Forum Member

Default Challenges ....... Part 3

What is the greatest FIRE RESPONSE challenege your department faces???
    What type of building or situation is it? Why does it pose a challange to your manpower and resources?

For us, it would be the refinary. Though it has a plentiful water supply and a small trained fire brigade (they have other jobs, the brigade is not fire dedicated), the potential situations we may have to face their are daunting, given the limited anmount of training time we can dedicate to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Technical Rescues.

As mentioned, we are a small VFD with only 15 fully trained members, and we receive a significant amount of Swiftwater, High-Angle, and Backcountry Rescue calls. Local SAR does try, but they are stretched with manpower as well, especially in the summer, when call volume is highest. We usually have to rely on each other to combine for a good response in our area.

We also have a lot of 4-5 storey condo-hotels, and they can be imposing structures. They are all well sprinklered and monitored though (with alarms and security patrol), so the occurrence of large fires is almost non-existent. We are also awaiting the arrival of our first aerial (65' ALF Telesquirt) in June or July. That should help significantly improve our capabilities in that area.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Re: Challenges ....... Part 3

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    Though it has a plentiful water supply and a small trained fire brigade (they have other jobs, the brigade is not fire dedicated), the potential situations we may have to face their are daunting, given the limited anmount of training time we can dedicate to it.
    That's our situation with our power plant. Power plant has all kinds of hazards, from confined spaces to haz-mat.

Also, we have 3 schools in our first-due, and some pretty tough terrain that can make things interesting (ATV accidents, brush fires etc.).
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

That's an easy one for us. We have mainly SFD's with a few small furniture factories and 3 small stores until recently we had a 500,000 SF warehouse built in our community. The warehouse is for boxed furniture and it's stacked VERY high in the WH, good news is the building is sprinkled throughout. Bad thing is that they are tax exempt and we get no additional money on our tax base. More to protect with no money to support the protection.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

We have a semi-major airport partially in our district and are one of several departments assigned on the initial response to a downed aircraft. One of our pumpers carries on-board foam, but that is the extent of our ARFF capability. We are not at all ready for a crash.

Forum Member

We have a 6 storie, fully enclosed residential hi-rise building with no sprinklers. It has CBC exterior walls with wood floors and interior walls. It has standpipes in the the stairwells (one each end) but the hallway is almost 300', so our normal hose pack set up is too short. There is limited aerial access. And the best part, its full of elderly folks

We are a paid department as our the mutal aid companies, so staffing isnt a big issue. Water suppy is fine, apparatus resources plenty. But with the construction of the building, the limited aerial access, no sprinklers and the limited mobility of the residents, the place is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Bump

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

I was just sitting here wondering if this is something we should be posting on here.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default you can only do so much..............

anything technical or hazmat will warrant a M/A call. We can handle about any fire, minus an overturned tanker.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I was just sitting here wondering if this is something we should be posting on here.........
    Why do you see a problem with departments talking about target hazards they have recognized in their area? Just curious

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

I posted this for just that reason Dave... to make folks think about the "worst case" in thier first due district. I am a beleiver in training primarily for the bread and butter responses, but you still have to be able to focus on your biggest hazard and think about now and then.

Forum Member

Originally posted by LaFireEducator
    I posted this for just that reason Dave... to make folks think about the "worst case" in thier first due district. I am a beleiver in training primarily for the bread and butter responses, but you still have to be able to focus on your biggest hazard and think about now and then.
    Exactly, so would this be a case of "if you ignor the problem it will go away"? Or is it some deep, dark secret you dont want anyone to know about? I just dont see an issue with talking about it. Perhaps I've missed something...

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

My thoughts were more towards a security-type issue. I know it can be a stretch and you can "what-if" things to death, but we all know that firefighters aren't the only people on this website. I guess I'm just not real sure I would want to tell the whole world what the biggest fire-response challenge in my area is.

Who's to say that we won't have some terrorist on this site reading this stuff and saying, "Oh, I see that XYZ FD says they can't handle Situation X in their district, so we could really botch things up and cause some problems for everyone"

Believe me, I'm not too proud to say that we are not perfect and there are certain situations that we will definitely be calling Mutual Aid for because we are not equipped to handle them or will need massive amounts of help or whatever.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

My thoughts were more towards a security-type issue. I know it can be a stretch and you can "what-if" things to death, but we all know that firefighters aren't the only people on this website. I guess I'm just not real sure I would want to tell the whole world what the biggest fire-response challenge in my area is.

Who's to say that we won't have some terrorist on this site reading this stuff and saying, "Oh, I see that XYZ FD says they can't handle Situation X in their district, so we could really botch things up and cause some problems for everyone"

Believe me, I'm not too proud to say that we are not perfect and there are certain situations that we will definitely be calling Mutual Aid for because we are not equipped to handle them or will need massive amounts of help or whatever.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Didnt think about it, but I can see your point. And for what its worth, I would have thought about a response if I didnt trust the thread starter. And I would hope that "they" dont know about these forums, but I guess we should think they do and watch what we say.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983

Thanks for clearing that up. Didnt think about it, but I can see your point. And for what its worth, I would have thought about a response if I didnt trust the thread starter. And I would hope that "they" dont know about these forums, but I guess we should think they do and watch what we say.
    Not a problem. And I also had to do a double-take to see who started the thread........ That's why my initial response was so pleasant!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Not a problem. And I also had to do a double-take to see who started the thread........ That's why my initial response was so pleasant!!

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Large government buildings with many fire prone, yet classified/secure rooms/areas.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information