Default Fire Darwin Award Possibilities

What are some of the calls you have been on that would qualify for a Fire Darwin Award(People who do stupid things).

We were dispatched for a person who could see something burning from her door. I am thinking that it is a grass or trash fire. Upon arrival it was the door on the trailer that was on fire. During the investigation of the fire, we could not find the fire source. There was no electrical near the origin. It started mid way up on the door frame. I spoke with the owner and she stated that see was burning a incense stick. She wedged the stick into the door frame then lit it. It burned right into the door frame and caught it on fire.

Another one that comes to mind, we were dispatched to a fire under a trailer. After investigating the fire, the owner admitted to putting gas on the ant piles then burning them. Well the last mound he burned was under the trailer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our 'burning door' call was caused by the 62 y/o male occupant dating a 35 y/o married co-worker.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EFD840
    Our 'burning door' call was caused by the 62 y/o male occupant dating a 35 y/o married co-worker.
    YEA BABY!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

My department serves a community with a large (44,000 students)public university. We have been to more than one apartment fire under circumstances similar to the following:

Student is at home working on a vehicle and the "best" place to clean engine parts (usually with gasoline or some other flammable solvent) is the kitchen sink. Things go well until clean-up time when residue is washed down the sink AND THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL IS TURNED ON!

Forum Member

We had a lady one night in the middle of a snow storm say that she saw Flames coming from a school. She also stated that the flames would get big then small. Well when the fire department got there, of course there were no flames coming from the scool. So the FD went to the lady's house and asked her some questions. Upon asking her where she saw they flames, she led the firefighters into a back room that faced the school and showed them. The window that she was looking at had a pretty nice sized crack in it. So when the sun hit the snow then reflected into her window, when you look at the school at a certain angle it actually did look like flames were coming from the school!

Forum Member

Lady called 911 one time because she could see the neigbors roof on fire from her bathroom window. We arrived on scene and could not find anything for the life of us. Finally contacted the caller, who was lying in her bathtub looking out the window when she called. Seems the streetlight was shining through the window and the tree branches blowing in the wind made it look like flames. But the woman never actually got out of the tub to take a closer look.

MembersZone Subscriber

About 10 years ago I was working in a very pricy part of Marin County California, just north of San Francisco and we got dispatched for a gas leak in a home during some stormy weather. I knock on the door and asked the lady what the problem was. She tells me she keeps smelling gas in her kitchen and I asked her to show me where she smelled the gas.
    We walk in and she gives a general area and I smell nothing and say there is no gas smell I can detect. She then tells me to come over to the refrigerator because it gets really strong when you open the fridge door! I looked at her and said it was okay, but she needs to clean her fridge out to get rid of the smell. She asked again why gas was leaking from her fridge, I finally told her flat out it was bad food, her fridge was electric and does not use gas!
    Here's your SIGN!!!!!!
    And, she was not a blonde......
    Jason S. - SFFD
    Local 798

Forum Member

Structure fire. Early morning, about 0445. Fully involved older mobile home on arrival. Real pain in the arse because the entire trailer is surrounded by large round hay bales for insulation, and they are all going, too. High winds complicate everything. Too involved to do a search but there are vehicles so we assume the worst. Then, a van comes up the driveway with frantic occupants returning from their paper route. Turns out the trailer was empty. Investigation reveals:
    • Occupants were out on paper delivery route when fire started.
    • Occupants decided that they did not want to insert the advertisement circulars that morning.
    • Occupants decided to burn the circulars.
    • Occupants made a burn pile well away from the structure.
    • Burn pile was directly upwind of the trailer.
    • Wind blew flaming papers into the hay bales and fanned them.
    • Duh
    Last edited by RLFD14; 04-24-2005 at 03:27 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

How about the pair that built a fire under the house to thaw out the frozen pipes! How did that turn out............Not to Good!
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

My favorite was a real good structure fire at the rear of the house.

Time: 3 p.m.

Involved: 1st and 2nd floor porches

Extension: Through the attic window

Occupants : Not home

Cause : Occupant decided that he wanted to save the 1/2 burned log that WAS in the fireplace so he put it in a cardboard box on the back porch/1st floor and then went out.He thought he would finish burning the log when he got home.I told him he was all set.

Here's your sign.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Here's a good one from a few years ago...

Mid July, Mom & Dad are on a weekend getaway and left the kids home with a babysitter.

During the afternoon when the temperature was about oh 92 degrees or so, the kids and the babysitter decide it would be fun to make some Jiffy Pop popcorn in the fireplace.

So they're popping their popcorn over a nice little fire while enjoying the central air conditioning when one of the neighbors comes beating on the front door.

Brothers and sisters, let me tell ya, nothing beats the summertime fun of an attic fire in 92 degree weather!

And to add to our enjoyment, it even had that blown-in cellulous insulation!

Good times, good times...
    Last edited by WTFD10; 04-24-2005 at 08:06 PM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

We had a real winner a couple of years ago. A man was using his barbque on the balcony of his apartment. When he finished he put the hot coals in his coal box located in the corner of his wood balcony. The only problem was the coal box was cardboard. Duh!

