Forum Member

Default Fires from CS Gas Canisters

I am asking for information from forum readers but will give you background info first.

This weekend my engine (I was riding the rescue this night) was dispatched to a SWAT standy by (I have never heard of one of our engines being sent to this before) anyway SWAT was called to a house because P.D. responded to a domestic problem and when they showed up the suspect started firing shots at the officers, with 2 officers pinned down behind a truck SWAT responded. SWAT was planning on entering the house, after the man refused to exit and surrender, by tossing in CS (Tear Gas) to try and force the man outside. They called for an engine to stage nearby. Shortly after the gas was introduced in the house and the suspect was in custody, a fire broke out in the room where one of the CS canisters was tossed. The engine standing by called a working fire. My question to you is have you responded to or heard of any fires in your areas that were a direct result of a CS gas canister.

I have looked on the net and found just a few reports of this happening. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this happening. I know the potental is there due to the propelents used to dispurse the gas causing the can to get hot.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Not as a firefighter, but as a Marine came across many brush fires that started from the discharge of smoke or CS grenades. Both use what are essentially internal flares to burn the CS or smoke for discharge. Often you will see them burn out the top side or bottom with a blow torch like effect.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 04-25-2005 at 05:33 PM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Not involving CS but.........

Several years ago, has to be about 7 or 8 years ago now, I was working and we responded third due ambulance to a triple decker that was lit up when a flash bang went off when it landed on a couch.

Lit the place up pretty quickly and it got so hot that the officers raiding ripped off armor and utilities due to the fire. Anything that has any type of explosive has the potential for causing a fire.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Interesting........ Knew about the Flashbangs, but not the smoke/CS.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

FIGJAM

My question to you is have you responded to or heard of any fires in your areas that were a direct result of a CS gas canister.
    Wasn't WACO an issue with CS or was that flashbangs?
    Luke

dazed and confused

Originally posted by lutan1

Wasn't WACO an issue with CS or was that flashbangs?
    I believe so...
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Resq14

I believe so...
    Which part?? The flashbangs or the CS???
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Banned

I have seen both flashbangs and cs canisters cause fires. I did a search and from what I read it sounds like it was a cs canister that caused the fire. But im not 100% sure about that

Forum Member

Depending on which report (pro-government or anit-government) you read will determine if the fire at the Branch Dividean in Waco was caused by CS gas Canisters being introduced inside the structure. Before I started this thread this fire was about the only one I could get information on. One report will say CS gas was the cause, another will say it could have started the fire, and another will say that it did not start the fire.
    That is the reason I posted the question wondering if anyone else out there has had a fire that was started when SWAT Teams introduced these CS Gas Canisters into a structure. We are positive that this was the cause in this fire. Not to blame the SWAT Team they had to do this to resolve the situation before it got any worse.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

CS, smoke, and flash/bang grenades are all incendiary devices, they are designed to keep the flame and heat contained in the devices, but that often fails and have been known to start massive brush fires on ranges. There should be little doubt that a fire could be started by them. It is not at all unheard of.

As for Waco, it does not matter what caused the initial ignition, the hundreds of gallons of diesel fuel that the Davidians had stashed is what caused the conflagration.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

IACOJ BOD

CS canisters get damn hot when ignited, yes it is essentialy a flare burning off the chemicals, do not pick one up with your bare hands, you will get 2nd degree burns at least.

The part in a flash bang that normaly causes the fire is the igniter, naturally after causing a loud and bright noise/flash, the igniter is damn hot and will still hold some burning residue for a few seconds.

Ever seen a mate doing the fan dance when one popped into his collar after bouncing off a wall.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Resq14

I believe so...
    I think if any of you would do some research, you would see that the independent investigation that was conducted revealed that the fiores at Waco were set by thre Davidians themselves. There were zero flash banfs or CS used prior to the fires.

This investigation was conducted by one of the foremost experts in fire dynamics and fire science in the world, Dr.James Quintere of the University of Maryland. His conclusion was that there were numerous fires set inside the building within 2 minutes of the beginning of the FBI operation.

Here is his bio. He is very, very competent.
    http://www.ems.delmar.com/firescienc.../quintere.aspx

The opposing expert, Mr. Pat Kennedy, completed not an investigation, but a critical review of the techniques used by the Quintere and his team. Even he did not cite CS or flash bangs as the cause.

I have seen a presentation by Dr. Quintere on this case. It is compelling and convincing.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 04-30-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Forum Member

Remember how Princess Diana of England used to have long hair when she married Charles? THe reason she cut it short was because she was partaking in an exercise with the SAS that was aimed at familiarising them with any eventualities that might arrise if they were kidnapped. The SAS did an exercise where they stormed the room, letting off a flash bang and shooting blanks to simulate a firefight situation. Princess Diana didnt put the hood up on her fire proof overalls and the flashbang canister rolled over to her head when she was lying on the floor and it singed all the long hair off the back of her head.

Lucky she didnt get a great big scar on the back of her head if you ask me.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Banned

Originally posted by PattyV
    Remember how Princess Diana of England used to have long hair when she married Charles? THe reason she cut it short was because she was partaking in an exercise with the SAS that was aimed at familiarising them with any eventualities that might arrise if they were kidnapped. The SAS did an exercise where they stormed the room, letting off a flash bang and shooting blanks to simulate a firefight situation. Princess Diana didnt put the hood up on her fire proof overalls and the flashbang canister rolled over to her head when she was lying on the floor and it singed all the long hair off the back of her head.

Lucky she didnt get a great big scar on the back of her head if you ask me.
    Diana did not have long hair before she married prince charles where did you get that information? Now Sarah Fergusen the Duchess Of Pork oops york she had long red hair

Forum Member

It wasnt long long just longer one day then the next

source: cant give you the nice harvard refrencing cause my brother nicked off with the book, but the author is Andy McNab, and i think the book was called 'immediate action', same author of Bravo Two Zero. An Ex-SAS man that was there when it happened.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Fergy still has long hair doesnt she?

hehehe... she was on a Jenny Craig add not too long ago.

(I have nothing against fat people. I could do to lose a few kilos as it is because i injured my shoulder and it was in a sling for along time and i couldnt really exercise)

Here is some pics to show ya.

Shorter haired Diana

Long haired Diana
    Last edited by PattyV; 04-30-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Banned

patty thats not long hair, Thats shoulder length

Banned

Andy mcnab he's a great author. I like reading his books. but do not believe all that he says in all of his books. I know a few guys that were in the regiment he served. I will have to do a search for that information. but i have to admit that would have been funny to see. I bet the guys that were there would have been worried.
    Last edited by pengman; 04-30-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

I dont think 'worried' would quite describe it!

Yeah apparently some people are starting to question Andy McNab's and Chris Ryan's version of the ill-fated Bravo Two Zero Patrol.
    Could just be conspiracy theorists with too much time on their hands though. Im not an expert so im not going to ponder too much on it.

Thread Information