Forum Member

Default Challenges Part Duex (2)

What is the greatest OPERATIONAL challenge you department faces?
    Staffing? Training? Apparatus replacement? Safety? Political interference? Etc. Etc.??????????

Probably our greatest challenge is the contunial training process of our new members. We have a lot of new people and getting them up to speed has not been an easy task. Seems like everytime we get them trained, we lose some and then get a bunch of new folks, and start over.

MembersZone Subscriber

Easily Staffing.

Our resort community but has a transient population with a fixed number of barely 200. We can see 4000 guests and weekend "cottagers" (said with tongue in cheek, cause a million dollar vacation home is not a "cottage"), but not many people to pull volunteers from.

We have a good core of 15 long term members, and we fill up seasonally with another 5-7 seasonal employees who have previous training and experience, and try to round it out with a couple of potential long-termers to bring our roster to 25. That doesn't happen often though.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Uhhh...all of the above.

Staffing is a BIG thing. We would definitely benefit from a few more active, running members. We need more qualified drivers and more qualified entry people...when I say "more qualified" I don't mean our current personnel isn't adequately trained. I actually mean MORE...we need more drivers and entry people.

As far as apparatus replacement...we need to replace an engine, but without adequate staffing, it's difficult to raise funds. We've got the people to run our calls, but the same few people do ALL the calls, ALL the fundraising, ALL the administrative, ALL the PR, ALL the public education...it's hard to ask current volunteers to do more than they do now.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

It used to be staffing, but we have been very fortunate lately to have a number of new members! I woould say that training all of these new members is our biggest challenge.

Second would be safety, seems a lot of our people are slack on the proper PPE at ALL TIMES! No PPE at wrecks, etc.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

We need a personnel transport vehicle (Suburban), and a small aerial. We could also benefit from an ATV and snowmobile. Sadly, the municipality won't pay the insurance to increase our fleet so we can't get these things even if they were donated to us outright.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 04-27-2005 at 07:58 AM.

Forum Member

Political interference and finances.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Bump part duex

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

WOW ...........it centers around staffing ........but not about quantity..........more quality.......... and availibilty. Thats for sure.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Keep them coming guys .. thanks for bumping Dave.

Forum Member

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    Keep them coming guys .. thanks for bumping Dave.
    No problem Good stuff, I was surprised to find them on the second page...

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Political interference and finances. Kansas opted not to send cities their due tax monies in the past year to shore up their own finances. Problem is the city has been in a pinch ever since. Elections the first of this month produced a council that will be a pain to work with.

TF

MembersZone Subscriber

QUALITY of PERSONNEL!!!!

My department has nice new shiny apparatus, but with no one to operate or staff them, why have it all. I have three probies assigned to me currently and the quality is not there. I feel more like a babysitter rather than a mentor. I have come to the conclusion that these people want nothing more than the pay and benefits. Tradition, Pride, Dedication, and Service is something they have no understanding of. We do our best to "brand" our new people with these qualities, but it is becoming more and more difficult each year. Pride and Ownership is slipping away and we cannot allow that to happen. Does this describe every new firefighter? No, it does not. However, I believe it is more present than ever before. This effects all aspects of operations including safety and training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Would like

I would like to see what some of you have come up with to orient new members to the department, Anything online that you are using or checkoffs or checklists for new members that you have them following.

?

Definately our biggest problem is quality also a membership of 40-45 but only 10 that can complete the job.
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I am also definitely interested in this new member orientation program since I am in the begining of writing one.

One of our biggest challenges is financial. We have alot of things that we would like to do, but do not always have the funds.

Forum Member

Getting folks out for the non-emergency stuff.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

For those asking about new hire/member orientation info..Here is what my dept (combo dept-everyone does the same). does:
    1. After new hire completes medical, gear issue and other related paperwork, general orientation is held and covers such items as command structure, tour of facilities, who to call for HR issues, receives copy of SOP's, meets all officers and is assigned a station and an officer.

2. Meets with assigned officer and presents his/her probationary book to the officer. Book contains skill verification checklist and drills which must be completed within 6 months. He/she must be FFI at time of orientation. Skill verification is done to make sure these people didn't sleep through class. New hire also must complete 48 hours of ride time with the assigned officer.

3. Upon completion of skills and drills, written test on SOP's and practical test on skills is given. If he/she passes, person is now structurally (SCBA) qualified. Helmet color changes, but person cannot work shifts until after 6 months, but still on probation for 12 months.

Process is fairly new and so far is working. But it is stressed that the assigned officer is not there to do the skills for the new people. They have to be accountable for themselves. What works for us may not work for anybody else, so whatever process is used, it must fit your department and be successful!

Thread Information