Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Academies

Default Fire Academies

In my opinion Fire Academies are over-rated, Im joining the military to get medical training which will put me at a federally certified Paramedic and while in the military i plan on getting a fire science degree Free of Charge Compliments of Uncle Sam

This just seems to be the most logical plan ive been able to put together, I mean sure i could get into a 4-Year college and rack up a nice bill but the way im choosing ill be getting paid in Experience and A nice paycheck from uncle sam, so if youre seriously planning on becoming a Career FF i would seriosly look into the Navy or AF
    Rest In Peace
    Anndee Huber-A tragedy which could have been prevented!
    Ban Alcohol in the Firehouse!

Default Re: Fire Academies

Originally posted by Engine1401CFD
    In my opinion Fire Academies are over-rated, Im joining the military to get medical training which will put me at a federally certified Paramedic and while in the military i plan on getting a fire science degree Free of Charge Compliments of Uncle Sam

This just seems to be the most logical plan ive been able to put together, I mean sure i could get into a 4-Year college and rack up a nice bill but the way im choosing ill be getting paid in Experience and A nice paycheck from uncle sam, so if youre seriously planning on becoming a Career FF i would seriosly look into the Navy or AF
    I'm pretty sure this belongs down in the college thread..

But don't think that your military "training" is going to equate into state certifications. States like Vermont are just barely starting to get to "universal" acceptance for certifications.

The boys on base here can't leave the base with their ambulance. ANG "standards" don't meet up with state standards, so a outside agency has to transport. Any of the guys that want to do EMS in Vermont, even though they have federal training, have to get VT certifications too.

AF or Navy is probably not the route for the average person who wants to go into the fire service. You're signing a good portion of your life away when you go that route, especially if they decide that they "need" you at the end of your contract.

Plus, military firefighting positions are hard to find, especially when they are going to civilians more often then not even though it is on a military base.

Just some insight for you

Thread Information