Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Angry Health Insurance ?

I'd like to compare what various locals throughout the country pay for health insurance.

Here The City pays the first $307 a month, then the costs are split between Employee and City.

The employee costs are $0 for single coverage, $91 a week for family.

Roughly $4600 a year cost per employee

This seems extremely high to me.

The City pays 70% of our health insurance, we pay 30% based on a firefighter's salary. If one wants the PPO option , the ratio is 60%-40%. The City is self insured, Tufts Associated Health Plans does the admin work.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

For years we in Rhode Island have paid nothing for health insurance. Now we just signed a contract that requires us to pay 5% capped at $780 annually. This means the most anyone will pay is $30 a pay period. And that is for family. Single will be around $12 a pay period. This trend just started last year. Now most are going to it, but at a $$$ amount only. A few depts. are resisting, but it is coming for everyone.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Its nice live in a country that has universal health care. We do still have Blue Cross to cover prescriptions and the like
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

The city informed us we may be losing our health coverage because it is costing too much. Yet they keep our pay low since they have always paid all of our health care cost.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I work for a Volunteer Company in Delaware....We {6 Full Time Personnel} were just awarded 100% Full Family Coverage. We used to receive 100% for Employees and paid for wife, children which would have cost me about $350. per month. Now as of July 01 We'll pay 0 for everything.

Exactly how it was approved I'm not sure Now we are not in a local or anything like that....We went to the Company Board, presented our ideas, laid out a plan and goal and were awarded the benifits.

For family coverage I pay $40 a month through payroll deductions. The payroll deduction is pre tax so it saves me a little on taxes.

Thats not bad considering it is very good coverage with vision and dental. Just with vision alone it saved me more than what I pay per year through payroll deduction. My wife has glasses and contacts and my 2 year old daughter is very neer-sighted and needs to wear glasses that would have cost over $300!

The city is fighting hard every time we go in to negotiate a new contract. That is usualy the city's big item for negotiating.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

(Previously posted as Hobbitt. Registered December '02,)

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Our individual insurance is paid 100% by the city and costs them $371.99 per month. For family coverage, the city pays $591.61 (includes individual coverage). The employee pays $382.50 per month. $1000 deductible, $2500 max out-of-pocket, $30 MD copay, $10/$35/$50 prescription copay.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

IT seems as if everyone is different...

but all have 1 thing in common.

You're paying alot less than the $4600 per year we're now paying except for ullrichk

who pays close to the same but he has higher deductables.

man this sucks lol

Forum Member

Our health insurance depends on what plan you select and how many individuals in your family are covered.

The city pays the coverage for single employees, but I cover myself, my wife and children which costs me around $4000 annually. Additionally, our plan requires a $30 copay on all office visits, plus a prescription copay. Not too bad when compared to what I paid in the private sector, but not as good a deal as some of you other guys have.

It might be nice to compare health insurance costs in realtion to top firefighter pay. That might give us a better indication of what where the city is putting their money.

Top firefighters in our department (three years) receive a base pay of $57,680, longevity kicks in after five years and can add an additional 4%-6.5%.

Health insurance is going to continue to be a battleground issue for employees for the foreseeable future.

Forum Member

We have several options but Blue Choice, family plan, we pay 0%.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Our city is "self insuring" and it is running about $175 every two week for family coverage here. That would run about $375 per month overall figuring 26 two wek pay cycles. And it looks like it will go up again next year.

Local 865, wonderful western North Carolina

Forum Member

We pay nothing for full healthcare. Wether it be for single or family. Also we have no copays. The city covers our copays by reimbursing the out of pocket money we spend. Sweet deal!
    Local #10

Charles Stephen
    Eric Jeffrey
    Born 7/24/07
    My new twin boys that I love even more than being on the job!

Forum Member

for singlw we pay $1.00a year and city pays 405.10 month

for spouse we pay 200.00 a month and city pays 605.05 a month

for children we pay 169.76 a monthand city pays 574.86 a month

for spouse and children we pay 371.02 a month and city pays 776.12 a month

Thread Information