Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Prevention Narratives

I was wondering what kind of things people are requesting for fire prvention grants?

I have not written this grant before and want to get a start on the 05 one. Anyone willing to send their sucessful narratives please email them to Bunkersnboots@aol.com

Thanks Barb

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen smoke houses, fire prevention program items (hats, stickers, coloring books, etc), robot dogs, sparky costumes, vehicles (no vehicles I know of funded...) and other various ideas (including computers, projectors, etc.).

I have had two apps. funded that included the materials (stickers and hats, pencils and coloring books) along with a FP Officer for 10 hrs a week to do inspections in homes and walk-thrus along with school programs. They were funded. Man hours, too. We had asked for the detectors and batteries for him to do the inspections. All was funded.

Start polling your neighboring depts. on what their fire prevention programs entail...I always ask at conferences and workshops and have gotten some of the coolest ideas just from other depts.

Forum Member

We just got the 10 questions on a Fire Safety House.

It took a couple tries, but it looks like we will be getting this fire prevention tool.

We wrote our own narrative. Could share it later if you desire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wildland fire prevention

Do you know if this grant will help fund a wildland fire prevention program for departments out West?

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Prevention grant can be used for any type of fire prevention program and/or materials for fire prevention.

Higher priority goes to programs that target the three highest at risk groups: Children under 14, the elderly and firefighters (per their guidelines in previous years). I'd recommend reading last year's guidelines, just to give you a starting place for this year (Fall). You can also contact FDs that were funded for their program info.

It's not as restrictive of a program (as AFG). A non-profit can apply or an agency such as the State Fire Marshal's office, or a county Fire Marshal. Good Luck!
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 04-29-2005 at 06:56 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did FP grant for a demonstration project on:

1.) Retrofit installation of residential sprinkler systems in existing single family rural homes

2.) Installation of "networked" smoke detectors with telephone dialer to call local 911 center. Also for existing single family rural homes.

Res. sprinkler systems unknown outside of metro areas. Early detection/supression of fire essential in rural homes. Anywhere actually/of course but in rural area the low housing density means there is no early detection and long response time by FD. Thus sprinklers/detectors more important in rural area than in cities.

Waiting to hear.

Some of the stuff that has been funded under FP just makes me shake my head in wonder. Lack of applicants for available funds? Would people spend their own $ on some of this touchy feely stuff that will accomplish nothing? Oh well it's only federal $, just print more.

Forum Member

Default Cuts in funding midway

We submitted a good Fire Prevention grant request, got the 10 questions, said yes... Got excited...

Then about a week/10 days later comes the email from the Program Office telling us they are funding only 50% or the requested amount and do we still want the money? Huh?

I mean how can a fire dept with limited budget buy a smoke house (for example) when they suddenly decide to give you only 50% of the funds?

I called the Program Office at FEMA and got a terse "If you don't want the funds we will give them to someone who does."

Jeez.

Thread Information