Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stair climber

Forum Member

Default stair climber

I just started using a stair climber at the gym, one with rotating stairs like an escalator. However it doesn't have the option of setting a pace such as 60 stairs per min. Any ideas for getting this pace?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're talking about the Stepmill made by StairMaster, level 5 or 6 SHOULD be approx. 60 stteps per min. On the number pad (above each number) should be a function (step rate, time, level, etc.). If you use the manual mode, then you can access the different functions and set your rate. Hope this helps!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

Forum Member

The step rate for this machine will be 59 steps/min there is not 60 steps/min

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Fitguy51
    The step rate for this machine will be 59 steps/min there is not 60 steps/min
    I've always wondered about that. The CPAT uses the same machine, but we can't get it to 60 and they can?

I would actually recommend training at a slightly higher level with a weight vest, that way the test is easier than your training. Too many people get on the stairmill, feel the burn, and get psyched out. I was at a CPAT once and saw two guys and a girl (three applicants in a row) who had to jump off the stairmill. The next guy finished the stairmill, but was toast for the rest. Keep hitting the stairmill hard and it will pay off.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

PREP IS KEY!! In the beginning of your prep program, I suggest doing the Stepmill at the end to build up endurance and lactic acid tolerance. Then, about 4-6 weeks from the date of your test, start doing the Stepmill in the beginning of your workout. 4-6 weeks should be enough time to get used to working in a state of fatigue. Also, come the day of the test, you know you will endure because you have practiced the stairs before anything else-it will keep your mind in the game!

Eric, I definitely agree with you about the vest and higher levels. Also, the additional weight should be progressed to 75 pounds (50lb. + 2 25lb. weights on shoulders).

Have you guys signed up for Stefano's Live Training tomorrow at 3pm? If so, I'll see you there!
    Yours in health & safety,
    Rich Meyer, Strength Coach
    Author of FAST Responders: The Ultimate Guide to Firefighter Conditioning
    www.functionalfirefitness.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets talk about the good ol' stair stepper. I understand it is not the same motion as the mill can it still be as usefull? Perhaps using the forward part of the foot only? Any tricks to this machine in prep for the CPAT?

Thanks,

Aaron

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by aaronw1
    Lets talk about the good ol' stair stepper. I understand it is not the same motion as the mill can it still be as usefull? Perhaps using the forward part of the foot only? Any tricks to this machine in prep for the CPAT?

Thanks,

Aaron
    I would be hesitant to use a stairstepper regularly. The problem with stairsteppers is that you are locked into a continous, closed-chain movement (that means that your foot never leaves the ground). For a lot of people, this causes post patellar tendonitis, because of the repitive movement. With a stairmill, or with running actual stairs, this is prevented because your body naturally takes a slightly different movement for each step.

A lot of health clubs are phasing out or removing stair steppers all together. This is because they are either genuinely concerned about their patrons or their insurance companies have threatened to raise premiums if they keep the machines.

Like any exercise, used occasionally, it is not really bad for you. I guess I would just put a stair stepper at the bottom of my list for modes of cardiovascular exercise.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your reply, I usually run trails. Just thought I would ask.

MembersZone Subscriber ckresmer's Avatar

my gym doesnt have a stair climber, just the stepper. There also aren't any places with many stairs around here, small town. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Forum Member

Default Tips

my gym doesnt have a stair climber, just the stepper. There also aren't any places with many stairs around here, small town. Anyone have any suggestions?

The best way to train for this event is to up the cardio by going up and down bleachers with a backpack with weights or the best way with a weighted vest from http://www.weightvest.com

You don’t want any surprises during the physical agility. You need to have practiced hands on with every segment of the agility. Too many candidates think they are in great shape. One who did not take advantage of the practice session told me, “Hey, that 75 pound hose pack was heavy. Humping that hose bundle up the tower, hosting and other manipulative skills, then back down the tower steps made my lungs burn (they were still burning days later) and caused the loss of valuable seconds.”

Here is a valuable tip for CPAT from Tom Dominguez

Most people who fail the CPAT fail the first event (Stair Climb/Stair Stepper), or run out of time during the last event (Ceiling Breach). People who run out of time at the breach and pull lost a few seconds at all the prior event stations because they PAUSED to THINK of how to do the event or PAUSED or SLOWED down to catch their breath.

#1 Stair Climb: No matter how hard you train for the stair stepper, your legs are going to be like rubber after you get off the machine and start pulling hose. The recovery time for rubber legs depends on your fitness. Even still, rubber legs or not, you have to get moving and keep moving, and stay moving! If you stop at anytime during the events, the clock is ticking and you are losing time.

The tendency is that as you start wearing down on the stair stepper machine, your pace and stride will change and that will affect your balance. As you lose your balance, you start to wobble and the momentum of the weight on your body increases the swaying. As the distance of the sway increases, you will make a natural grab for the handrails. Grab the rail (more than twice?) to many times and you are disqualified. Instead of “grabbing the rail”, use the back of your hand and push your self back. Adjusting your stance and concentrating will help you avoid the “wobble”. Just like wearing a SCBA, you also have to concentrate on your breathing.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter and
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Default C-PAT June 18th

Im taking the C-Pat in few weeks. I have been going to the the Gym for the past month mainly using free weights and I do 4.5 mile cross country course on the eliptical. Tonight Im going to start using weights in a courier bag on the stair climber. I feel like Im healtheir since I started working out. I lost about 7lbs. But Im still a little nervous about the CPAT.

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt Firestone

Thread Information