, DON'T HAVE ANY!!!

We had them and took them all down years ago. No one paid any attention to them. They were the old CD type air raid siren and were also used for severe weather. They are now history.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is great....we moved into a brand new station about a year ago. The CD siren was housed at the old station, and when they tore down the old station, they also removed all the automatic equipment for setting off the siren.....

The city is in the process of getting two new sirens to cover the town, but that's probably still about a year away.

So last year, and this year, when there is a tornado warning we have to have one of our firefighters go to the utility pole where the siren is located and manually hold the button in for the 3 minutes, plus for the all clear...no kidding, someone has to stand outside with thier finger on the button and the siren blaring away in thier ear with hail, rain ect for the three minutes that the siren needs to go off...................obviously we use a rookie to do that!

Forum Member

Originally posted by allineedisu

We had them and took them all down years ago. No one paid any attention to them. They were the old CD type air raid siren and were also used for severe weather. They are now history.
    ditto
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

There was an air force base, and the North East United States missle silos five miles (as the crow flies) from town. So in 1954 they Plastered the area with Federal SD-10's and Thunderbolts. They put them in the woods, at the firehouses, in the coal mines, everywhere... So that everyone would know there was an air raid and they would all die b/c they had no fall out shelters.

We still have one, an SD-10... Civil Defense Issue, we were also a disaster hospital. In 1993 Bill Clinton disbanded the FCDA for FEMA. So they came and said "it's yours". We never used a siren for fires, we had a steam whistle for over 100 years. But we tapped in to the civil defense siren in case of severe weather, little did we know they were all connected. I.E. One goes off, they all do. When the air force based left, and they trucked their missles out telling us they were just large pipes, the control box for these things went with them. They can be set off by radio, telephone, timer, or pushing a button. Only problem is, we had the power lines removed. The Blower for thise siren can be heard 13 miles away, and it costs 5.00 per minute in electric power to run. That's a bit much. We do, however, plan on having it fit w/ a motor instead of fans and use it locally for fire dispatch "in the city" due to a minor radio problem. I was in the old Air Base a few years ago, they have a pile of sirens behind the fire station... I'm sure that would buff out that civil defense museum guy. Incidently our 100 y/o steam siren was supposed to be saved for a local museum, but in the process of remove the 800lb giant, the cable on the crane broke and it fell 60' to the cement floor of the factory it was on. Neither the floor nor the whistle survived.

www.civildefensemuseum.com
    Last edited by blueeighty88; 04-21-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Forum Member

Yep, we got them. I think we have 4 or 5 in the city........ All 2-tone activated by the county Sherrif's office......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Yep, we got them. I think we have 4 or 5 in the city........ All 2-tone activated by the county Sherrif's office......
    Same for us we have 3 in our Township, activated by the SO. They have a two tone hi-lo for our fire dept. calls and a steady tone for tomato warnings.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

we have 2 also.........can be set off by the County SO or by us at the station ........we would then notify the SO of our activating them ......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

The county put brand new ones up on the beaches a couple years ago for hurricane evacuations. They are the speaker type with PA, but I have no idea who operates them. Got a chance to hear them in action last summer. The nearest one is about 2 miles from my house. Heard it clear as a bell.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Siren can be activated from the 911 dispatch center, from the police car, from the phone company, from the fire station.
    Got all the bases covered.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

10 sirens covering 13.5 sq. miles. Also have one that is trailer mounted in the event that one is out of service. Trailer is also equipped with a PA system for large area coverage or special events.

Forum Member

We have 1 that is a speaker setup. Have only used the voice in testing as with the wind, you only hear it downwind. It's activated by radio from our police desk, which is our dispatch center. It can also be setoff by backup radios at each of our firehouses and a couple of our portable radios.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Here's a question...how many of you consistently activate the sirens every time there is a warning? Our department protocal has never been to run the fire siren for weather alerts. Mainly because we do not have a lot of storms that get near us. We had an issue a few years ago, where a tornado was within 10 miles of us. I was on the road tracking the storm, so I wasn't available, but if I was near, I would have set it off. The issue is that if you use a siren once, you are now "obligated" to set them off every time since, lest you want the lawyers to come around. The problem is that I seem to be the only one with enough interest to even consider it. Then again, if we had a ESDA director that considered weather hazards a threat, maybe there would be a countywide standard.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by 4caster
    Our department protocal has never been to run the fire siren for weather alerts. Mainly because we do not have a lot of storms that get near us. We had an issue a few years ago, where a tornado was within 10 miles of us. I was on the road tracking the storm, so I wasn't available, but if I was near, I would have set it off.
    No offense, but how would have setting off the siren helped? If it's the fire siren and you guys never use it for severe weather, then the citizens would have associated it with a fire run -- not a storm.

Forum Member

We have several where I live, probably more than a dozen, scattered about due to the large number of chemical plants in the area. They are the new speaker type and are tested on the first Monday of each month around 10am. They are activated by the Parish OEP/911 Director whenever there is a reported haz-mat release. When the sirens go off residents can tune to local cable TV which will have information broadcast via a cable override system. They can also tuen to 2 low power AM radio stations operated by the Parish OEP. Finally, for residents under direct threat the OEP will activate a telephone ring down system. The Parish where I work also has many sirens due to a nearby nuclear power plant.

Forum Member

DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!! you are alive !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Permanently Removed

We have two sirens that cover our city which encompasses approximately 3 square miles. One is at the north end of town at the fire station and is an older fan style siren that is timed to go off every day but Sunday at noon and 6 pm. It can manually be set off during daylight hours for fire runs and can also be activated for tornado warnings. The other is a newer siren that rotates and is located near the south end of town at the school. It is activated only during severe weather events and is tested the first Wednesday of every month. This siren can be heard up to 5 miles away. Both sirens must be manually activated by personnel at a panel at the fire station. Ideally our county dispatch would be responsible for this, but the infrastructure required has been deemed to costly.

Forum Member

we have 5 sirens for 64 miles. they're at each of the 5 firehouses and are activated for fire runs only. The dispatch center sets them off for us, and i have no clue what they are

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!! you are alive !
    Yep. Sent you a PM.

Forum Member

When we had sirens...before the neighbors complained to both the FD and the town...they were activated by 2 tone after our pager tones, and also a manual button.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a 5HP siren at the station mounted about 30' in the air. We took a lightning strike a few years ago and burned the old unit up along with the controls. When we put the new unit up we replaced the control box with a surplus 4 tone timer. It will do a fire signal (3min off on) and a weather alert tone (3 min. on). We have had classes and sent letters out but still have people come up and ask "Where was the fire at during the storm yesterday" when we set the weather alert tone off. Anyway we are still working on that part.

The county sets our pagers off and a member goes to the station and activates the unit then heads for cover.
    Last edited by Firefighter430; 04-25-2005 at 11:00 AM.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Originally posted by allineedisu
    Yep...though we do have a fire whistle, which could be used as such if necessary, but no procedure has been put into place for this. We don't get many tornados in WV...it is wired into a Motorola Minitor in the control house some how, and when dispatch tones us it alerts with all the rest of our Minitors/radios and some how trips the fire whistle. Not sure how exactly all that works. It can also be activated manually in the control house.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Our city has two storm sirens. We are able to set them off from several of our radios that have the internal frequencey thingie. The PD also has radios in their cars that can set them off as well. Usually its the FD's call, but because we're a volly station the city thought it would be good for the PD to have access to set it off as well.

TF

Thread Information