• Fire Suppression, EMS, Rescue

3 7.14%
  • Rescue, EMS, Fire Suppression

3 7.14%
  • Other, see my post....

16 38.10%
    Forum Member

Default Order of response to MVC?

Trying to jump start some discussion on which apparatus to roll in which order to MVCs for our SOGs.

My previous department rolled the ALS ambulance first, followed by heavy rescue, followed by pumper. Reasoning was practically all MVCs have injuries (ambulance), many require extrication (rescue), and a few have fire (pumper).

My current department has a different approach. Roll pumper, then rescue. Ambulance is provided by private provider and comes independently. Reasoning is in case of fire, quick suppression is required, and rescue/extrication can wait longer than fire suppression.

Both lines of reasoning have their merits. I'd like to hear others, and find out what your SOGs are for MVC responses, to take to the table as appropriate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Always an engine first, then ambo, then heavy squad unless PD or dispatch advises extrication, then squad goes second.

The reason for the engine first is to block the scene with the biggest apparatus we have:

http://www.wtfd.net/redbook/sog39.html
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Depends. My department has an ALS engine at one station, and ALS quint at the second and an ALS squad (heavy resuce) at the 3rd. The quint and squad also carry extrication equipment. So depending on what part of our district the MVC occures, dictates the response.

If its in the squads first due ALS area, then we get the squad as the ALS unit and the quint for extrication/fire supression. Both are dispatched at the same time along with a county ambulance. If its in the engines ALS area, we get the engine and either the squad (south end) or quint (north end). If its in the quints ALS area, you get it with the squad (south end) or the engine (north end). Confused?

Other area department run an ALS engine, squad (extrication only) and an ambulance. Others that run two FF ALS units run these alnog with an engine and ambulance, and wait till on scene to call for an extrication unit.

Either way, you get and ALS unit, supression unit and ambulance at the same time.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Ambulance first, then Rescue Engine.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

dazed and confused

Rescue Engine first, then ambulance.......

Rationale is that we can provide EMS off the Rescue Engine, but not extrication or real fire suppression off the ambo.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Engine 1 goes, and ems is called from another station. If we need more extrication equipment we'll call for engine 2, and mutual aid ambulance.

Forum Member

Medic Unit
    Rescue Engine
    Engine
    Safety Officer
    Medic Unit (if needed)
    only thing left ......da towah !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Are dispatch will tone out EMS frist then FD we will roll R-10 and E-12 if entrapment R-13

Early Adopter

Arrow One rig does it all -- almost

When local dispatch receives notification of an accident, they dispatch our career engine company (EMT-B staffing w/ extrication equipment) before transferring the 911 call to the regional ambulance authority.

If the caller, police or the engine reports that extrication will be required, volunteers are dispatched to provide additional manpower.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county's EMS service is contracted by another department, and they use our Firehouse as quarters for one squad. So, if they are in quarters, they usually make it out the door first. If they are across county on a transfer, then we make it first.

As far as our response, Engine rolls first (that has rescue equipment) then either 2nd engine or First-responder unit.

Forum Member

EMS is a third party agency. When dispatched, police, EMS, and fire sent simultaneously. Our closest station rolls the rescue there and the farther station brings the engine.

If it's a confirmed entrapment, the second rescue is rolled. If it sounds like a possible technical rescue(over the hill) or heavily entrapped (car wedged under something good, into a house) or just about anything involving a tractor trailer, the heavy rescue from staiton 1 is put on the road first regardless of location.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

IACOJ BOD

Police if non injury

Police and Ambulance if injury with no hazmat, fire risk or entrapment.

Then us. Or if the Ambo's need a hand.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Engine or truck with ambulance on all MVA's. We are currently rewriting our SOP's to provide a second fire unit for blocking. This will be all freeway incidents (i.e. washdowns, vehicle fire, etc.).

Forum Member

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Police if non injury

Police and Ambulance if injury with no hazmat, fire risk or entrapment.

