Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default USFA Initiates Second Phase of Study of Emergency Vehicle Warning

Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, announced today the United States Fire Administration (USFA), has started a follow-on study of Emergency Warning Lighting Systems with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) that will continue the work of the original research project initiated in 2003. This second phase of the project will continue to research how to effectively mitigate the disorientation of motorists caused by the day and nighttime use of emergency warning lights, through design, technology, and operating practices.

"An unacceptable number of firefighters and other emergency responders have died in the line of duty from vehicle crashes and being struck by vehicles while they are operating at emergencies," said Brown. "This partnership underscores the commitment of President Bush and Secretary Chertoff to protect this nation's emergency responders."

The second phase of this effort will include issues of lighting color and
    emergency vehicle visibility. This issue of color will include the red and
    white color lighting traditionally used by the fire service and EMS, but
    will also include the use of other colors such as yellow typically used for construction and tow vehicle warning, as well as blue and other colors. The issue of lighting and vehicle visibility will also be studied to include how warning lights work with retro-reflective striping, chevrons, high-visibility paint colors, and so on.

"I am pleased the USFA is continuing its work with the SAE to study impacts of emergency lighting on the safety of firefighters responding to or returning from emergencies, as well as those men and women operating on the nation's roadways," said R. David Paulison, U.S. Fire Administrator. "This partnership effort also supports the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Firefighter Life Safety Initiative to further prevent on-duty firefighter fatalities."

All emergency lighting systems will be examined in this study - including
    incandescent, halogen, strobe, and light-emitting diode (LED) systems.
    Research findings from this project will be shared with national-level
    consensus standards organizations such as the National Fire Protection
    Association (NFPA) and others in the development of relevant/related
    standards. The SAE and their Emergency Warning Lighting and Devices
    Standards Committee may use the findings in the development of their own standards.

"SAE is proud to continue this important research in support of the safety of firefighters and other emergency responders," said SAE President J.E. "Ted" Robertson. "This project emphasizes SAE's long-term commitment to enhancing vehicle and roadway safety through local, national, and international research and awareness programs."

Further information about this research initiative as well as other USFA
    emergency vehicle project efforts may be found on the USFA Web site at:
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/research/safety/vehicle.shtm.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Maybe if people slowed down and removed thier heads there @sses, we wouldn't be so many accidents!

How many times have we been screaming, lights, sirens, whaling on teh horn, and people in front don't see us. I especially notice this in teh Ambulance
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Originally posted by sbfdco1
    Maybe if people slowed down and removed thier heads there @sses, we wouldn't be so many accidents!

How many times have we been screaming, lights, sirens, whaling on teh horn, and people in front don't see us. I especially notice this in teh Ambulance
    That is a problem, but I think this study has more too do with visability "on scene". Ill be very interested to see the results. I do hope they come up with something that departments will use, and not something like glow in the dark rigs or all amber lights
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Originally posted by sbfdco1
    When is somebody gonna autorize a study on why so many people have their heads up their @sses these days?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Originally posted by dmleblanc

When is somebody gonna autorize a study on why so many people have their heads up their @sses these days?
    I'm guessing the people who authorize studies have their heads up their @sses.

Hopefully something good will come out of this....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

I hope some standards are put together regarding shedding lights not needed on scene. Turn off the bumper and low level strobes, turn off the headlights, turn off anything that goes beyond getting attention and gets into the realm of blinding. It's great that motorists can see all those pretty lights, but not so great that they can't see ME or other not-so-well-lighted vehicles because of all those lights.

During my recent trip to California I noted that CHP squads seem to shed all lights except for the car's stock hazard flashers unless actually parked in a traffic lane. Reduces the rubbernecking and panic-slowing. Pretty smart move.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 04-22-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Hopefully something good will come out of this....
    Yep...People will hopefully get their heads out of their *****e$....
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

LMAO Don't hold your breath, this a government study after all. What are the chances that the study concludes that the warning package we have are actually as good as it gets, and the real problem is that too many people have their heads up their *****es? Now that would be funny stuff. It is a real ****er when people don't act like they care what's going on around them.

Thread Information