MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather boots question

Before you all freak out, I searched and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to justify getting leather boots for everyone on the department, and beyond the obvious comfort/safety/morale issues, I'm curious about durability. I'm betting I could get a pair of leathers to last longer than a pair of rubber boots, anyone have first hand experience? I'm also sure that I've seen someone that does leather firefighter boot repair, which may be a selling point if I can keep a pair of boots around twice as long if I can spend a few bucks on repairs.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Forum Member

I have owned my Warrington Pro 5000's for a few years now... with no problems. Leather boots are easier to maintain, can be repaired, the comfort is beyond compare. They are more expensive, but if they get more "mileage" than the standard rubber boot, they will be less expensvie and more cost effective in the long run.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I have a pair of Warrington Pros that I've had for 4 1/2 years, prior to leather I was wearing the ranger style rubber boot, "NEVER AGAIN, the shoe fit, and confort alone is worth 2 pair. Our Department currently allows us to purchase our own leather boot providing they meet the standard set by our SOP. We just recieved word from our resource Battalion Chief that we will be issued leather boots purchased by the City. Warrington Pro won the bid. As far as lasting longer your right, we have Firefighters with leather boots they have had for 7yrs and longer, prior to leather they were turning in Department issued ranger boots about every 2 yrs. Good Luck & Stay Safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Half of our problem is that quite a few of us have worn them on other departments, and my current one will not even allow us to purchase our own. Of course a bunch of folks will wear them for offsite training days, where they're a real asset if we're on our feet for two full days straight.

I'm just looking for another angle to approach our trustees at regarding potential long term cost savings. If I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we'll save them money, they'll be on board right away.

Thanks for the info from everyone so far.

Forum Member

Have them come to a drill.

Let themn wear the rubbers for the first half, then switch them into the leathers and let them see for themselves how much better they are!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather Boots

I can't remember the last time I actually wore rubber bunker boots even the shoe fit type. I've had Warrington's and the Lehigh's. Both are very ergonomic and comfortable. Much better than rubber in my opinion. They allow better dexterity and feel more part of your own foot like a shoe/sneaker vs. a slip on boot. Both can wear easily if crawling vs. duck walking etc. Leather requires more upkeep and the sole can be redone vs. the rubber. They are much more expensive, but in my opinion, worth it. Many will argue that they do not/should not be used during hazmat situations etc...Some will say they wouldn't hold up if immersed in any way in pools/puddles of hyrocarbon fuels such as gasoline etc. Wait, who stands in pools of gasoline anyway? Get my point. Keep em'clean, polished and rinse off as they get soiled. I can't guarantee you will get more life out of them vs. rubber but the comfort/fit is much better and more tolerable after hours of wear...

Forum Member

I have been wearing my TuffKings for about 5 years now and have to say they are like slippers! Better heat resistance, more durable as the leather can be nourished with regular polishing, guard better against sharp object penetration and are warmer in winter and when standing in water. I have yet to find anyone who does not like wearing leather boots. (Just keep some rubber ones on the truck for chemical jobs).
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather is the way to go! Spend all day in a pair of rubber boots then do the same in leather. You and your feet will know the difference.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

Click This

The above link has some great info on the positives and negatives of leather boots.

After presenting this to the decision makers, we are purchasing leather only!

Thread Information