MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Latest Version Of Make Work/spend Money Project?

Ottawa to spend $443,000 on passport name change

Canadian Press April 21, 2005

OTTAWA (CP) -- It's just one six-letter word. How much could it cost?

Well, hold onto your wallets: It will cost taxpayers $443,237 to change the name Passport Office to Passport Canada.

That's roughly $74,000 per letter. Most of the expenses, nearly $400,000, will come from changing signs at Passport Canada regional offices, according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

The rest of the costs come from printing new business cards and letterhead, changes to websites and buying new passport application forms.

Nearly $5,000 was spent announcing the name change at launch events across the country.

In French, the name was changed to Passeport Canada.

"The new name more aptly reflects the role Passport Canada plays in the lives of Canadians," Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew said last month in announcing the alteration.

Some critics, however, think the money could have been more wisely used somewhere else.

"I would have liked to see more resources go into local passport offices themselves in constituencies where offices are flooded (with passport applications)," said Conservative foreign affairs critic Stockwell Day.

"It comes back to our [MP] offices that our citizens are not getting the service that they need. It would have made far more sense to have it directed to actual people resources."

The demand for passports has increased drastically during the last few years, some of that a result of Canadians concerned with crossing the border into the United States after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

In 2003-2004, more than 10,000 passports were delivered across Canada every business day.

The federal government predicts more than three million passports will be issued this year from Passport Canada's 33 regional offices.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

No wonder why the gov't claims there's no money for things that really matter........ you know, health care, education and military spending. What a freaken joke, they keep spending it on crap like this and expect the countrymen to understand, what BS.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Sounds pretty cheap, the US spends about $20 million every time they change the face of a $5, $10, $20, $50, or $100 bill on the PR Campaign alone.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Comparatively speaking, Dennis, you are right. I have to point out the large disparity in population sizes between north and south o' da border though.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

On the same note, Britains largest police force (Londons Metropolitain Police), recently decided it would change its slogan "Working for a Safer London", to Working Together for a Safer London".

The expected bill, to change the motto on all stationary, vehicles and buildings, rubber stamps etc is expected to top 1.5 million...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thread Information