Forum Member

One:
    House fully involved upon arrival. It was in broad daylight, and we wondered what had got the fire going so well without anyone noticed. Well, apparently, the owner's hot water tank had gone out, and he wanted to take a warm shower. So he rigs a blowtorch onto the pipe leading up into the shower in the basement..

He got in, took a cold shower, and got out to find that the house was filling up with smoke. So he opens the basement door and is driven back by the extreme heat. He then gets on the phone, calls 911 and they ask him waht his emergency is, he tells them his house is on fire. They go 'Where are you located?'. He responds 'I'm in the living room!'. They finally get him to give his address and then he evacuates. We arrive 5 minutes after the call to find the attic and basements both fully involved with fire through the roof.... He stated, on the news, that he 'just didn't know how the fire could have started.'

The real kicker: He was a volunteer firefighter from another department living in a temporary house!

Runner Up:
    Kitchen fire. First in engine arrives and puts a quick wack on it while it was still located around the stove and adjacent cabinetry. The woman admitted to 'drying her wet pan on the stove'....

How embarassing..
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Originally posted by SpartanGuy
    One:
    House fully involved upon arrival. It was in broad daylight, and we wondered what had got the fire going so well without anyone noticed. Well, apparently, the owner's hot water tank had gone out, and he wanted to take a warm shower. So he rigs a blowtorch onto the pipe leading up into the shower in the basement..

He got in, took a cold shower, and got out to find that the house was filling up with smoke. So he opens the basement door and is driven back by the extreme heat. He then gets on the phone, calls 911 and they ask him waht his emergency is, he tells them his house is on fire. They go 'Where are you located?'. He responds 'I'm in the living room!'. They finally get him to give his address and then he evacuates. We arrive 5 minutes after the call to find the attic and basements both fully involved with fire through the roof.... He stated, on the news, that he 'just didn't know how the fire could have started.'

The real kicker: He was a volunteer firefighter from another department living in a temporary house!

I think we have a winner.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Call comes in about 10 pm, as difficulty breathing. FireAlarm to
    Eng 1, “Caller states he can’t breath.” In route to call: “Eng. 1 to FireAlarm dispatch Eng 2 to investigate heavy smoke in area of …” “Eng. 1 to FireAlarm be advise this not a medical call. We have a single story wood fame with smoke and fire showing.”

Occupant tells us he tried to call 911 but every time he ran back into the house he couldn’t breath.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well there was the time when we had the hurricanes here in Florida. We get called to a residential structure fire. Arrived on scene and homeowner, advised us that sparks came out of her outlet near the dryer. We pull out the thermal imager and find nothing, so I walk to the other end of this house with one of my partners to check around the house.

We turn on one side of the house, start to come back and something catches our eye. So we turn around and go back to this room. We walk in and there are pictures all over the walls of this lady. Come to find out, the homeowner of this $400,000 house is a centerfold. All these pictures on the walls was of her posing in Penthouse.

Needless to say, she was wearing something skimpy when we got there, leave it to your imaginations. It was a wonderful call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Good ideas...

We got called out on a structure fire about nine years ago where upon arrival smoke was showing from an upstairs bedroom. We got the fire knocked down pretty quick, limiting most of the damage to that bedroom. During the overhaul, the mattress was thrown outside via a sliding glass door.
    We returned later that night to find the house fully involved. It ended up being almost a total loss. Despite the owner being told why the mattress was thrown outside (smoldering embers and the fact it was burnt, wet, and useless), he decided to put it back in the house because "He didn't want to just leave it outside." Well, it rekindled and he doesn't have a house anymore, but at least he didn't have to worry about the mattress sitting outside! By the way the original fire was set by an unattended cigarette of his.

The runner up would have to be the lady whose car was over-heating and decided that putting oil in the radiator would solve the problem. Not a good idea. A burnt hand and a torched car.

Oh well,
    KC
    "PHILIPPEANS 4:13"

We got called for a structure fire about 2300 hours. Upon dispatch we are told that its a mobile home with a child inside. When we pull up the mobile in rippin but we are able to make entry to do a search but can't find anything. yadda, yadda, yadda... After the fire is out we are told by the homeowner that she started the fire trying to burn the shadows in her room with a candle. The "child" that was suppose to be trapped then came him, she was in her 20s and stated to the police that she was down giving her boyfriend oral sex!!
    Fate determines who comes into our lives, our attitude and actions determine who stays.

"Firefighters are ALWAYS in heat!!"

Forum Member

Came up to find a Jeep Wagoneer fully involved on the shoulder of I-95. We proceed to put it out while the state police grill the driver. Seems that he was driving up the highway and one of the wheels came off. Since he was between exits, he puts the thing into 4WD and keeps going.

MembersZone Subscriber

just yesterday we were toned for a residential structure fire. Dispatcher said caller stated an electrical outlet and wall in her home were on fire. When told to evacuate by the dispatcher, the caller said "no, i don't need to, its not that bad in here yet."

IDIOT!!!!!
    Isn't the point to get out BEFORE it gets too bad?

I also love the callers who tell us they have emergency (fire or medical), but "please don't use the siren when you respond because the neighborhood has a noise ordinance!"
    PAJ

IACOJ Rehab Sector

Thread Information