Thread: Am I dreaming??

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Am I dreaming??

I sell Municipal Bonds for a living in downtown NYC. I became a volunteer Fireman 3 years ago. I absolutely love it! I became an EMT and go to all in house schools and those offered by the local fire academy. Its all I think about. I may sound crazy but I want to walk away from Wall Street and would love to be a paid Firefighter/ EMT. One big problem is my age. I'm 41 but Iím in great shape and work out often. From the homework I have done so far, I donít have many options because there are not many states that will take someone my age. I'm trying to find out if I can get in the FDNY by starting as an EMT then somehow advancing through the back door.

I'm willing to relocate.

Does anyone have any advice??
    Last edited by RoughRider; 04-21-2005 at 04:28 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default back door

I don't believe you can get into the FDNY at your age. 29 is the upper limit with some flexibility for military time. Many suburban departments will hire people at your age. Also look into Phoenix. They have no age cap for their recruit class. A couple of years ago they hired a 47 year old. So don't give up hope, there are plenty of places that will hire you but you may have to become a Paramedic first. Good luck and don't let anyone get in the way of your dream.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think there is a back way in to most of those larger metropolitan departments out East like FDNY and BFD via the EMS route. Some other departments also have a residency requirement at time of application.

The age cap though seems to be a East Coast thing mainly. If you are serious about the dream; consider moving West. I can think of maybe only one department that had something similar to an age limit out west.

Subscribe to www.firecareers.com and www.firerecruit.com. They will usually have the minimum requirements provided to them with each job posting they are provided.

And also don't give up hope. As long as you are intelligent, have common sense and are in shape, you'll have a leg up.

Good luck,
    bam

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I am glad I finally started reading these message boards. I am 25 years old and going through my E.M.T. course out west. I was afraid I was getting to old. I spent four years in the U.S.M.C as a military police officer, but now that I see Rough has the motivation and the kind words from everybody else. I see that I am on the right track as long as I am dedicated.

Forum Member

Wink 41 year old getting hired

I know someone hired on Madison WI. FD that was over 40.

Permanently Removed

Default Age...

A lot of older candidates are getting hired on the West coast.
    I dont know why, its just happening.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Never Give up

I too am 41 and share the same dream. I am living in SC and work as a telecommunications engenieer. I would gladly give it all up to be a paid ff. If you read the thread "I want to be a firefighter" you will understand what I mean. Do not give up no matter what. If it is important to you and it is in the Lords will it will happen. Study Hard...Work out Regularly and Never give up. I am working daily on First Responder Training. I have enrolled in Night School for Paramedic, I recently took the FF exam in Charlotte and am perpaaring for the CPAT Test ncase I get seleceted for the next level. Never give up. Work Hard. and I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Respectfully
    Kenneth Richard Beaudoin

Forum Member

Default Dream on

But is Age a Factor in Getting Hired?

I've coached several candidates over the age of 30. Itís not uncommon to see candidates in their late thirties or early forties hired, especially paramedics. I encourage candidates to focus on the personal life experience when answering questions in the oral board. No one else can tell your stories where your have been. Over age thirty candidates have life experiences younger candidate canít match.

When any candidate answers a question and laces it with a story that demonstrates they have lived the experience, they separate themselves from the other "Clone" candidates.

I work shoulder to shoulder with candidates through the process until they get the badge. Nothing counts until you get the badge!

Here is a testimony I just received from one of my over 40 years old energizer bunny candidates that kept going and going and going when others would quit:

I have arrived at the moment, that before September 15th 2004 was only realized in my dreams, that was the day I received ďthe callĒ informing me that I had been chosen as one of the fourteen candidates to start the academy for Las Vegas Fire and Rescue!

I am very fit. I work out 5 days a week and have for years. I have my EMT-Intermediate Certification and a burning desire to become a firefighter since I was 10 years old. Some times life seems to get in the way of our dreams and plans, but I have learned only if you let it! Three years ago I decided to go for my dream career, I had done everything I knew I could do to physically be ready for this demanding job, but I was oblivious to the testing and hiring process. That is when I came across your web site, Captain Bob your materials were invaluable in helping me obtain my badge. I followed your advise to the letter throughout the process from testing to oral interviews and the psych. Your insight is right on the mark!

Low and behold I am poised to start my dream career! Thank you is not enough to express my heart felt gratitude for your help in getting me to this place in life. I look forward to meeting you in person some day to say ďthanksĒ. Ted R. Las Vegas Nevada

Ted was number 3 on the list, an EMT and FORTY-SEVEN YEARS OLD! He also scored higher than his Son on the same list and got the job. Bravo!

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking to stay on the east coast, try Montgomery County Maryland. Fairly large career department (1000 plus) with decent people, equipment and calls.
    They have been hiring 40 plus year old applicants. Recruit class 24 (graduates May 6,05) has 2 males over 40 and had 1 female closer to 50 in the class.(unforturnately, she got hurt and couldn't continue) The average age in my class is like 29 years.

They will be hiring soon again. Here's the link
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/fi...ment/index.asp

Good luck
    Last edited by lagerboy; 05-01-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Member

Default Be Ready!

It's one thing to have the desire. It's another to understand to be ready when the opportunity presents itself by knowing how to take the all important oral board interview which is usually 100% of your score to be hired. This is not a regular corporate interview!

Here's a NYC candidate who made the leap:

Over 700 people applied for this position and only 27 were hired. I am one of them thanks to you and Rob! This feeling of accomplishment feels like it will last a lifetime, it's an amazing feeling. It doesn't matter where you are from, what part of the country you're in, how old or tall, or fit you are, without these tools you have provided I'd still be a phone man in NY. Now I'm achieved my dream job and proud to say I'll be a firefighter in beautiful Virginia Beach. Thank you. Tim

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 05-01-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Thread Information