Default Need a little HELP!!

I have a Question for your inciteful minds
    Im looking at Joining a Career fire Dept in which i would be required to be a paramedic....but in order to get higher on there list i am going into the Military now heres where i would need your guys help

Ive narrowed my choices down to the Air Force or Navy
    and was wondering if i should pursue Medical training or firefighter training, im leaning more toward the medical training because according to the recruiters it would put me at a federally certified paramedic, I am planning on getting my FF1&2 which i am already trained up too but due to the fact im only 17 i have to wait to get certified, so do you guys think this amount of FF training is Sufficient or should i pursue Firefighter training?

Just so you guys know i wont follow your guys word to the teeth but i am looking for suggestions and any tips on getting hired would help me out alot
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Forum Member

Congradulations on your decision to join the military. One of my fire fighters has enlisted in the Air Force, and will be shipping out soon. He wanted to be a fire fighter in the AF, but has been told that they don't need any right now, so he had to choose a different proffesion. He was disappointed but found out from his recruiter that he is eligible for college education, paid by uncle sam. So now, even though he can't be an AF fire fighter, he will be going to college for fire sciences, and he says a full fire academy ciriculum. I don't know about the Navy, but it may be good to check with your recruiters to see what's availible to you. Medical, or fire, try to get it in writing. He didn't find out he couldn't pick what he wanted untill after he enlisted. He would have joined anyway, but like you, may have gone into a different branch if the choices were better.

Good luck, and thank you.

Tony

Permanently Removed

Default Me...

Here is my 2 cents...

#1. Between the two- Air Force. They led the pack when it
    comes to education int the Armed Forces! Look who runs the
    executive activities, the guys in the Air Force uniform and
    they always have a degree.

#2. I would focus on the medical field because you will then
    be in demand. Firefighters and even FF/PM are not in a major
    demand right now because of the large candidate pool.
    Get all of the medical training you can.

#3. Forget the fire stuff right now. WHAT? It will always
    be there. Yup, you can squirt water any time, but military
    Firefighters are a "dime a dozen".

Go Air Force, get a degree(s), get all the medical training
    you can and then pass me up the fire department ladder.
    (No joke!)

Hope that helps!

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-22-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks for the input guys thats what i was wanting to hear,and about the AF FF the Air force Recruiter said there was a waiting list to get on that program, so i think ill stick with the medical side of the training and ill probably go for a fire science degree since like Rossco said uncle sam will be paying for it

Its like i said im just trying to get ahead of the competition so i can get higher up on list my goal is to be in the top 3.
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Thread Information