Then us. Or if the Ambo's need a hand.
    Thats the smart way to do it. Unfortunatly here, PD is not permitted to make that determination (no medical training) so we roll on every MVC, even if the caller says no injuries. If the caller says accident, wreck, crash etc, we go. County policy
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

RLFD14....We operate exactly like your current department....Engine, then rescue, with a 3rd party private provider for the meat wagon. This was established by the chief before me, because we bought a new rescue style engine and placed the bulk of our extrication equipment on it.

The reasoning is that with a volunteer department, manpower can be sketchy at best on daytime calls. Therefore, the engine can handle an MVA alone if necessary (also carries some medical equipment and a spine board), in case we can only get one unit out, and still has fire suppression capability. Rescue comes second with more medical supplies , spine boards, lights, and a few tools.

We are spec'ing a new rescue that will have a ton more compartment space but will probably still leave the main extrication tools on the engine, because I like the setup and it's worked out well so far.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

We run our rescue and fire suppression at the same time. EMS and OSP/SO are automatically notified enroute without having to request them. Once the fire department arrives, we find out the severity of injuries and if EMS is not needed/required we cancel (which is very rare).

Permanently Removed

We run both fire suppression and rescue on our one engine. the EMS is dispatched from 4 surrounding companies. Usually our state police hear about the MVA(Motor Vehicle Accident) before we do and most of them are Rescue/Extrication Certified+(the guys in our area) because we cover 4 major highways and people do 70+ and the state police tell Central Communications wether extricaiton will be needed so anyway even if it's not needed we got it on the engine 24/7/365.
    Last edited by AsstEngineer292; 04-22-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Forum Member

Most of the departments close to where I live have rescue equipment on the pumper so they will dispatch an EMS unit and a number of pumpers depending on the nature of the MVC. In the city I think they dispatch a medic unit, rescue, pumper, and battalion chief. For example I pulled up on a MVC off duty about a week ago with an overturned vehicle with one person trapped and the first units in were an ambulance and 2 rescue pumpers.
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Forum Member

EMS is a parish run third service. We roll the Rescue from Central Station, then depending on manpower and the location of the MVA, an engine rolls from either Central Station (usually not at night unless the MVA is in Central's primary response area) or one of our 4 satellite stations. Often during the day, when we have 2 paid FFs on plus the Asst. Chief, the engine from Central will roll irregardless of the incident's location and the closest satelliete station engine stays in quarters.

Exception is the interstate, which has an engine roll east and westbound, as many times the callers have confused the direction of travel of the the MVA.

Forum Member

We run engine(s) first (primarily safety/blocking), Medic and/or Ambo close second, Rescue if needed. We also run both sides of the highway on interstate MVAs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Chief usually (9/10) are the first to arrive on scene. Our normal SOG states that the Ambulance is the first to roll. Then the Heavy Rescue, and/or Engine. At this point it's the Chiefs call. We usually have to be concerned with who can drive what though. Next it's the 2nd Ambulance and/or Mutual Aid.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

In my part of the county, EMS is a separate agency (as it should be) so EMS units are dispatched to MVCs right away, whether fire is sent or not.

On our side of the fence:

MVCs without report of confinement or entrapment would get our squad (F550 with basic rescue tools, basic medical equipment and CAFS skid unit, among other things) first, engine second and no rescue. However, without report of confinement or entrapment, only PD and EMS would usually be sent. The exception to this is when 1st-due EMS is tied up, in which case we'd generally be dispatched along with 2nd-due (or later-due) EMS.

MVCs reported with confinement or entrapment get our squad, then our engine, with a rescue dispatched simultaneously from an automatic mutual aid company nearby.

Forum Member

Ambulance is sent to any MVC with injuries by a seperate agency. if there is reported entrapment, heavy rescue rolls. if none, and fire department is still needed, engine rolls.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

MVC's are dispatched as medicals here, which warrant 1 engine (with 3), and the ambulance (2 more)

If there is entrapment, it gets upgraded as a fire run, coverage is called into the station which will staff the heavy rescue, and the second career engine rolls to the scene.

Forum Member

On all MVC's, we will send at least an engine and the rescue. We just sold our squad, so all of the extrication equipment is part of a two piece company, consisting of an engine (Engine 4) and a Suburban (Squad 1). We don't have a set response order. When the EMS crew gets on the rescue, they roll. When FF's get on the engine and squad, they roll.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information