Thread: Damn Cops!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Damn Cops!

Those damn cops stole the fun again!

Cop rescues 3 from Madison apartment fire
    Off-duty officer saw smoke, ran upstairs to evacuate residents

By Jenna M. McKnight, Daily Record

MADISON -- Two women and a 2-year-old girl escaped from their Main Street apartment Thursday morning after a fire broke out in a utility closet and rapidly spread to the kitchen, filling the apartment with thick, black smoke, authorities said.

An off-duty Madison police officer, Patrolman Carmen DeCaro, came to the tenants' rescue after spotting smoke billowing from a window of the second-floor apartment about 8:30 a.m., said Detective Sgt. Dennis Lam of the Madison Police Department.

"He saw heavy smoke coming out of the apartment," he said. "He ran upstairs and got the people out."

Authorities said the tenants were not injured but were unable to return to the apartment Thursday. They were assisted by the American Red Cross with temporary shelter.

Police said Main Street was closed between Waverly Place and Green Village Road for about an hour while authorities investigated the scene.

Several businesses near the apartment were evacuated.

The shop below the apartment, The Bagel Chateau, suffered serious water damage due to a burst water pipe and was closed Thursday.

Butch Weiner, owner of the bagel shop, said he doesn't know when it will be able to re-open.

"I have no idea," he said Thursday afternoon. "They're still here looking and examining. I won't have an idea for a while."

Weiner said he must first ensure the ceiling, which was soaked with water, is stable.

"I want to make sure nothing falls on anyone's head," he said. "My main concern is the safety of my customers and workers."

Weiner said he has an alarm in his shop that alerted his employees and customers to the fire.

The police and fire department were there within minutes, he said, and made sure the dozen or so people inside the bagel shop Thursday morning were evacuated.

"They truly were here within minutes," he said. "They were quick."

Lam said the fire was ruled accidental. The tenants were using the utility closet as a storage area, he said.

"Boxes, an artificial Christmas tree and clothing were all piled up against the boiler or water heater," he said. "We believe the pilot light ignited the items."

The fire was contained to the kitchen area, which sustained severe damage, said Capt. Ed Nunn of the Madison Fire Department.

Nunn said the apartment was filled with smoke when firefighters arrived about two minutes after getting the call.

"There was heavy, black smoke from floor to ceiling," he said. "There was a visible glow, a visible fire."

Nunn said firefighters had the fire under control in about 10 minutes.

Another apartment on the second floor of the building, along with two apartments on the third floor, sustained minor smoke damage. None of the tenants in those apartments was displaced, Nunn said.

Nunn said the firefighters did a great job of putting out the blaze.

"This could have been much, much worse," Nunn said. "We got there really quick and knocked the fire out."

In addition to Madison ambulance company and police and fire departments, the Florham Park fire department and Chatham Borough police department responded.

Forum Member

Those darn thunder thieves!

In seriousness, I'm sure not territorial; whoever can save the life should do it, if FD hasn't arrived. That said, I worry a lot about cops and civilians dashing into house fires with no protection. I don't think they fully appreciate what danger they are in, or how difficult attempting a rescue can be. "Heavy black smoke" and "me in my PJ's" don't go together.

Glad it worked out.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Glad it all worked out. Good job officer.

Forum Member

On a side note,
    "They truly were here within minutes," he said. "They were quick."
    That's a line we don't hear enough from John Q Public.

Good job to the man for helping people out.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

the madison FD guys are all close friends of mine and i went to high school with the officer. it was a great job all around. good stop.

Forum Member

Bravo!

(My first reaction to seeing the thread title was...Uh-Oh..George is going to FLIP!...Oh..it is George...LOL)
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto, Good Job!

And EastKY,

You do know about the Copoligical Indicators right?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

In a word, yep.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

The officer should be commended for his bravery and action!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The officer did his job, and did it good and shood be commended

Forum Member

bravo officer

doesnt matter how they get out, or who helps them out. as long as they are safe!

Thats great that nobody was killed but I dont go around arresting people so i dont think cops should go into fires because sometimes it doesnt play out like in your head and you end up with another victim. but like i said before im glad he didnt get hurt.
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Congrats to the officer!!

Glad to see no one was baited by George......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Arrow ditto Stayback.....

I was almost.........glad no one got hurt.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Permanently Removed

Default Yo...

No biggie. The cops helped save the people. Life is
    #1 regardless of the uniform. Its all good.

Thread Information