MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Actress blames US for 9/11

My husband says I should let this go, that this woman is just seeking attention, but I still think people need to be aware of what she said. It's in the NY Daily News today. If you do a search, she has several fan mail sites in case anyone wants to e-mail her.
    ------------------------------------------------

By MAGGIE HABERMAN
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Maggie Gyllenhaal

Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal, star of a new flick about the aftermath of 9/11, believes the United States "is responsible in some way" for the devastating terror attacks.
    Gyllenhaal, 27, made the comments at the Tribeca Film Festival, where her new movie "The Great New Wonderful" - which has a plot centered on the destruction of the World Trade Center - premiered Friday.

"I think what's good about the movie is that it deals with 9/11 in such a subtle, open way that I think it allows it to be more complicated than just, 'Oh, look at these poor New Yorkers and how hard it was for them,'" Gyllenhaal told the NY1 cable channel.

"Because I think America has done reprehensible things and is responsible in some way and so I think the delicacy with which it's dealt allows that to sort of creep in," she added.

A lower East Side native, Gyllenhaal's new film focuses on a handful of New Yorkers coping with their pain about a year after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror strike.

The 27-year-old vaulted to stardom after appearing in "Secretary" as a mousy assistant.

The film festival where Gyllenhaal spoke was launched by actor Robert De Niro in 2002 as a way to help scarred lower Manhattan rebound.

Originally published on April 24, 2005

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I'm with you on this one Brenda. Let this young lady go live in a mud hut or shack in some other country for a while.

I bet her fellow New Yorkers justy love this lady.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

"Rocketed to stardom"...? Who the hell is Maggie Gyllenhall? (spelling) And what the hell movie was "secretary"?

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Boycott this chick's flicks!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

former FH.com member

Originally posted by PuffyNPFD
    Boycott this chick's flicks!!!
    LOL, I guess we have been unknowingly doing this all along since nobodys even heard of her!

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Her brother is Jake Gyllenhaal, he is the latest "Johnny Come Lately" in Hollywood, she is just starting out.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

I've seen 'Secretary'.

You could drill a hole in your head. Pour in battery acid. Shake it all around. And it would be better for you than watching this movie.

It's bad.

And her other screen credits are equally forgettable.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I dont want to start a war here, and in no way do I condone any terrorist activities, but lets be honest. We (U.S.) are not as "innocent" as we would all like to think.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

True Dave. It is the fault of the citizenry, not just the government.

I shall exercise my free speech and save a few hours for something more important.

As for the actor and actress Gyllenhaal: never heard of them so they can't be that important. Then again, I haven't been to the movies in 3 or more years since most of them are not worth my time or my money.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

So a no name acteress in a no name film that is obviously biased against the US says something over the top and you all are both surprised and allow yourself to get worked up about it?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Her brother has been dating Kirsten Dunst for the last couple years.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally posted by LadyCapn
    Her brother has been dating Kirsten Dunst for the last couple years.
    And that makes her what?

Why does anyone care?
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Anyone want to bet she said this only to cause some controversy, in hopes that now someone would know who she is? I already forgot her name.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Anyone want to bet she said this only to cause some controversy, in hopes that now someone would know who she is? I already forgot her name.
    Who's name?
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Go fly a Kite Maggie, we hardly care about ye....

Go figure, in her two most prominent roles she played a sexual deviant and a mousy woman who needed to be shown the way of life and independence by Julia Roberts....and her brother is a second-rate actor who actually made "The Day after Tomorrow" worse than it already was with Dennis Quaid as the lead....
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Thread Information