MembersZone Subscriber

Question Roof Ops., harnesses and tying off...

We are a career department in Connecticut (50,000+) We have various belts (Class I,II) that we can use during roof/aerial operations. We operate 2 straight sticks. The firefighter's assigned to the trucks wear/utilize the Gemtor Class II personal harnesses. We also have the older Class I harnesses and the old lineman's belts with the snap clips and length of cable for tying off. What are your sop's, ideas, thoughts on utilizing the various harnesses and methods for tying off during roof ops. (ie. rope, tethers, CABLE) if at all???
    Last edited by Salman1; 04-23-2005 at 09:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can't believe there is NO interest in this...

I can't believe there is absolutely no interest in this subject whatsoever. Must be more important to be replying to most ridiculous calls, best dispatch, leather helmet painting question's etc...sheesh!

dazed and confused

There's interest... it's just a frequently discussed topic. I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that it has been discussed a lot.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sea...der=descending

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sea...der=descending
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Tying Off? No thanks!

I think the last thing in the world I would want, while operating on a (suspected or soon-to-be) IDLH roof is to be tied off. I can appreciate the fact that it could possibly prevent traumatic falls, I am also convinced it would be more of a hinderence, and maybe even possibly hazardous-

For example, while performing vertical ventilation, one FF operates the chain or circular saw, and the other member watches his back, be being behind him and keeping in physical contact to ensure the saw operators safety. You tap the operator on the shoulder when you want him to stop the saw. A good "watch" man should negate the need for fall protection.

Additionally......What happens if the poop hits the fan, and you need to make for the secondary means of egress? Will the fall protection have a big enough tag line to allow access to the second egress? If so, wouldnt this void out the protection to begin with, by allowing enough line for a fall to occur? Proponents may argue that "well, you can unhook from the line" if you need to run. Sorry, I dont buy that one. If you need to run, you usually need to do it right then and there. I for one dont want to take the time, to have to unhook from a fall protection system while I am pooping my pants because the roof just went in and I cant get to my primary means of egress (WHILE having on bulky structural FF's gloves.)

Then there are other considerations.....Entanglement issues with SCBA......Cutting with the saw......the list goes on.

A noble idea, but IMO would not work. (But I bet the Safety Nazi's are foaming at the mouth over this!)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with you on all points. I don't like the fact that if the roof fails and you do go for a ride down through vs. off the roof, I'd rather take my chances of going all the way through vs. being dangled at the end of a tether. That you can cut through...cable you can't. I remember seeing a video of a LA City firefighter (I believe) during roof ops on a flat commercial roof. Walked toward the edge and "poof" falls right through and fire vents where he went through. Luckily, he was uninjured or minimally and fell completely through. Had he been tied off, I seriously think he would have been killed or severely burned being stuck in that hole. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't see too many experienced city departments' firefighters that tie off minimally if at all except for tower ladder ops. More thoughts??? Anyone???

Thread Information